VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have purchased the DVR-225 which from some researching the net I found that this is a model that is exclusive to Best Buy. I love this unit except one thing has baffled me from the get go. I like to record the NASCAR races and save them in a library of DVD's for my future enjoyment. I use the VR mode for editing out the commercials with a -RW but for some reason after finishing editing and finalizing the DVD, it will not play in any other DVD player, and even by trying to use a burner to put to a regular -R says that the DVD is empty. I have made sure that the DVD players are compatable with -RW's and all the -R's that I have made work fine in my other DVD players. I have no clue if I am doing something wrong or if this is an issue all around. I heard there is some way of finalizing a VR mode RW to a video R and it takes 20 minutes but I havent figured that out either. Can anyone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only a few DVD Players can play a DVD recorded in VR mode. Mostly this is limited to other standalone DVD recorders. In order to have DVDs playable on most DVD players you must record in Video mode and finalize the disc. DVD-R discs are always recorded in Video mode. DVD-RW can be recorded in Video or VR mode. As you know, recording in Video mode means you can't edit the recording on the Pioneer (you can edit it on a computer with certain software, however).

So in order to record a DVD with the Pioneer with which you want to later edit out commercials and play on other DVD players you'd have to do the following:
    1: Initialize the DVD-RW disc in Video mode and record your video.
    2: Finalize the disc.
    3. Transfer the content from the disc to your computer.
    4. Use MPEG extracting or editing software to get just the video you want without commercials.
    5. Burn a new DVD-R with a DVD authoring application
    6. Erase and re-use your DVD-RW in the Pioneer.

By the way, there is no reason that I can figure out to finalize a VR mode DVD. Although doing so "fixes" the recordings in place it doesn't make the disc any more or less playable on the Pioneer or other VR-playable DVD drives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your info.

Here is what I tried to do. Taped a NASCAR race onto my DVR cable box. While sleeping transfered (1x) to a DVD-RW in VR mode so I wouldnt have to watch again so soon. Edit out commercials. Put DVD-RW in standalone DVD player to play and record to a DVD-R. This theory doesnt work when the standalone wont play VR mode RW.

I understand all that you said but the kicker is this, I dont own a DVD drive or a burner for my PC. Not that I dont want one but I couldnt afford one right now so thats why Im looking at the alternative way to do this other than sitting there and pausing the recording for every commercial while watching the original recording over again.

But again thanks for your info as I am new to all this recording and editing stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dfarrarjr
    trying to use a burner to put to a regular -R says that the DVD is empty. I have made sure that the DVD players are compatable with -RW's and all the -R's that I have made work fine in my other DVD players.
    Look at this thread https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239600 and especially the reply by seb posted at Oct 11, 2004 07:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfarrarjr
    Im looking at the alternative way to do this other than sitting there and pausing the recording for every commercial while watching the original recording over again. .
    This may seem awkward but try this:
    1. Record directly to your VR mode DVD-RW instead of to your DVR.
    2. Edit out the commercials.
    3. Play the edited video back to your DVR.
    4. Record back to the Pioneer on to a Video mode DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sounds very logical but I dont think Im able to record to the cable box even though it does have an AUX input that I still havent been able to get to work either. Its the Scientific Atlanta DVR cable box if anyone knows how to get hte AUX input to work.

thanks
    Quote Quote