VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 63
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Yet another new version with bugfixes mainly.

Including some evil black-frame(16:9) misrenderings.

And now the animation menu respects the aspect ratio.

Have fun,
    tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/~tin2tin/DVDsGUI060B7setup.exe does not work....have you uploaded it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    fix the latest version download link!

should it be https://www.videohelp.com/~tin2tin/DVDsGUI060setup.exe ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's should up now - sorry.

Please let me know if you run into any bugs.

Have fun,

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  5. Found some bugs on avi loading, added a preview avi feature, and uploaded the new version.

Tin2tin[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  6. Updated to 0.60 beta 9
    - Check space left on harddisk when export/preview.
    - M2v noaudio preset for Quenc
    - Load wav bugfix.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  7. My time is very limited - but I uploaded a new beta9 with the latest QuEnc - it seems less buggy - though it might have broken the 4:3 vs. 1:1 ratio setting. I have to look into that sometime...

I've used the same name for uploading: 0.60 Beta9.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wonder is this proggy only working on my computer!?

I could use some feedback from you people.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, here you go. Just spent a few minutes with the prog, further evaluation pending.

Like the auto-resize for correct aspect ratio.

Love the animation tool, with ability to save presets. Haven't seen anything like this on any other slideshow tool. Setting the keys seems a little glitchy, mostly in preview. Preview is however very important when creating new presets. May be CPU related, see below. Final output gave the desired result, but I wasn't sure from the preview.

Need the ability to make the thumbnails larger for easier re-arrangement.

Need a smoother way to change slide position in the show. Current method not sufficient for large number of slides.

Preview mode not working correctly for me. Could be my CPU, Athlon 1700. Several slides were skipped, animation did not display correctly, dissolves did not display correctly. Final output was correct.

Safe area dotted lines should be switchable. Handy for preview, but definitely unwanted for final output. It appears I need to make a blank JPG and use this for backround? Blanking the box uses last entered JPG.
    Now I have to look for the dotted-line backround to put it back, as it is useful for the animation. Not a big deal, but a checkbox in addition to a backround picture would be useful.

Haven't tried sound yet, also need to play with the arrangement tools. If the move up\move down arrows are all there is, this is almost a no-go item.

Would also like the ability to output to AVI, though this is easily accomplished by loading script into VDUB, though I assume prog deletes it when finished? Need option to save.

Also would like option to use already installed version of AviSynth. While this raises the possibility of your script not working with my AviSynth, forcing the install raises the possibility of MY Avisynth scripts no longer working, which, to me at least, is a bigger problem.

Nice work, worthy of further investigation.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks Nelson37 for spending your time on this!
    Like the auto-resize for correct aspect ratio.
    Love the animation tool

Need a smoother way to change slide position in the show. Current method not sufficient for large number of slides.
    With Shift+Left mouse button or Ctrl+left mouse button you can select more slides and move them.
    Preview mode not working correctly for me.
    Hmm gotta look into that.
    Would also like the ability to output to AVI, though this is easily accomplished by loading script into VDUB, though I assume prog deletes it when finished? Need option to save.
    I haven't found a good avs to avi commandline tool and there is too much troubles to figure what codecs are installed - so encoding to a avi codec errors could be avoided.

When using the preview the temp files will first be deleted after closing media player classic. So without closing the m-p-c you can run the temp avs in vdub. (I know it's a bit clumsy, but it works)

I think it will work with any avisynth version higher than 2.5 - and during install you can just cancel installing the avisynth included in the dvdslideshowgui pagage. It should work as long you have some avisynth version higher than 2.5 installed.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  11. Text position for NTSC 720x480 is outside the TV display area.

Trying to use a created animation preset results in a "no keys for current image", or something similar. I know you just got this working but this means you cannot re-use an animation.

But before that, you have GOT to fix the re-arrangement feature. Need drag-and-drop, preferably with a grid display of picture only and the ability to increase picture size. A couple of pre-determined sizes would be sufficient.

Imagine 99 slides in a list. Number 98 needs to be moved to number 2, number 87 needs to move to number 5, Number 10 to number 72, etc. Get the picture? Moving by arrow key just will not cut it. Don't get me wrong, many of the big boys make the same mistake, while getting the aspect ratio wrong, fewer transitions, and no animation.

Nice work here, fix a couple of things and you'll have the best slideshow program on the market. And I've tried most, have about 1200 slides to put into a show.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Text position for NTSC 720x480 is outside the TV display area.
    Right click in the presets window to move the text position.

Trying to use a created animation preset results in a "no keys for current image", or something similar. I know you just got this working but this means you cannot re-use an animation.
    First you must select a preset - then you must load it - by the open file button.

But before that, you have GOT to fix the re-arrangement feature. Need drag-and-drop, preferably with a grid display of picture only and the ability to increase picture size. A couple of pre-determined sizes would be sufficient..
    Drag-and-drop isn't supported in wxbasic - the programming language. Changing the size of the tumbs could be done.

Imagine 99 slides in a list. Number 98 needs to be moved to number 2, number 87 needs to move to number 5, Number 10 to number 72, etc. Get the picture? Moving by arrow key just will not cut it. Don't get me wrong, many of the big boys make the same mistake, while getting the aspect ratio wrong, fewer transitions, and no animation.
    The present options is to odrer images in alphabetic order(in the menu) - using the arrows icons or short-cut keys.

Nice work here, fix a couple of things and you'll have the best slideshow program on the market. And I've tried most, have about 1200 slides to put into a show.
    Thanks a lot.
    Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  13. Text OK, animations OK.

Somewhat related to the Preview issue, setting precise position for text or picture box in animations is difficult with mouse only. I get a lot of lag between movement and display. Slid the picture clear off the screen once and couldn't grab it any more. How about an X and Y position indicator for both animation keys and text? Could transitions be inserted into the animation? Could you butter my toast for me?

How about selectable color and/or transparency for text?

On both the load preset for animation and the import files - this should be a one-click process. When I select files, I want them in the show. Shouldn't have to select them twice. Same with the animation preset. Should activate when selected, instead of Select and then Load.

Backround file and dotted lines should be checkbox selectable. Clear box for no backround, check second box for Show Dotted lines Instead of backround image. Check this for initial preview, off for final preview and export. In code, would just use lines.jpg instead of backround.jpg.

Encoder should start automatically with default settings, or have checkbox option for this. Export should Export, not get halfway there and stop.

How to lock to NTSC setting? Keeps defaulting to PAL.

What the hell does "exposition" do?

These are all relatively minor quibbles.

The arrangement thing is a killer. How about a position variable on each slide, ie click on slide 99, change position number to 5, enter. Needing 94 mouse clicks to do this simply will not work. Also need ability to make thumbnails larger.

How about a simulated drag-and-drop? You have mouseclick selectability. Seperate each slide with an empty slot. Click on slide 99, then click on empty slot between 1 and 2. Dialog pops up, "move this slide to position#2? - OK." Positions redraw, empty slots re-created. Dialog box perhaps not needed. Obviously, empty slots removed on preview and display. Maybe a "move"menu option which would bump it in front of next selected slide, this would eliminate the empties.

The ability to arrange the slides in proper order by sight is absolutely crucial. Renaming is a work-around for small numbers of files, but not for large numbers. Particularly as proper order not always obvious and may be changed several times.

You've passed several of my tests :
    Do I keep it? yes
    Can I use it? yes
    Would I recommend it to fellow geeks? yes

The arrangement problem knocks it down a bit:
    Is it now primary app for this task? no
    Would I pay for it? yes, but not much (miss lunch at Wendy's)
    Would I recommend it to my customers? yes, with reservations

With better arrangement, those would be:
    yes, and other slideshow apps deleted from hard drive
    yes, and low double digits, too (dinner at Red Lobster)
    absolutely as the best one I know of

I think you are close to something commercially viable. Don't know if that's your goal. But I certainly appreciate your efforts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. There appears to be a maximum import limit of less than 340 and greater than 230.

There appears to be a maximum encode size of less than 230 and greater than 180.

Resize keeps aspect ratio, but need an option to resize to full-screen view.

Still checking, some minor glitches but only one killer.

The re-arrangement method is simply not usuable for much over 20 slides.

BUT, the creatable transitions and animations make it worth further study.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for testing it!

This is just a quick reply, I'll look deeper into your thoughts later.

But concerning the re-arrangment of the images. Why don't you use copy/paste/cut to reorder the images? Cutting and pasting is pretty much the same as the menu-drag-and-drop idea. When pasting the images in the buffer(cut/copy) will be added above the first selected image(highlighted).

And using the '-' or '+' keys on the keyboard will move the images fast without using the mouse.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  16. Cut and paste seems to work OK.

Am getting seemingly random issues with files being skipped. It is in the AVS script, I preview with VDUB before encode. Reboot seems to temporarily solve issue. Slides skipped will vary when the problem arises.

Increase thumbnail size needed, I suppose a 2-d grid would not be possible, eh?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tin2tin
    Uploaded a new version... with all in one exe.

Have fun,
    Tin2tin
    I discovered DVD Slideshow GUI 2 weeks ago and have been putting Version 8Beta through testing. There is a Version 9 mentioned on the forum, has this been released? Are you still developing the program?
    I would be keen to provide feedback for what it may be worth.
    Regards,
    Ballywho
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just downloaded this too (also about 2 weeks ago). I've been able to use it with some success but have had the following problems:

1) occasionally slides will show up in the resulting video as complete garbage. If I start the process over again, it will either be fine, or different slides will be messed up. Usually I can get around this by just doing 1 pass encoding - not sure why that works.

2) I can't get sound to work at all. As the doumentation suggests, I feed it a 44.1kHz wav file and while nothing chokes, there is absolutely no sound in the resulting mpg output.

Issue #1 is a minor annoyance for me.
    Issue #2 is a major hassle - if someone can point me in the right direction for how to debug this, I would be grateful.

(Actually I could probably get around issue #2 if I could figure out how to mux the audio file with another process - however both of the DVDAuthor GUI's use mplex and that doesn't seem to be happy with the ac3 converted from the .wav used - there has to be another way)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dupcak, 44.1khz is not dvd standard. mplex needs 48khz
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dupcak, 44.1khz is not dvd standard. mplex needs 48khz
    Right, but DVD SlideshowGui is supposed to do the conversion according to the documentation. If I do the conversion outside of DSG, it still doesn't work.

Everything I send to mplex (through the DVDAuthor GUI's) is 48kHz. Rather than pollute this thread, I'll open up a new question relating to the mplex issue.

- Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had many issues with wav files and even getting the encoding part of the process working properly. I now have a series of settings I use for cretaing successful output. I am not sure if there is one of the settings I use that is un-neccessary but I can't be bothered trying without them.
    One setting I stick by is that I save my wav files at 48kHz.

ducpak - Specifically on your problem of no sound. While learning how to use DVD Slideshow GUI I had crashed out so many times and created some really bad mpegs. Then I found that no sound was being added to my slideshows. I could not even create a 2 slide show with sound track. In the end I resorted to uninstalling the program and re-installing. This resolved the issue and I have not looked back.
    Cheers ballywho
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ballywho - Thanks! I had to uninstall and reboot (just a plain uninstall didn't work) and now I have sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dupcak
    @ballywho - Thanks! I had to uninstall and reboot (just a plain uninstall didn't work) and now I have sound.
    Glad I could be of help.
    Another consideration as you progress :
    For some reason I could create mpegs that would play nicely with the packaged Media Player Classic V6.4.8.2, but when I tried playing them using Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3802 the picture would stop after about 4 slides. I ignored this and burnt a DVD anyway.
    The same result was then evident in my expensive Pioneer DVD player, after the same 4 slides the show stopped and returned to the menu screen. In a younger cheap Chinese (no offense to anyone) player the DVD worked fine. Very frustrating. I messed around with the configuration settings for QuEnc and almost completely resolved this issue. I tick the Auto Max Bitrate under Advance settings and un-tick Use VBR. I say almost because one sequence on my latest DVD exhibits the problem (I may have forgotten to adjust the settings)
    The explaination for these changes to the defaults allude me - but it works.
    Have fun
    Ballywho
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also played around with "Use VBR" and have sometimes unchecked that option. However my latest trick is to use just single pass encoding (uncheck the option for 2 pass encoding) This seems to give me consistently functional results.

Given that the "scenes" aren't really changing 1 pass should be good enough. The transition points are the only real change and depending on the transition type, you can't really tell how the encoding affects the quality. Of course I could be completely wrong about all of this.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I tried this program and Irfan View since they seem to be small, intuitive programs and they are free but I get the same problem with both that I haven't gotten on some other slideshow software such as from Ulead. I get an error message saying that it can't find the decompressor for the file type MJPG. I tried loading up another AVI file (divx) and I got the same error message except for file type divx 4.

I only downloaded the DVD slideshow GUI and no other programs. Am I missing some program that the GUI needs to work with AVI files? Please help me overcome this problem. For me, if I can't work with AVI files in the program, it's a little useless. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I tested Beta 9
    https://www.videohelp.com/~tin2tin/DVDsGUI060B9setup.exe
    It uses QuEnc 0.59

I made a small sample slideshow (4 images)
    Exported it as a DVD Folder
    The VOB file that was created was on 5Mb

I then changed the QuEnc 0.59 to QuEnc 0.61
    and did the same thing all over,
    and now the VOB file was 3Mb large.

/Hubbabub
    Hubba hubba zoot zoot.......... :)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Been away for a long time - sorry about that. Most of the things you guys have been running into - I don't know how to solve.

The beta9 was pulled was because QuEnc 0.61 didn't work with dsg on my computer and still doesn't... if DSG beta9 is used(fewer bugs than beta8) - I would recommend using QuEnc 0.59. (EDIT: Just found out that it's the avisynth included in beta9 which coursed the problems - beta9 can be used - but only with the avisynth included in beta8 2.5 )

I've found out that HC works fine - when exporting .m2v files - just change the encoder under Presets - and add '*wait 0' in the HC.ini file.

The sound issues. Sound on imported avis works - but not if the sound/music is added under Presets - nor does the ac3 export work. I'll have to look into that some day.
    (EDIT: As long as you install the avisynth version included - the music will be fine. )

The slowing down during opening a folder with many images is due to creating all the tumbnails - I might switch that feature off or make it selectable.

@resonence - it sound like you have to google and download/install decompressers for the missing codec's.

QuEnc - just make sure that the mux profile is set to dvd and leave the rest alone. Changing the ratio ect. in Quenc course errors. Let DSG handle the settings for you.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  28. The next version will fix some bugs.
    Add optional tumbnails for faster directory opening.
    Add import of mp3.
    Add more than 50 new transitions.
    Let you code your own transitions.

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Tin2Tin,

Since you're actively working on this I thought I'd post a few requests - feel free to ignore...

When I generated an mpg file (sound included) and then authored with "Gui for DVDAuthor", the following warning came up:

Code:
    STAT: Processing f:\Photo\Attitash-2005\AttitashSlideshow.mpg...
    WARN: System header found, but PCI/DSI information is not where expected
    	(make sure your system header is 18 bytes!)
    WARN: Skipping sector, waiting for first VOBU...
    STAT: VOBU 16 at 5MB, 1 PGCS
    Nothing bad happens, but the warning was a little concerning - can anything be done about it - or is it completely harmless and can be ignored?

My actual requests are as follows:

1) Can this be run from the usual "C:\Program Files\..." directory, the space seems to cause problems - can the old "C:\PROGRA~1" work-around be used inside the code?

2) Can the self-insall executable be set up to give the user a little more flexibility - such as not automatically create icons/entries in the start menu?

#2 is a VERY low priority in my opinion, but #1 is a little higher priority.

Thanks for reading,
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi Dupcak,

Thanks for testing it.

The first thing you mention is something I don't know anything about. I've tried to add a dsg mpg to gfd and there were no warnings. You can always test it on a RW disc or throw the resulting dvdfolders from gfd at mpc to see if there are working.

BTW do you know that youre able to export chapters from dsg to import in gfd - so you can make chapters fro eact new image?

1)+2) I've had a crash and lost my instalation files for dsg - so I'll have to rewrite it now. I think atm. it is possible to install dsg anywhere you like without troubles. Maybe you could test it for me?

Tin2tin
    Quote Quote