VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the discs look great without the coat of spray. But having the coat will
    1) make them look even better and
    2) make them stay looking great even if a bit of water hit the surface.

Obvious this is only for those masterpieces that come off the R200 and R300 looking so stunning you just have to do somehitng nice for them in the long haul.

Now I hope the spray does not eat through the disc in the long haul. It would be a drag to find out in five years that sprayed discs are first to die.

But I don't think so.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm having a hard time with the P. Nimock's spray. I cant take the odour, and I dont have an adequate spot to do this activity except in my garage where it's freezing cold (i'm in toronto).

I'm also finding a dilemna where if I spray from high above I'm not sure if it has any effect, but if I spray too close it has a nice gloss but horribly uneven and messy to say the least(it looks like puddles). I think in 10 years we will look back at our experiences with these highly toxic sprays and complicated procedures and just laugh our asses off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrtunes
    I'm having a hard time with the P. Nimock's spray. I cant take the odour, and I dont have an adequate spot to do this activity except in my garage where it's freezing cold (i'm in toronto).

I'm also finding a dilemna where if I spray from high above I'm not sure if it has any effect, but if I spray too close it has a nice gloss but horribly uneven and messy to say the least(it looks like puddles). I think in 10 years we will look back at our experiences with these highly toxic sprays and complicated procedures and just laugh our asses off.
    Save your masterpieces, and do all your spraying in the spring when the cool breeze is in the air. Do 25 discs at once, and do them outdoors in an empty parking lot in the shade.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Nimock's spray is highly overrated. A better, super-fast drying coat of Lowe's American Tradition Gloss by Valspar will do just as good and dries extremely fast. As far as temperature is concerned, it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside, as long as the can of spray is approximately 70 degrees. If you keep it in the house and only take it out to spray a couple of disks it will work fine. Just bring the disks back in the house to dry. The problem with spraying outside is to not do it when the humidity is above 75%. Anymore than that and it will collect moisture from the air and ruin the finish.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hiptune
    Save your masterpieces, and do all your spraying in the spring when the cool breeze is in the air. Do 25 discs at once, and do them outdoors in an empty parking lot in the shade.
    Lol i'm sorry is that a joke? I really can't tell if you're being serious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrtunes
    Originally Posted by hiptune
    Lol i'm sorry is that a joke? I really can't tell if you're being serious.
    The "masterpieces" part is a joke to be sure, but the cool breese outdoors is a serious suggestion. A bank parking lot (in the shade) on a sunny afternoon is a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Captain315
    Nimock's spray is highly overrated. A better, super-fast drying coat of Lowe's American Tradition Gloss by Valspar will do just as good and dries extremely fast. As far as temperature is concerned, it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside, as long as the can of spray is approximately 70 degrees. If you keep it in the house and only take it out to spray a couple of disks it will work fine. Just bring the disks back in the house to dry. The problem with spraying outside is to not do it when the humidity is above 75%. Anymore than that and it will collect moisture from the air and ruin the finish.
    hmmm does anyone know which chains in canada carry this brand valspar? I've only seen Krylon and Nimock's in Walmart and on the Loomis/Toles website they only show Krylon.

RE: the discs and weather... if it's really miserable outside with snow and stuff, I'm worried that taking the discs back inside after spraying will ruin them somehow. i guess if i put them in a jewel case and close it they should be fine for the short walk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or just keep printing and wait til spring to do the spraying.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hiptune
    The "masterpieces" part is a joke to be sure, but the cool breese outdoors is a serious suggestion. A bank parking lot (in the shade) on a sunny afternoon is a good idea.
    Oh ok. Sorry then. It's just that waiting half a year is not reasonable when I send out new demos every week. I found your post funny cause by your advice i'd be unemployed for half a year longer than my current hell. Also my music would have no promotion on university and internet radio stations for another half a year. It was just funny to read cause i'm in a very "now now now" state and the spring feels like Eons away.

The whole problem with printing directly onto disc is related to my rush. I really dont like waiting so many hours for things to dry cause I lose focus on what i'm sending out and sometimes packages get delayed from the mere distraction of the drying issue. BUT I'd rather look professional than totally screw someone's disc player with a label flopping off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I do agree that now now is a better mentality.

Then a big room or somehting? Break into a school, and use the lunch room. Just kidding.

How about a starbucks with a patio covered area? If you have a car, take a drive and scout a good clean covered outdoor place. Perhaps at night whehjn they are closed, it can all belong to you.

Good luck on promotion and your work too!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hiptune
    Good luck on promotion and your work too!!
    Thanks hiptune. I appreciate it.

Your suggestion of finding any outdoor spot, really I would love to invite you up to see a real Canadian winter. There's snow everywhere! It's wet, it's miserable at times, but it's all i know really and i just try to continue regardless. but it makes this spraying business really difficult. even if i could find a parking lot wouldnt you be worried of wind blowing the spray in your face?

I'm going to an A & C store soon and i'm going to look into painting a gloss on or something. Spraying really sucks I cant take it any more. Oh and another thing i hate about nimock's is if you dont hit the spray button hard enough you get drips and drops all over your disc(any spray can for that matter). It's a spray can's way of punishing you for being a wussy with your press.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'll try not to be a wussy then, but it will take work.

I was in Toronto in Aug 2002, very nice city. Saw Paul Westerberg at the Phoenix

Try to fine a large in door place. You must have a friend that works at a movie theater, concert venue, storage place, or something large. A post office that has those mail boxes for night time access? They have counters? I should use my PO for their lovely counters when they are closed?

But anyway, I am in sunny California, and it was beautiful and warm today like a spring day.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm going to have try out these Lowe's sprays... I have the Nimock sprays, but haven't used it because I'm too chicken about ruining the discs...

Speaking of ruining, has anyone come up with newer, easier ways to protect the data area while spraying? All the methods discussed in various threads on the board seem complicated and not fool-proof (no offense to the people who came up with the methods...)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by hiptune
    I was in Toronto in Aug 2002, very nice city. Saw Paul Westerberg at the Phoenix

Try to fine a large in door place. You must have a friend that works at a movie theater, concert venue, storage place, or something large.
    yeah LA aint to bad as well! I think this shows us how annoying the spraying can be. I mean you just want to get a disc out there but you need to find a large open area that isnt windy, or dirty. and then 10 hours for it to dry(for my spray that is). it's not easy!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiffy
    I'm going to have try out these Lowe's sprays... I have the Nimock sprays, but haven't used it because I'm too chicken about ruining the discs...

Speaking of ruining, has anyone come up with newer, easier ways to protect the data area while spraying? All the methods discussed in various threads on the board seem complicated and not fool-proof (no offense to the people who came up with the methods...)
    I have never had the playing side get spray on it. Plus I move the discs to clean newspaper right after spraying.

The spray does not gp under the disc. Try a bad disc first, not the best ones.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too am in the same situation. Been using the P. Nimock's spray and the smell is so bad it makes me sick. I hear the chemicals in the product has been studied as to cause cancer. I sure hope not. Anyway, I am also doing it in my garage, only place that isn't wet. But man it is horrible stuff! Works great, but the smell....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chunkT
    Why are you guys bothering with this anyway? I have many many many printed discs and never a problem.. what are you guys using these for drink coasters too?

I bought a SLOT DVD player, it refused to load the printed DVD's (too Shiny)
    sprayed them with Krystal Kote Matt spray, problem fixed!
    Quote Quote  
  18. This is what I do and I feel it's the easiest way of spraying a disk without getting spray on the underside.

I cut off about a half an inch from the end of a cakebox post. I glued this piece to the end of paint stirring stick from the local hardware store. Over this, I then hot glued one of the numerous coasters I've made over the post on the end of the paint stick. This has served me quite well. There is nothing for me to have to clean up (paper and such) and it provides a place for the disk to dry without having to touch it.

Most of all though, since there is nothing behind it to cause bounce-back of the spray, it keeps it off the data side of the disk and out of my face. Plus the coaster provides balance and protection from overspray and damage to the data side of the disk. It's free to make, easy to store, easy to use and above all, does an excellent job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK guys and gals...

The real scoop on "what is the best spray sealer".

That would be professional automotive Acrylic Urethane using an airbrush or small sprayer. DON’T STOP READING YET. I know I know most do not have this equipment or time for all of the prep and clean up. I just thought I would throw that in since I have been spraying for several years but like most, I would not waste my time on professionally finishing DVD’s.

I tried most every clear aerosol from Lowes to Wal-Mart to Michaels to Penn Camera. Even some professional touch-up lacquer from Mohawk (www.mohawk-finishing.com).

Plaid ® Patricia Nimocks™ Clear Acrylic Sealers - Matte, 12 oz. from WalMart out performed them all! Not nearly as much orange peel as with others and it dries very quickly.

The worst is Lowe’s American “whatever” clear from Valspar that Captain315 recommended. This stuff seams to be very durable, but you need to apply it with very heavy wet coats in order for it to lay flat. Not good for discs. Captain315, I’m not trying to pick a bone with you, but I used the product under ideal conditions and it performed poorly for this application. I will continue to use this product for other purposes since it seams to be very durable and it lays a little flatter if you use very wet coats.

The second best is the lacquer from Mohawk. The only problem is it can lift up and wrinkle the white printable surface on the DVD’s if you apply it too wet. Nice thin coats work very well though.

I tried all of the Krylon products including Preserve It. They performed satisfactory but all have orange peel. Preserve It worked the best, but you need to spray a minimum of four coats.

As far as worrying about spray getting on the bottom of the DVD/CD, I just tape down some freezer paper (matte side up) on a flat surface and just lay the DVD’s down. I suppose news paper would work just as well.

There was one really good idea about making a miniature spray booth/table , but just like my first paragraph; who in the H*LL wants to take that much time and effort on sealing some DVD’s? I just use a marker or label printer for most of my DVD/CD’s. When I want to make an impression or give photo DVD/CD’s as gifts, I go to the trouble of using my Epson R1800 and the Plaid sealer. Yes, all of the inks smear. Even the pigment inks in my $500.00 printer.

Hope this helps others so they don’t have to waste time and money trying several different sealers like I did.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have to disagree with you on most points jeffshead. The American Tradition by Valspar does not orange peel when reasonably applied and it dries extremely fast. On the other hand, I've tried over 40 products now and Patricia Nimocks Gloss was one of the hardest to get a flat surface. In fact, I never got a flat surface with it. I have not used the matte finish so there may be a difference with that.

The lacquer you suggested would be the worst thing to put on plastic. I can't imagine what problems would evolve down the road. Lacquers will destroy plastic. Some varnishes and polyurethanes will give a fairly good finish. The problem with urethanes is that they develop a yellow cast similar to shellac and most varnishes take longer to dry than acrylics.

Building a spray booth would be the LAST thing I would do. If you do a lot of airbrushing/spraying then you should know that confinement of the vapors are not only dangerous but it causes significant problems with overspray unless you have filtered air intake/exhaust system that is explosion proof.

No, I'll still have to cast my vote for the Valspar American Tradition Gloss. For me, the way I spray and the finish I prefer, it does great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Captain315,

I don’t know what variables exist between your tests and mine, but the Valspar, from Lowes, definitely would not lay flat for me. I applied the product on different surfaces and sprayed at different temperatures with very low humidity levels. Maybe the formula has changed and the batch you or I received has a different ratio of solvent to base. I don’t know, but under ideal conditions there was, by far, more orange peel with the Valspar product than any other finish I tested. It seems to be a very thick 1-2 coat type of finish that does not atomize very well. Much too heavy for a disc. Maybe the printable surface of the discs makes more of a difference than one would think. I use Taiyo Yuden white hub printable. I just could not get the finish to lay flat unless I “caked” it on.

As far as lacquer damaging the plastic; some lacquers can eat away at plastic. Not all lacquers will. Besides, we are talking about spraying the printable surface which is not the bare polycarbonate. As I said in the previous reply, “nice thin coats”. I have sprayed lacquer on polycarbonate/Lexan projects for years with no adverse effects. I use lacquer on Lexan to change the color and/or sheen of the plastic. The key is not to apply the product too wet. Some lacquers, and other finishes, contain heavy solvents, such as ketones, that can make the polycarbonate brittle. But with light coats, the solvent does its job and evaporates before it affects the integrity of the plastic. The solvent is what hurts the plastic, not the base. Once the solvent evaporates, no more worries. I have never had one disc or any other polycarbonate item deteriorate in the past 8-10 years.

In regards to Urethanes yellowing over time, some will. Any hi-quality Acrylic Urethane, as I recommended, definitely will not. I have used enamels, lacquers, epoxies, Imron, you name it. The best all around product is Acrylic Urethane for durability and ease of use.

I read this post because I was searching for an alternative for lacquer. It does a nice job but I wanted something that would lay even flatter without hand rubbing. For me, the Plaid spray does the job. Like I said, I do not want to spend more time than necessary like mixing finish and cleaning my sprayers. I don’t know why one product works for me and not for you. Puzzling.

Captain315, I don’t want you to think I am trying to get into a p*ssing contest with you, because I am not. I just want to share my results with others to save them time as you have. Why Valspar works for you and not for me, I just don’t know. Hope all is well with you.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I registered with this site, just to share a bit of 2011 info on the 2004 thread. K-Mart carries Patricia Nimock sprays, not Wal-Mart. I ordered two gloss and two matte for $29.21 (incl shipping from IL to NH).

Now I only have the label quality problem itself...
    Manila, Philipines tech support tells me that Avery discontinued the Full-Face labels and promised to email me the link to dealers selling their discontinued product, but that message never arrived.

My problem is after spending a lot on Stomper and Memorex labels, I find the printout faded and flat, not the bright, colorful quality of Avery. I guess I will have to attack every Avery label with a razor blade, to create a spindle hole, so that my falily photo DVDs don't have labels with a basketball-sized 'core' hole in the photo on the label.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Two very unpopular things here are sticky labels and zombie threads. Your first post and you got two in one.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/255817-I-Think-I-Figured-Out-The-Whole-Sticky-Label...=1#post1528290

Nevertheless, welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody uses labels anymore (except for maybe you). There is a thread on this site about whether or not labels should be used (the general concensus is "no").

You should really look into a CD/DVD print capable printer.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote