VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a pioneer A05 (well, really the rebranded DVR one) and it has burned everything I have thrown at it (DVD-r and CDr) for about 2 years.

Last evening, I backed up a movie and it went fine. Then, I authored (using TMPGENC DVD Author) a home video for a friend of mine. Although having used TMPGENC DVD author and just about every authoring app known to man in the past, this morning when I went to burn the dvd-r with TMPGENC DVD Author's burning engine, I was told that device was not ready.

Tried different media (I have burned about 500 of this same brand media in the past) and got the same error when I went to burn the DVD-r. I closed the app down and tried dvddecrypter to burn an iso image (one that I burned earlier the previous evening) and couldnt begin because decrypter said that media was not present. Tried a few more times and then tried nero (5.5x) to burn a dvd-video file, which also didnt work.

After that I tried to burn some data onto the burner with a CD (of course, changing it to burn to CD). This too failed (when I say fail, nero would "say" to insert media even though there was a CDr or DVD-R in the drive).

Did the ole reboot and tried all of the above again and got the same "errors", "no media present".

I have not tried to reinstall ASPI layer or reimage the machine (however, I reinstalled dvddecrypter). I am going to try and uninstall nero and do a fresh install.

Aside from "burners are cheap, buy a new one", "do a search" (btw, did one), does anyone have any suggestions???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You've ran out of red photons mate....

Seriously, have you tried cleanint the player, might help. A few months I had similar problems reading/writing and a swift clean sorted me out.

Ironballs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Its hard to believe that a burn 6 hours earlier would go flawlessly and then cant read blank media.

Dont know why, but I believe that software is the culprit in some way. That or the burner just up'd and died on me.

I am a smoker, but NEVER in the house (for my family, not because of the burner...thats too sick in the head - burner more important than the fam). I figured if it was a dirty laser (both of them), I would have gotten at least 1 "crappy" burn out of it before it did this.

I had been using the search function, but key words "dead burner", "no media present", etc. got results not even close to what I am looking for.

I have been wanting to get a dual layer burner for awhile (and this will probably force me to get one), but right now my wife would kill me if I went out and bought one. We had moved from God's country (Texas) to Indiana for a job and in the next week we are moving back without a job to go back to for the short run. So, no "big" purchases until we get back on our feet.

ps. for the folks that are thinking of moving out of state, cant recommend ABF enough over the uhauls and mayflowers of the world. MUCH cheaper AND better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can it read manufactured media?

If not..........the laser is dead.

Mine A05 went on me in 8 months after getting it......luckily Pioneer honors there warrenty and I am into my 1st year with new one.
    All I've got in this world is my balls and my word.....

and I don't break them for no one!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i Would go with the dirty lens theory .... i have a pioneer ao6 and had the same problem ... i burned a dvdr no probs but an hour later it wouldnt burn anything dvdr/rw cdr/rw i suspected the software and ended up doing a reformat and reinstall to no avail ... i trieds different media ... no joy ... i used a laser cleaning disk ... no joy (they're not very good) .. in a last ditch effort i removed the ao6 from my machine and took it apart and cleaned the laser with alcohol and a cotton bud ... after putting it all back into the machine it worked flawlessly and is still going more than 6 months later .... the ao6 was only 2 months old when the problem started ... so just coz a drive is fairly new doesnt mean the laser isnt dirty
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Clean it
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. *taps plays in the background*

Sniff, sniff...

I cracked the case open and their lodged pretty well on the laser was a small spring. I did everything I could to make my baby feel comfortable. I petted it and tried to console it, but it was too late. The burner has given up the ghost.

I tried to give it cpr and give it a new power supply to pull from, but my little burner would just not come to life. I am trying to find a way to carry on. My wife is overjoyed and said that I am done burning...... God, I'll miss her (my wife, LOL).

I am almost ashamed to say this since the light went out just mere minutes, ago, but I am already online looking for a replacement. What is the grieving time for a lost burner???

She was a trooper, but its time to move on and pick up the pieces of my life and see what life without my burner has in store for me. I figured that I would wait for another few weeks (until I secured new employment back in Texas) until I get a new one.

Thanks to all who offered their assistance in her last hours. sniff!
    Quote Quote