VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. When I switched to SP2, my dvd burner only wrote junk past the 3.5GB mark. It's definitely the SP2 upgrade because when I uninstall it, everything is ok again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I looked around and noticed that while some people have had SP2 problems, dvd burning usually isn't one of them. Surely, I'm not the only person.

FYI: I have been burning Ritek G04s to a Pioneer 105 (firmware v1.30) using Nero 6.6. Before SP2, perfect. After SP2, junk. Uninstall SP2, perfect again. Can't figure it out.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awai
    Can't figure it out.
    Microsoft sucks !

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

3. I had no problems at all with SP2....

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    When I switched to SP2, my dvd burner only wrote junk past the 3.5GB mark. It's definitely the SP2 upgrade because when I uninstall it, everything is ok again.

Has this happened to anyone else? I looked around and noticed that while some people have had SP2 problems, dvd burning usually isn't one of them. Surely, I'm not the only person.

FYI: I have been burning Ritek G04s to a Pioneer 105 (firmware v1.30) using Nero 6.6. Before SP2, perfect. After SP2, junk. Uninstall SP2, perfect again. Can't figure it out.
    Uhhh...There is nothing wrong with SP2.

You may need a firmware upgrade.

Sp2 was deemed safe to install.

Sp2 addresses security and that is it.

5. Originally Posted by bazooka

Obviously not. Like I said, before SP2 (SP1 in fact), all ok. Install, not ok. Uninstall, ok again.

Why should I need a firmware upgrade?

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have heard many a people complain about the SP2, & not about this problem either...... a wide range of problems...

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka

Obviously not. Like I said, before SP2 (SP1 in fact), all ok. Install, not ok. Uninstall, ok again.

Because Xp sp2 is almost a brand new Operating system

You also need to update your programs.

8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    I have heard many a people complain about the SP2, & not about this problem either...... a wide range of problems...
    Because they do not update their programs. That is the person's fault, not Service pack 2.

9. Originally Posted by bazooka

Well, if it's almost a brand new OS, then it doesn't just address security does it?

That's my point. It did other things too. And screw my DVD burner is one of them.

By the way, as a test, I went from a complete repartition to an XP install to SP2 and the problem was there. I uninstalled SP2, and it worked again. And the only thing I installed was Nero 6.6, which is SP2 compliant. So, my system is very very clean. There is no non-upgraded software installed to blame this on.

The only things I didn't do are upgrade my system BIOS (which because of a bug, I actually can't and it shouldn't matter because recent upgrades haven't addressed anything SP2 specific - I have a Dell Dimension 8100) and upgrade my burner's firmware (which again, I don't see what difference that should make).

Search Comp PM
    There is no non-upgraded software installed to blame this on.
    Perhaps a firmware update but who knows if there is one for your DVD burner.

I don't know what you have but as a "for instance" I have a NEC ND-1300A which was considered a VERY good burner at the time it came out.

It still is a good burner and I have no problems with it as long as I use good media (Like Taiyo Yuden DVD-R or Maxell made in Japan DVD-R) but my point is ... this is now an "old" model and there hasn't been a firmware update in a long time nor do I expect there to be one again for this model.

So you might look for a firmware upgrade ... if you can find one for your burner. I guess it all depends on how currnet your model is etc.

P.S.
    I just noticed what model/make of DVD burner you have and it is an "old" model so do look but I would be surprised if you found a new firmware to address SP2 ... but you never know.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci

11. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    So you might look for a firmware upgrade ... if you can find one for your burner. I guess it all depends on how currnet your model is etc.
    There is a firmware 1.33 for the 105, but it came out over a year ago and I didn't want to mess with it since v1.30 works fine in XP and XP SP1.

I realize there will always be people who say, "SP2 works for me" and for those people, great.

I'm interested to hear from people for whom SP2 screws up their DVD burner or if anyone knows if SP2 messed with the SPTI interface or DVD/CD drivers.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Well, if it's almost a brand new OS, then it doesn't just address security does it?

That's my point. It did other things too. And screw my DVD burner is one of them.

By the way, as a test, I went from a complete repartition to an XP install to SP2 and the problem was there. I uninstalled SP2, and it worked again. And the only thing I installed was Nero 6.6, which is SP2 compliant. So, my system is very very clean. There is no non-upgraded software installed to blame this on.

The only things I didn't do are upgrade my system BIOS (which because of a bug, I actually can't and it shouldn't matter because recent upgrades haven't addressed anything SP2 specific - I have a Dell Dimension 8100) and upgrade my burner's firmware (which again, I don't see what difference that should make).
    Look who has an attitude problem.

Someone else has told you to look for a firmware upgrade.

There could be any number of possibilities.

You should also be able to flash your bios. I just find it funny that evry pc I build or repair has sp2 and never has a problem.

I also heard many others say they do not have a problem so there is no reason for your tude.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    There is a firmware 1.33 for the 105, but it came out over a year ago and I didn't want to mess with it since v1.30 works fine in XP and XP SP1.
    I have used firmware 1.33 with my 105 since it came out. Recently upgraded(?) to SP2. I use Nero 5.5.10.56...never liked the 6.x versions...and never saw a reason to go with anything different.

Only problem that I saw after SP2 was something screwy with Outlook Express...but nothing else so far...

mastersmurfie
    just a thought

mastersmurfie

14. Originally Posted by bazooka
    Like what? That's what I'd like to know and the purpose of the original post.

15. Actually, there's something else I'd add. If I use Maxells, the 105 still seems to work perfectly. If I use a non-branded disc, like a Ritek or a Prodisc, it writes crap past 3.5 GB.

So, if I only used Maxells or TYs (that would be nice, but it would be too expensive), then I'd probably be saying, no problems at all with SP2.

So I should clarify. SP2, for some inexplicable reason, has rendered my 105 unable to burn Riteks specifically.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Spyware

You could be running Fat32

You could need a firmware update on your burner like I said.

You might need that Bios update on your motherboard.

What version of Nero 6.6 are you running? The newest version is 6.6.01

Those are just a few possibilities.

Did you install sp1 then sp2?

Sp2 has all the updates of sp1.

Did you do the update or install the full network version?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mastersmurfie
    I have used firmware 1.33 with my 105 since it came out. Recently upgraded(?) to SP2. I use Nero 5.5.10.56...never liked the 6.x versions...and never saw a reason to go with anything different.
    I think that is your answer.

It definately sounds worth it to upgrade your DVD burner's firmware.

Although ... if I may say so ... NERO totally sucks donkey balls at DVD burning so the problem just might be NERO and nothing more.

However since the newest version of NERO claims to be SP2 compatable while also claiming to burn DVD discs (two big stretches there if you ask me) then you might as well update the firmware.

If you STILL have trouble after that then obviously find something other than NERO to burn.

My suggestion would be the classic version of ImgTools (must be classic version and nothing else) along with DVD Decrypter. It's a bad ass combo.

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, there's something else I'd add. If I use Maxells, the 105 still seems to work perfectly. If I use a non-branded disc, like a Ritek or a Prodisc, it writes crap past 3.5 GB.

So, if I only used Maxells or TYs (that would be nice, but it would be too expensive), then I'd probably be saying, no problems at all with SP2.

So I should clarify. SP2, for some inexplicable reason, has rendered my 105 unable to burn Riteks specifically.
    That is a firmware issue and not sp2.

Search Comp PM
    Actually, there's something else I'd add. If I use Maxells, the 105 still seems to work perfectly. If I use a non-branded disc, like a Ritek or a Prodisc, it writes crap past 3.5 GB.

Oh my ... this wasn't up when I started to make my last post.

Stop being a cry baby ... Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs are the absolute best and a 50 pack at RIMA.COM is down to $30.00 plus S&H

If for some reason you don't want to buy on-line you can find MADE IN JAPAN Fuji DVD-R packs on sale somtimes. The Fuji DVD-R packs that say MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo Yuden. Even the excellent Maxell MADE IN JAPAN DVD-R discs are getting very cheap in retail stores especially when they are on sale, which happens very often now.

I guess I could understand the tight pocket book approach when Ritek was $1.00 each and Taiyo Yuden was double that or more but really now you are just causing yourself a lot of grief by trying to use cheap media.

We don't want to hear your problems about Ritek if Taiyo Yuden works well. Trying to get Ritek to work is like trying to get a junk car to run without stalling out.

Search Comp PM
    maybe you got a bad batch of Riteks or Prodiscs?

I must add, I have never had a problem at all burning with Nero (other than my own errors...) to either TDK (my preferred blank media) or the PRINCOs(!!!) that I bought a looooooong time ago.

mastersmurfie
    just a thought

mastersmurfie

21. Originally Posted by bazooka
    Spyware

You could be running Fat32

You could need a firmware update on your burner like I said.

You might need that Bios update on your motherboard.

What version of Nero 6.6 are you running? The newest version is 6.6.01

Those are just a few possibilities.

Did you install sp1 then sp2?

Sp2 has all the updates of sp1.

Did you do the update or install the full network version?
    No spyware. Installed from scratch.

NTFS.

Nero 6.6.0.0. I looked at the changelog for Nero 6.6.0.01 and saw nothing there to indicate it should be an issue.

It failed on XP->SP2 (windows update install).

As for the BIOS upgrades, I'd like to know what things SP2 is doing that SP1 was not that requires BIOS changes for my MB or a firmware change. for the burner.

To be honest, everything thing works now on SP1 and I don't have another few days and another half spindle to test. So I guess I'll just keep things as is.

I was primarily interested to hear if anyone else had burner problems as a result of SP2.

Search Comp PM
    I was primarily interested to hear if anyone else had burner problems as a result of SP2.
    Yes it was evident that this was what you were interested in HOWEVER logic dictates that in the end what you really want is for your current hardware to work correctly under SP2 and yet you refuse to really try much of anything such as the firmware upgrade.

So screw you and STFU

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As for the BIOS upgrades, I'd like to know what things SP2 is doing that SP1 was not that requires BIOS changes for my MB or a firmware change. for the burner.
    You are trying to make sp2 a scapegoat, and it is not. The firmware update on the burner is to insure proper compatility with certain discs. You should always look for firmware updates.

It is also good to look for bios updates, because there are certain features that need support that may be added with the next update.

To be honest, everything thing works now on SP1 and I don't have another few days and another half spindle to test. So I guess I'll just keep things as is.
    Suit yourself, but I don't want to hear if your computer gets a virus or gets hacked. There are certain viruses and worms that sp2 is immune to that sp1 is not.

No

If you do not keep your computer updated, then it is Yourfault, not SP2.

24. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I guess I could understand the tight pocket book approach when Ritek was $1.00 each and Taiyo Yuden was double that or more but really now you are just causing yourself a lot of grief by trying to use cheap media.

We don't want to hear your problems about Ritek if Taiyo Yuden works well. Trying to get Ritek to work is like trying to get a junk car to run without stalling out.
    Well, the point is. Before, ok. After, not ok. Uninstall, ok again.

Obviously, SP2 is doing something different and I was curious to know what it is.

The purpose of the post was to
    1. see if anyone else had similar problems with their burner (perhaps of another make)
    2. Perhaps find out how SP2 is communicating differently with DVD/CD devices.

25. I couldn't do anything with either of my burners, I'd put in a disc the burner would read it then the computer would lock and I would have to manually shut it down. I'll stick with SP1.

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

Well, the point is. Before, ok. After, not ok. Uninstall, ok again.

Obviously, SP2 is doing something different and I was curious to know what it is.

The purpose of the post was to
    1. see if anyone else had similar problems with their burner (perhaps of another make)
    2. Perhaps find out how SP2 is communicating differently with DVD/CD devices.
    just update your computer and STFU.

SP2 is not the issue.

27. Do you have stock in Microsoft or what?

28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    I couldn't do anything with either of my burners, I'd put in a disc the burner would read it then the computer would lock and I would have to manually shut it down. I'll stick with SP1.
    You are not doing things right as well so stfu.

You need a bios update.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Do you have stock in Microsoft or what?
    No, but I keep both my systems updated.

30. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Yes it was evident that this was what you were interested in HOWEVER logic dictates that in the end what you really want is for your current hardware to work correctly under SP2 and yet you refuse to really try much of anything such as the firmware upgrade.

So screw you and STFU

That's kind of unfair. I spent 5 days trying so many different things. Different disc brands. Different OS. ASPI vs. SPTI. Different versions of Nero. Other burning apps.

The firmware change on the burner was the next thing I was going to try. The only reason I didn't is because I didn't want to change it, and then have it not work in SP1 either. Since after 5 days, everything is working again on SP1, I decided just to leave it alone and to get back to the work that's been piling up for 5 days.

Like I said, I just wanted to know if anyone else had any burner related problems as a result of SP2. And if the answer is no, then great. I know it's just me. I don't know why this has become so contentious.