VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is specifically for panasonic owners. I personally use prodiscs but would be interested if anyone has had any success with lesser known brands.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What's wrong with Prodisc? I've used them in my Panasonic and JVC standalones, along with my burner, great discs. I wouldn't try to skimp on pennies by using a cheaper brand myself, Prodiscs work excellent for me. I tried a few other brands, I won't do it again, except TY.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Riteks and sony for my dmr-e80h
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All stand alone DVD recorders that I know of, including specifically (as in this is confirmed) the Panasonic models, only record up to 4.0GB on a DVD-R (this also includes DVD-RAM).

The benefit is that most of the crap media is fine up to that point ... which I am guessing is why they imposed that restriction ... unless it has something to do with not breaking the 4GB barrier in terms of the "operating system" they use internally.

However I have found (and others have found this out as well) that DVD-R discs recorded in a Panny stand alone are not 100% compatable with all DVD players even when that DVD player normally is fine with DVD-R discs burnt on a computer based DVD burner.

Yes I have found (and this is not too surprising) that my 2 DVD players will play Panny stand alone DVD-R discs without issues if the disc is a Taiyo Yuden DVD-R ... I have also had Maxell DVD-R (the MADE IN JAPAN variety) and even a few Ritek DVD-R discs that worked A-OK in the same fashion. However I have had a variety of other different brands that have not worked when used with a Panny stand alone DVD recorder (as in choppy playback on my 2 regular DVD players). For shits n' giggles I burned on some of these same brands with my computer burner and they worked A-OK on my 2 DVD players so it must have something to do with the way they work (i.e., record) on the Panny standalones.

So even though the stand alone DVD recorders "protect you" to an extent against cheap ass media (due to the 4GB limit) you still have to consider compatability when playing those discs back on other DVD players and it seems the better the quality of the DVD-R used the better the compatability and while this is a general rule with DVD-R media my point is it seems even more crucial when using the Panny stand alone DVD recorders.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. I never had any problems with Panasonic recorded DVD-R discs playing in anything, even when I used Optocrap discs. How much worse can you get when it comes to media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So far out of 200 some prodiscs ... only one messed up.

When I took a closer look at the disk ... it had a weird blemish on the edge. Almost as if the laser got stuck and stayed in one spot and melted it. Of course I dont believe that is what happened.

Had I looked at it before putting it in the tray I could say more but I didn't.

They work fine for my Panasonic DMR 50

I'm getting them for 100 ... under $50 bucks at

www.Supermediastore.com

They send them to me in 2.5 days ... super quick.

I have used CompUSA ... 2X brand but ... they fail all the time when I use them to burn in my computer burner. So I stopped buying them.

By the way ... at Walmart dot com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3168978&cat=105664&type=19&dept=...62055%3A124623

Panasonic DMRE55K DVD Recorder with Time Slip

$288.00 IN STOCK ... online only

Panasonic DIGA DVD recorders make it easier than ever to record your favorite shows, movies and more. They're easy to program, and there's never any need to search for open space on your disc, or worry about overwriting important recordings: they automatically record to the available space left on the disc and play recordings back seamlessly.
    Model No. DMR-E55K
    Quote Quote