VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Favorite Movie Credit You Don't Understand....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Clapper Loader....What the heck is it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Key Grip. Is he/she the main wanker on the set ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mr. Savalas' hair stylist.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Clapper Loader....What the heck is it?
    I think that's the person who writes the scene information on the clapper.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Key Grip. Is he/she the main wanker on the set ?
    In the USA, a grip is a person responsible for the adjustment and maintenance of production equipment on the set. Their typical duties include laying dolly tracks or erecting scaffolding. In the UK, grips work exclusively with equipment that the camera is mounted on.
    A key grip is the chief of a group of grips, and works closely with the gaffer (the head of the electrical department, responsible for the design and execution of the lighting plan for a production).
    Quote Quote  

6. "Best Boy"???
    Sounds like something you don't want to be to the Line Producer, Script Supervisor, and especially to the Focus Puller.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah - it's a language all it's own..
    some others I've seen (they're all real)

Dolly Grip
    2nd 2nd Assistant Director
    Additioinal 2nd Assistant Director
    Color Timer
    PDL
    Gaffer
    Libra Head Technician
    Set Medic
    Match Mover
    Hair Technician

and the list goes on ..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a reference to a few of the titles of film crew members. http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Film_crew
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Best Boy"? What the hell is that? Sounds paedo to me...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dolly Grip?

Isn't that one of Capmaster's signature moves?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Executive Producer.

I never been able to find out what they actuallly do. I think it's probably just awarded to somebody they feel guilty about leaving out of the production.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deckard8
    Executive Producer.

I never been able to find out what they actuallly do. I think it's probably just awarded to somebody they feel guilty about leaving out of the production.
    That's the jew that finances it all, ha :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Clapper loader????

I thought that was the guy who worked the laugh tracks on tv shows???? When was the last time you heard a movie with a laugh track??? (ok, intentional, not movies like Battlefield Earth that you laugh at constantly because its SO BAD! ).

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freestyler
    Dolly Grip?

Isn't that one of Capmaster's signature moves?
    Yes it is. But I didn't know I could get paid for doing it 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Script Supervisor"...

Is there someone looking over the shoulders of the script-writers while they're trying to create???

NO WONDER HOLLYWOOD IS CRAP!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Y'know, I'm sure it says something about me that I actually knew what all of these were... what it says about me, I'm not entirely sure I want to know.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Here's the two that I wanted to know.

Clapper/Loader
    The Clapper/Loader works in the camera department under the Director of Photography. They are mainly responsible for operating the slate (or clapper) which is used to sync sound to image in the post-production of a film. They are also responsible for loading and unloading the film magazines.

Foley artist
    The foley artist on a film crew is the person who creates and records many of the sound effects. Foley artists, editors, and supervisors are highly specialized and are essential for producing a soundtrack suitable for International distribution and exhibition.
    Sound effects are rarely recorded at the same time as dialogue and action, since the sound mix is so difficult to balance; the foley artist listens to the dialogue track for the (usually quite faint) sounds of, for instance, footsteps, a door slam, etc. and records them onto a new track in synch with the action onscreen. Other sound effects are drawn from recorded libraries, but many directors prefer the direct involvement of the foley artist.

The foley artist also adds sounds that may not exist at all on the original track: for instance, thumping watermelons or cracking bamboo to create the sounds of a fight. Many foley artists take pride in constructing their own sound effects apparatus, frequently using simple, common materials. Some "the-making-of" features show foley artists at work. The contrast between the action on the screen and the down-home effects is striking.

The name comes from one of the original and well-known Hollywood practitioners of this art, Jack Foley, who got his start in the film business as a stand-in and screenwriter during the silent era and later helped Universal make the transition to sound.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Executive Producer.

Actually, you're not far off. "Executive Producers" can generally be any one of the following:

(A) Someone who has used their Godfather-esque industry clout to get your movie green-lighted by the studio, or to get your TV show into production. How closely they are involved in the actual making of it will depend both on how likely they think the project is to succeed, and/or on how likely they think they are to get blamed for it if it bombs. Examples of this phenomenon include "Steven Spielberg presents Tiny Toon Adventures", and "George Lucas, Executive Producer, Howard the Duck." (see also "plausible deniability")

(B) Someone who must, for PR purposes, continue to be acknowledged as the titular head of a successful franchise, even though he has long since been removed from having any actual authority over the production. Example: Gene Roddenberry and any Star Trek movie made after "The Motion(less) Picture."

(C) Someone who has put up a very large amount of money to finance your picture because they believe in your cinematic genius, their accountant says it would make a good tax write-off, or you're "family." (see also "investor", "loan shark", and "Uncle Guido" )

(D) Someone who has been removed from actual production duties after his floundering project has reached that peculiar Twilight-Zone stage where everyone knows the ship is sinking, but the studio brass still clings to the irrational belief that the project can be "saved" by bringing in "new blood." (see also "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic")

In other words, "Executive Producer" is basically a ceremonial title, roughly equivalent to being awarded an honorary degree from a university. It doesn't mean you actually attended classes and graduated, but gosh, that framed certificate sure looks impressive sitting over the mantelpiece, doesn't it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Where's the who the hell reads the credits option 8)

My favorite comes from the movie, The First Nudie Musical, when Cindy Williams (of Laverne & Shirley fame) is asked to bring in a stunt c**k - it's just funny to hear Shirley say that word
    She says, Where do I find that...in the yellow pages?

You forgot the Body Double option - I'm sure some understand it but just don't get it

Why hire an actress if you gotta get some other chick to step in to show you her close-ups?
    Oh right...the lead actress doesn't look as hot without her clothes on...and the double can't act for sh#%

They should just call it the Shelley Michelle credit - since she's more than half the naked bodies in the movies made in over the last ten years :P

Hexed (1993) (body double for Claudia Christian)
    Nails (1992) (body double for Anne Archer)
    Prince of Tides, The (1991) (leg double for Barbra Streisand...they should've gotten a nose double :P )
    Pretty Woman (1990) (arms, back and legs double for Julia Roberts...at least Julia showed her own breasts)
    Overexposed (1990) (breasts double for Catherine Oxenberg)
    My Stepmother Is an Alien (1988) (legs double for Kim Basinger)
    etc etc

Executive Producer - simply means the nephew of the director, who doesn't know the first thing about making movies...he's just there for the sake of getting a credit to make his resume look good, and that makes him sound important even though he doesn't do a single thing
    Quote Quote  
  20. what if you understand them all?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How come you forgot the gaffer ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What if you cut them all to reduce the shrinking %?
    Quote Quote