VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Circuit City has both on sale for 100 bucks...

Lite-on SOHW1633s
    Sony DrU710A

Any idea which one is better? Or should I spend my money on something else? If so, what?

thanks and peace,
    jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd get the Pioneer DVR-108 (OEM version) or the DVR-A08 (retail version)

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pioneer dvr 108 is around $80 at www.newegg.com that includes shipping when i checked the other day. thats what im about to get
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Circuit City has both on sale for 100 bucks...

Lite-on SOHW1633s
    Sony DrU710A

Any idea which one is better? Or should I spend my money on something else? If so, what?

thanks and peace,
    jay
    both of those drive are made by LITEON. SONY dvd burners are rebadged LITEON's. As John mentioned get a Pioneer 108. the oem 108 can have bitsetting automatically by flashing the drive with the PIODATA firmware.
    check out this thread from the Pioneer forum at cdfreaks.com
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113369
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should read the http://www.cdfreaks.com review of the BenQ 1620. Also check out the forums on the above site. This drive is fast, supports error scanning, overspeeding of many media, and good quality. Personally, if I had known about this drive, I would have got it (BenQ) instead of the NEC3500A.

Good Luck!
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Neither one. I'd suggest either the NEC 3500 or the newest Benq model. Both of my NECs put my Benq 822 to shame when it comes to burning DVD-R media, but my Benq is SLIGHTLY better at DVD+R it seems... The Benq will be able to do PI/PO tests as well, but if you're planning on burning -R media I think I'd still suggest NEC. My Benq will not even recognize several of my -R media codes, and a couple others burned on it were pathetic in comparison to my NEC -R burns. It's great with +Rs though...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony DRU710A and it has been good so far.
    Quote Quote  
  8. NEC 3500 discs play in everything.
    Quote Quote