VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Sillyname
    Do you get the feeling that none of these douchebags even watch TV or movies? They make them, so they don't have to watch them, I guess. So where are we on this chain? And how entertaining is it really, to be rich? I imagine movies about getting rich or depicting rich people as bad guys would turn off even the most giving of the rich community. And don't all motion pictures or TV shows have some element of money screwing everything up or making everything better? What value have dreams brought to you by NABISCO?
    Yes, money is increasingly seen as the be all and end all. I think, frankly, that I'm smarter than most people, and if I won the lottery it would improve my life. I don't think it would massively increase our happiness though, because as it is I'm hardly wanting, except for frivolous toys I don't really need. It's a fact that most lottery winners, a year after winning, are no happier than they were before. I think that's partly attributable to money not being as good as people think, and partly attributable to the general stupidity of the demographic that typically wins lotteries; they're too stupid to deal with it.

2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, but it would be fun to test the theory

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Yeah, but it would be fun to test the theory
    Until you get used to it and want that next big thing. Like a dictator's heart on top of your Christmas tree.
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.

Search Comp PM
    i'm supprised there has not been a big complaint over the fact that you pay for cable , but late night programming is 90% shopping crap

and that the amount of advertising seems to have increased on what is left ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    i'm supprised there has not been a big complaint over the fact that you pay for cable , but late night programming is 90% shopping crap

and that the amount of advertising seems to have increased on what is left ...
    Cable's free at my apartment but I get what you mean. 8)
    Your miserable life is not worth the reversal of a Custer decision.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't help but notice that the sponsors of the bill are Republicans.

You (in the US) had the opportunity to do something about this on 2 November !

Now you'll just have to wait for "four more years" - with apologies to the Democrats among you.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think an important point that nobody is talking about is that more and more the US Govt. is working in the interests of big business and not the individual citizen. Who profits? Not the employees (and neither do they loose out when movies are "pirated, since, last time I checked, they didn't get a percentage of ticket sales). It's all the big fat balding guys at the top (who often milk the company and then split b4 it goes bankrupt). Think any of these so-called public servants (law makers) profit as well? Hmm... I wonder.

BTW, all this is possible thanks to the sheep in us all (baa, baa). How long have they been showing 15 minutes (or more) of commercials at the movie theaters (ad's and trailers)? Where was the big uprising? Even here in LA, where we pay $12 to $14 to see a movie, we have to sit through 15 minutes of crap first. I've yet to hear anyone complain about Bruce or Julia making $15 mil a pic. Who do you think is paying for that?

My point is, they will get away with whatever you let them get away with. And the (very) small percentage of folks here who "back up" won't affect that.

Originally Posted by Stewart

Really? Was somebody running against Bush?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stewart
    I couldn't help but notice that the sponsors of the bill are Republicans.

Now you'll just have to wait for "four more years" - with apologies to the Democrats among you.
    First, that's starting to get political. Second, most of congress is Democrat and they were the ones who are pushing the bill. You might want to look a little closer.

Aside from that fact, and getting back on topic, the bill is being shot down for the fact that if they were ever to allow it, there is immediate legislation to limit the amount of sponsored ads that can be shown at the beginning of the movie, and for how long. This is financial disaster for DVD making companies because they can put as many sponsors and previews on the disc that space will allow, right now. There was a bill shot down several years back (FYI - heavily by the Democrat side) to make all sponsored items to only be seen or viewed in the end credits of a movie or show. Believe it or not, George Lucas was in favor of this, considering there are no credits at all in the begining of his StarWars movies, other than the Fox intro, and now the THX intro.

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry but I thought it was factual.

So the British Media got it wrong - we have been told that Congress has a Republican majority which had been increased.

And from the New York Post:

" Beltway insiders say that McCain and the bill's sponsors, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), are currently trying to "talk through" the trouble spots in the legislation, but Congress might try to push through the bill during the lame-duck session that began this week"

10. This is not really a Democrat or Republican thing. Both sides accept money from business and most companies that contribute give to both sides. This is just plain dumb.
    Still a few bugs in the system...