VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi I just put my combo and pioneer 108 on a 80 wire 40 pin on secondary, and burned on alcohol 120% at 8x, but it only burned at 4x? Never happened to me before, been using same media. Tried burning a audio cd with 21 songs to 32x and it took like 5 minutes. That isnt right? Could there be a problem with 80 wire 40 pin ? Or the combo doesnt like being connected on the same ide? Or what if the combo and pioneer 108 are on primary , and I put my hard drive to secondary? I thought primary was always for hard drives and secondary was always for cd-roms and cd burners?
    "What It Do"
    Huh ?????
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt if primary-secondary is your problem. Newer MB and drives don't care that much. I usually put the burner as secondary master and the DVD ROM as secondary slave. Primary slave is good for IDE backup or video storage.

80 wire can only help. Have you checked your PIO-DMA status? XP may have reset it. Nero Info tool is handy for checking, or you can go into Task Manager. Check IDE channels, Advanced.

If that fails, delete your IDE channel for that drive and Windows will replace and reset it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I doubt if primary-secondary is your problem. Newer MB and drives don't care that much. I usually put the burner as secondary master and the DVD ROM as secondary slave. Primary slave is good for IDE backup or video storage.

80 wire can only help. Have you checked your PIO-DMA status? XP may have reset it. Nero Info tool is handy for checking, or you can go into Task Manager. Check IDE channels, Advanced.

If that fails, delete your IDE channel for that drive and Windows will replace and reset it.
    The combo is on Ultra DMA 2 and the pioneer 108 is on Ultra DMA 4, so uninstall Seconday IDE Channel and then shut down and disconnect from secondary and let windows find it and then shut down and re-connect and turn back on?
    "What It Do"
    Huh ?????
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your combo is UDMA 2 and the 108 is UDMA 4, that's about right. You may have problems elsewhere. You can go ahead and reset the IDE channel just as you have described, though. If no luck there, try another IDE cable. If you are using flat cables, they're cheap enough just in case it is a flakey cable.
    Quote Quote