VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been reading the posts relating to the DVDRHD04 on this forum for several weeks. I noticed that a number of members have complained about some problems with this product, especially involving audio dropouts.

As I am considering buying one, I would appreciate being updated by those who initially encountered problems.

(a) Have you been able to resolve the problems with firmware updates?

(b) What is your recommendation about buying one of these at this time?

Best regards,

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. The firmware updates that ilo has released so far have not fixed the audio dropouts, but they promise to release a version that will within the next week or so. I tend to believe them, as they have been unusually responsive to all of our tech support emails-- the first firmware update came within about 48 hours of the first complaints. Now granted, it didn't fix anything, but the effort is still remarkable.

I would still recommend buying the unit, however, as it is significantly cheaper than any other similar product. The dropouts are very annoying, but you can always copy the recorded file from the hard drive to a DVD+RW disc and watch it from there-- the audio dropouts won't occur then. This process is rather irritating, but for a $278 DVR, one can't be too picky.

Picture quality is very good, and the 80gb drive is more than enough space for me, so I am satisfied, overall. Even if ilo doens't solve the audio dropout issue, I will likely keep the unit, if only to use as a digital VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm with Human. Also remember that it is a no lose situation as Wal Mart has one of the best return policies in the business. If you purchase the unit and iLO doesn't fix the problem in 90 days or if you find the audio dropouts intolerable simply return it to WM. Also note the unit appears to be strikingly similar to the LVW-5045 and with any luck someone will step up to the plate with a firmware to unlock all or many of the functions of the 5045.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the risk of sounding like everyone else, I'm continuing to enjoy the HD04. Yes, the audio drop is there, but it certainly hadn't dampened my emjoyment. I know iLO/Liteon wants it to work too. They have too much invested in this design and concept to let firmware hold them back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, the audio dropouts put a small cloud on the ilo unit BUT.... the PQ is so much better than our old VCR that my wife has taken it over and declared "good enough to keep". LOL

Seriously, in this price catagory there are no other HD devices. It is pretty good as is and could be better if they could get one or two little things fixed.
    Quote Quote