VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've branched out and obtained my first Matroska file hoping I'd be able to handle it when it arrived. Sadly I can't. It plays on the computer just fine in MPC, but I want to convert it to SVCD using TMPGEnc in the same way I do every other conventional DivX/XviD file.

I've browsed the guides and found only 4 so far on conversion of mkv files to something else. All four are not really what I want to do. They get far more complicated than I think I really need.

My mkv file contains video (obviously), 3 audio tracks, 3 different subtitles as well as chapters and covers (!!!). I don't need all that, but that's the way it came so whatever. All I want to do is get the english audio track and the video out of it in a format that TMPGEnc can accept as input. Does anyone here know how to do that relatively straight forward task?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that but it doesn't work at all with my file. It can't find any streams at all in the file. It seems there's very little support for these Matroska files so far. Is there anything else I can try or would the best advice just be to delete it and don't bother with Matroska anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try asking the mkv gurus in the doom9 forum section devoted to the new containers. It's weird that mkvextractgui can't handle the file.
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    you can also try extract audio and video with virtualdubmod. audio under streams->stream list. and the video using video->direct stream copy and file->save avi.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    you can also try extract audio and video with virtualdubmod. audio under streams->stream list. and the video using video->direct stream copy and file->save avi.
    Yeah that was the first thing I tried actually, but all I get is...

Quote Quote  
  7. mkvextractgui is just a gui, you also have the maktroska toolnix installed as well, correct?
    Blah, blah, blah
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nufan292
    mkvextractgui is just a gui, you also have the maktroska toolnix installed as well, correct?
    Actually I didn't realise that no, so thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. I shall try again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks to me as if mkvextractgui already contains those parts of mkvtoolnix it needs to work, so I don't think you need to download both to get it to work. In any case, I have downloaded both and put them all in the same folder and it made no difference whatsoever. There still aren't any streams in my mkv file it can recognize.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Oh ok. Didn't know that either. The version I got wasn't from this board, it was from another board in a thread made by the author. I wish I could help you, but never came upon this problem myself.
    Blah, blah, blah
    Quote Quote