VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 94
Thread
  1. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awai
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by awai
    I was primarily interested to hear if anyone else had burner problems as a result of SP2.
    Yes it was evident that this was what you were interested in HOWEVER logic dictates that in the end what you really want is for your current hardware to work correctly under SP2 and yet you refuse to really try much of anything such as the firmware upgrade.

    So screw you and STFU

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman
    That's kind of unfair. I spent 5 days trying so many different things. Different disc brands. Different OS. ASPI vs. SPTI. Different versions of Nero. Other burning apps.

    The firmware change on the burner was the next thing I was going to try. The only reason I didn't is because I didn't want to change it, and then have it not work in SP1 either. Since after 5 days, everything is working again on SP1, I decided just to leave it alone and to get back to the work that's been piling up for 5 days.

    Like I said, I just wanted to know if anyone else had any burner related problems as a result of SP2.
    You did not. You asked me why it is necessary. I am telling you it has nothing to do with sp2.

  2. Originally Posted by bazooka
    You did not. You asked me why it is necessary. I am telling you it has nothing to do with sp2.
    Ok. Thanks for the info you've provided.

  3. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awai
    I don't know why this has become so contentious.
    It is so contentious because you refuse to update your computer and want to complain and blame it on something other than yourself for not updating your computer.

  4. Member FulciLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA in the USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    Originally Posted by awai
    I don't know why this has become so contentious.
    It is so contentious because you refuse to update your computer and want to complain and blame it on something other than yourself for not updating your computer.
    It has become contentious because are you being an ass about it ... plus what bazooka said

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

  5. Member mastersmurfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    I am telling you it has nothing to do with sp2
    I must say that I have to agree with this. I have no idea what your other specs are (your computer details aren't filled in), but I have the exact same burner, with SP2 and have not had any problems at all.

    Originally Posted by aiwa
    That's kind of unfair. I spent 5 days trying so many different things. Different disc brands. Different OS. ASPI vs. SPTI. Different versions of Nero. Other burning apps.

    The firmware change on the burner was the next thing I was going to try.
    maybe had you said this first, things would have transpired differently...

    try the firmware upgrade...see if that helps. If not, then stick with what works...

    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    just a thought

    mastersmurfie

  6. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Down under
    Search PM
    I've installed XP SP2 on over 100 machines - no errors.

    4 of these machines have burners - a Pioneer 104, 2 X 106's and a 107 - no errors.

    If it's a simple case of you installing SP2 and it doesn't work, then you uninstall SP2 and it does work, then it doesn't take a rocket-scientist (sorry Cappy) to figure out that SP2 is contributing to the problem. The key point is this - maybe, as a result of SP2, you have to upgrade your firmware in order for it to work properly. If we wanted to get technical, we would say that your firmware is the root of the problem, but it was induced by installing SP2. After all, a new firmware and problem solved, right ?

    The crem-de-la-creme comes when you say that Maxell and TY don't exhibit this behaviour. You do know that it is the firmware of your drive that tells your burner what media you're using, don't you ? It quite probable SP2 might access this information in a different way, and the current firmware you have cannot handle it, whereas other people with other burners may have firmwares that support it.

    Please don't turn this into a "I hate Microsoft" thread, because, as mentioned, I think there is a very simple fix (a firmware upgrade). If you choose to continue the crusade against microsoft and ignore this simple fix, then IMO you need to pull your head outta your ass.
    If in doubt, Google it.

  7. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I've installed XP SP2 on over 100 machines - no errors.

    4 of these machines have burners - a Pioneer 104, 2 X 106's and a 107 - no errors.

    If it's a simple case of you installing SP2 and it doesn't work, then you uninstall SP2 and it does work, then it doesn't take a rocket-scientist (sorry Cappy) to figure out that SP2 is contributing to the problem. The key point is this - maybe, as a result of SP2, you have to upgrade your firmware in order for it to work properly. If we wanted to get technical, we would say that your firmware is the root of the problem, but it was induced by installing SP2. After all, a new firmware and problem solved, right ?

    The crem-de-la-creme comes when you say that Maxell and TY don't exhibit this behaviour. You do know that it is the firmware of your drive that tells your burner what media you're using, don't you ? It quite probable SP2 might access this information in a different way, and the current firmware you have cannot handle it, whereas other people with other burners may have firmwares that support it.

    Please don't turn this into a "I hate Microsoft" thread, because, as mentioned, I think there is a very simple fix (a firmware upgrade). If you choose to continue the crusade against microsoft and ignore this simple fix, then IMO you need to pull your head outta your ass.
    Thank you Jim.

    I tried to tell them ways to fix the issue, but they want to gripe.

  8. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Please don't turn this into a "I hate Microsoft" thread, because, as mentioned, I think there is a very simple fix (a firmware upgrade). If you choose to continue the crusade against microsoft and ignore this simple fix, then IMO you need to pull your head outta your ass.
    Whoa, I'm not crusading against Microsoft, SP2 or anything else. Sorry if people here think that.

    What I was hoping was to hear from anyone else who may have had problems and if so, to see if there was any commonality to it. I wish I had more time or another computer to continue testing here but since I don't, I was just hoping to hear from others. That's all.

    So, I'll just say that it's probably the firmware, and when I am caught up and can afford some downtime, I'll try it.

    Thanks for everyone's comments.

  9. Member FulciLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA in the USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awai
    So, I'll just say that it's probably the firmware, and when I am caught up and can afford some downtime, I'll try it.
    You make it sound like updating your firmware is some major surgical proceedure.

    Do you also wait for some downtime when you trim your nails?

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

  10. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by awai
    So, I'll just say that it's probably the firmware, and when I am caught up and can afford some downtime, I'll try it.
    You make it sound like updating your firmware is some major surgical proceedure.

    Do you also wait for some downtime when you trim your nails?

    - John "FulciLives" Coleman
    I'd have to update the firmware. Install SP2 again. Run a bunch of tests. And if it doesn't work, uninstall it again. My biggest worry is not having it working when it's all done or even if this works in SP2, that something else in the pipeline might not work as I expected. So, I have to wait until even at worst, if I don't have it working, I have time to deal with it.

  11. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Down under
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by awai
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Please don't turn this into a "I hate Microsoft" thread, because, as mentioned, I think there is a very simple fix (a firmware upgrade). If you choose to continue the crusade against microsoft and ignore this simple fix, then IMO you need to pull your head outta your ass.
    Whoa, I'm not crusading against Microsoft, SP2 or anything else. Sorry if people here think that.
    Hey man, that's cool. That's the way it came across (to me, anyway), mainly because there had been accounts of firmware upgrades fixing the problem, and also your experiences with some media working and some not, which is a classic sign of firmware requiring an upgrade, yet you seemd to discount that possibility and regardless of whether you intended or not, continued on with a "it's gotta be SP2, the burner's fine" attitude.

    Never mind, it's irrelevant now that you've set the record straight and all water under the bridge
    If in doubt, Google it.

  12. Member northcat_8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chit, IDK I'm following you
    Search Comp PM
    awai -

    It seems your question has been answered but you refuse to listen.

    I guess my first question would be if XP ran fine under SP1, then why install SP2?

    I'm not sure what kind of "bug" would prevent a BIOS update...but if you say so.

    Maybe you need to install or reinstall your ASPI layer.

    Sometimes when making adjustments to your OS, it is necessary to reinstall your DVD Burner, maybe something did happen with the firmware. I have the 105, and I still use firmware 1.00

    Maybe your problem is you have a Dell, but I would be willing to bet that the problem lies somewhere between your desk and your chair.

  13. Please can everyone concentrate on the technical side of this question and work it out? There is no need for bickering. If it continues, formal warnings will be issued and the thread will be locked. I really don't want to do that.

    Thanks.

    Cobra

  14. awai,

    I'm really sorry that this happend to you when posting a valid question here on videohelp. This has also happend to me and it seems to me that it doesn't matter if you post a valid question or post a bad comment about microsoft as I did in my post. I can only hope that you will continue to be a member here on videohelp and that this will not happen again because this is not helping anybody.

    vcd4ever.

  15. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    I tried to help, but awai has to help himself.

    You can't make somone take initiative.

  16. Ah, yet another great post to re-affirm why I visit this forum less and less. A guy posts to ask if anyone else is having the problem he is seeing and he gets the F bomb thrown at him from every angle...

    Sorry to hear about your plight awai. I have not taken the time to update to SP2 for these very types of possible issues. Maybe over Christmas I will. Anyway, might I suggest doing a search on the Doom9 forums surely someone over there has something more pleseant to say about it.

    -Suntan

  17. if sp2 doesnt work then dont install it
    i run winxp with no updates and i never have problems
    turn on your firewall
    the only things i update are codecs and video editing software
    and things like avg update themself

    iv had problems when running updates in the past which have messed up the entire system and meant i had to reformat
    i prefer to keep all my data backed up just incase i somehow lost it than go to the trouble of updating windows all the time
    imho installing all the crap microsoft asks you to just slows the pc down

    unless something doesnt work or there is a great advantage by installing the new software then theres not much point in doing it

    did you want sp2 for a particular reason

    if not join the "if it isnt broken then dont try to fix it" school of thought

  18. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Suntan
    Ah, yet another great post to re-affirm why I visit this forum less and less. A guy posts to ask if anyone else is having the problem he is seeing and he gets the F bomb thrown at him from every angle...

    Sorry to hear about your plight awai. I have not taken the time to update to SP2 for these very types of possible issues. Maybe over Christmas I will. Anyway, might I suggest doing a search on the Doom9 forums surely someone over there has something more pleseant to say about it.

    -Suntan
    Suntan,

    I told him how to fix the problem, but he was not willing to do it.

    At doom9 or cdfreaks, they will probably tell him he needs a firmware update as well.

    In order to help someone, they have to demonstrate the ability to help themselves.

  19. Member tekkieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Over the hill
    Search Comp PM
    Bazooka - you really need to let it go! Look at the original post. He askes if anyone else has experience something similar. Other than saying he couldn't figure it out, he really didn't ask for help fixing it. He just wanted to hear if this has happened to anyone else. It has! I explained it in my PM to you. My NEC-1300 refused to burn the same Sonys it burned just an hour before the SP2 update. Since it will still burn them in FC2 (same MB BIOS, same burner BIOS), and will be them again if SP2 is removed, then the answer is that installation of SP2 caused the burner to malfunction. Whether or not any BIOS needs to be updated, or the ASPI layer, or the burning apps themselves, the simple fact is that the installation of SP2 caused the problem.

    If and when the OP is interested in truly resolving the issue in SP2, I'm sure he will be more than grateful for your assistance.

  20. Member tekkieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Over the hill
    Search Comp PM
    Just noticed Bazooka asked to lock this thread. I request that it not be locked, as the issue of what is SP2 doing can still be discussed. The issue of whether or not someone wants to try the suggestions to fix it or not do not need to be discussed further if certain people do not wish to.

    The OP has the right to have this discussed.

  21. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    I saw SP2 implode one computer, and fix another. Since mine is working fine, I'm officially wearing the "coward" badge, and am too afraid to mess up my well-oiled machine. I see no benefit to SP2. I already have the Internet goodies (firewall, popup blockers, etc) from 3rd-party software.

    For what it's worth.

  22. Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Inner Circle of Thought
    Search Comp PM
    I respectfully bow out of this thread since my input is not welcome.

  23. Once again bazooka, in his first post he specifically asked if anyone else was having the problem he was seeing. Further he acknowledged your suggestion, but still wanted to know if anyone else was seeing the problem he had because he wanted to reserve a firmware update as the last resort. At this point you guys started bashing him. Yet you still make it out to be his fault.

    Maybe you could have just left it at your suggestion for a solution and stated, to his original question, that you did not have problems with the SP2 upgrade. If he doesn't want to take your advice, so be it. You surely haven't given him any reason to trust or otherwise respect your opinions.

    And in my experience, people on Doom9 wouldn't have told him to go F himself because he continued to ask his question after someone suggested a possible fix.

    -Suntan

  24. My personal experience is with a Dell, a Pioneer 103 and Windows XP Professional. No DVD burning problems whatsoever after SP2 was installed.

  25. Member Heywould3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    always on the move
    Search Comp PM
    im not going to argue this with anyone.. BUT i have 4 computers at home and i have loaded SP2 on all 4 i removed it on 2 of them because some things dont work properly anore and i left it on 1 of the two that are left only because the stuff not working the same isnt important.. you can debate all day long that its not SP2 BUT the fact remains.. before SP2 was installed MOST things were working fine. (i understand the security fixes) after SP2 was installed a few things were acting up some didnt work at all.. Thats fine.. im not mad.. not gonna blame MS just move on.. i removed SP2 and all is back to normal.. The two thats got it still have better security.. but the two that are at pre SP1 are full of security SW now so its a moot point..

    just my 2c

    YES SP2 has introduced compat issues and BSOD in some cases.. but in most cases an update to bios and drivers and some SW updates will prolly fix it all..

    that being said.. if you went out and bought lets say adobe photoshop and you installed it and after that you were unable to print properly from it what would you do? i bet be mad at adobe right? well what if it was the printer drivers not compat with that version? what then.. well it worked before PS.. hahahaha thats where we are now.. chicken or egg..

  26. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Down under
    Search PM
    Given the number of different manufacturers, and the total number of possible combinations of hardware and software, it is impossible for Microsft to test under every circumstance/configuration. Impossible.

    The way I see it, the whole issue arises because of the few people here who like to can Microsoft and anything they produce as being total garbage, whether the masses think it's warranted or not (Group 1). Then there's the few people here where the problem is in the chair, not in the keyboard (Group 2). Then there's the majority, who seem to have minor issues if any (Group 3). Then there's the last (but not least) group of people, that despite their best efforts, configurations, and/or upkeep, have no end of problems due to incompatibilities (Group 4).

    Group 1 are cretins and aren't living in the real world. The truth of the matter is that YES, Microsoft does have a monopoly, but if you don't like their products (or them as a company), there's always linux. There's nothing worse than a hypocrite that says that they hate Microsoft and their products, but are stuck using them because there's no alternatives. These people need a dose of reality IMO.

    Group 2 can only blame themselves. These people often have never defragged, never/rarely uninstalled programs not required anymore, don't run spyware tools such as AdAware/Spybot, and have never reformatted the HP Pavillion they bought from a chain store. I'm using a cliche I know, but there are people like this. These people bring their woes upon themselves for not maintaining their system properly.

    Group 3 are either the conscientious people, or the very lucky people. Some know the dangers of how bad things can get when they go wrong. These same people keep a well-maintained machine and reformat reasonably regularly to give the machine a clean up and a new lease of life. In this same group are the lucky people, who would have been members of Group 2 had SP2 not been able to miraculously install over the top of their rampant spyware-infested, poorly maintained machine.

    Group 4 are the hard luck stories in this tale. They are the people who despite their best efforts, seem to have a conflict. They would be the conscientious people of Group 3 should SP2 install properly. While unfortunate, I honestly believe that people in this last group are SOL, and very, very unlucky.

    /Rant over
    If in doubt, Google it.

  27. Just for comparison sake I have a Dell 4600, Pioneer 105 firmware 1.30, and use Nero 6.6.0.1. I have Win XP Pro with SP2 and use Ritek, Prodisc, and Ty. I have burnt full discs with each and can report no problem.

  28. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Originally Posted by awai
    Can't figure it out.
    Microsoft sucks !



    - John "FulciLives" Coleman
    Buy that man a drink.

  29. Member CoasterCreator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    somewhere in time & space
    Search Comp PM
    I think we can all see that
    officially wearing the "coward" badge,




Similar Threads