VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jmh31
    From the pics it looks like the HDD is using a ATA-33 (40-PIN) cable I wonder if swapping in an ATA-66 (80 pin) would work or would make any difference at all?
    Looks like figgle over at the liteon forum tried the ATA-66 cable and installed a larger HD without success. I'm thinking we need someone firmware saavy to step up to the plate.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wonder if the rumors are true it runs Linux or an embeded version of it?

Some one tried the ATA-66 cable and larger HD. No change. But was wondering as with partion magic why not format the drive then copy all files over?

Also has anyone tried running the hickup test while the unit is upside down? Just a quickey so to speak

Wondering if the two cables are fliped? IE the HD is on the DVD port while the DVD is on the HD port. Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I haven't had a chance to swap out my ilo's hard drive for a larger one yet, but I am curious about a few issues. First, is the maximum recording time reflected by the display actually the maximum time? It's possible that the internal timer is designed to estimate the remaining time with an 80gb limit, but the firmware itself can use larger drives. The fact that the unit will utilize a larger drive at all suggests that there isn't an inherent maximum file system limitation.

I'm going to try and swap the 80gb drive with a 120gb one (formatted as one partition, of course). Then I'll set the unit on HQ mode, and keep recording until the drive is full, or the unit makes me stop, whichever comes first. Though I'll have to do it in seperate sessions (due to the 6 hour single recording limitation of the firmware), the test would tell us if the unit will utilize the space beyond the 80gb mark or not.

The next issue is a bit more subtle. The user manual states that you cannot copy MP3's or Jpegs from a CD\DVD to the hard drive. However in another section, it gives instructions for playing back such files from the hard drive. If this is the case, how do they get there...? I'll also try loading a bunch of MP3's to the hard drive from my PC, and see if the ilo can play them back. If it can, it would make an excellent MP3 jukebox-- another useful feature of an already versitile player.

I don't have any DVD-R or DVD-RW's yet, but can anyone else confirm or deny this rumor that the unit can record to them? Just for fun, I tried using a CD-RW disc, and the unit game me an error message. If anyone from ilo is reading this though, I think real-time VCD or SVCD ability would be an excellent addition to a firmware upgrade...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Human, LOL! Great point about the MP3's and Jpgs. I don't think there is a way to get them to the hard drive. You certainly can't record them.

I did make a CD-R of Jpgs and it played them seeing it as a media disc. It launches into a slide show begining with the first directory. If you click browser, it'll show you all directories of pictures to select if you did it that way on your computer. Same with MP3's. You navigate using the left/ right buttons. One nice touch is the up/ down buttons will rotate the picture. Sadly, when you are in the slide mode and want to browse again, it has to re-load the directories and thumbnails which is slow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Human, I put in a blank DVD-R and it wouldn't burn. Also, it took some time for the player to recognize a +R disk after I tried to burn to the -R.

Also, I agree with the timer argument and think it is likely that the unit will use the full capacity of a larger HD. Unfortunately I don't have one to try, unless of course I rob my computer.

My initial thoughts are that the unit is quite impressive, but yes the HD stutter issue has reared its ugly face on my unit as well. I used to use an AIW to capture broadcast TV then burn it to disk. The quaility of the iLO capture is superior to my AIW caps and the iLO is much much more convenient.

Also, does anyone have a unit that wasn't manufactured in July?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow, I just got a new firmware emailed to me from ilo tonight. It's not on the ilo site yet though.

Hello,
    Regarding the issue of

the playback is choppy on hd.

Please use the attach firmware to update your system. Keep in mind that
    anything that is currently recorded on your hardrive will not record
    properly onto a dvd disc even after the update. Any files that are save to
    the hardrive after the update should work fine.

Please save the file to your PC, Unzip it and burn the wmja1191.d22 file
    onto a cd-r disc. Make sure you close/finalize the disc and then insert
    into your ilo unit. The unit will prompt you with a question of wether you
    want to update it or not, click on yes and when it is done updating it will
    let you know.

(See attached file: wmja1191.zip)
    I just flashed my ilo, record 30 minutes at HQ, and NO dropouts!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since it's not on their site. For now you can download it here:

http://users.adelphia.net/~jmhill/downloads/wmja1191.zip
    Quote Quote  
  8. jmh31... thanks for the info and firmware. Much appreciated.

Did they give you any information regarding what this firmware fixes? Is it hard drive playback fix only? Any other fixes/additions?

Good to see that ilo kept to their promise they emailed me 2 weeks ago about a new firmware being released this week.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Great news... I recorded an hour long tv show on Thursday night to the hard drive. The audio hiccupped at the top of every minute when I was playing it back.

This morning... (Saturday) I installed the new firmware on the DVDRHD04 unit. Turned it off, powered back up, and played the 1 hour show I recorded on Thursday flawlessly. I skipped ahead to 50 minutes using the 5 min chapters, then FFd at 16x to 52:50 and then hit play. The audio glitch is gone.

I did all kinds of FFding and Rewinding tests at all the different speeds. This problems was resolved as well. There was no long pauses while rewinding at 16x speed. This is great news for the ilo community.

I bet the LiteOn 5045 is released in the next couple of weeks, now that they resolved this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just ran an HQ test on the hard drive. The fix is fantastic. Thanks to Normando and Harpmaker for sharing this...and especially jmh31.

I don't know why it isn't on the web site yet, unless iLO is watching to see what it does to their beta testers machines. (Um...that would be us.) <g>

Also, in jmh31's post iLO wrote:
    Keep in mind that
    anything that is currently recorded on your hardrive will not record
    properly onto a dvd disc even after the update. Any files that are save to
    the hardrive after the update should work fine.
    On my machine, programs recorded with the previous firmware recorded to DVD+RW with no problem. I tried taking an old finalized DVD+R made with the previous firmware. It copied over to the hard drive without problem and copied back to disc. No, you still can't copy a DVD made on a computer burner (of non copyrighted material) to the hard drive and back. I did a test and the current content on the HDD worked great with the new firmware.

Maybe they put that in case you're updating from the original firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I just installed the new firmware. I haven't done a full-blown hour long test yet, but initial results seem to confirm that everything is fixed.

One question remains: why will the unit refuse to copy DVDs created in a PC to the hard drive? Since the unit will copy DVDs made with itself, it obviously has nothing to do with the media. How would it know the difference?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Its flavior of format?
    Quote Quote  
  13. iLO DVDRHD04 now for the first time up on the WalMart website

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3182262&cat=105664&type=19&dept=3944

Beta testing finished???
    Seems they may be happy enough now to start pushing large numbers via the web and through the stores ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Human
    One question remains: why will the unit refuse to copy DVDs created in a PC to the hard drive? Since the unit will copy DVDs made with itself, it obviously has nothing to do with the media. How would it know the difference?
    Try a couple other tests. Make a DVD with the ilo. take it to a PC and

1) copy it with nero and see if it will play
    2) pull just the video_ts into nero for a video dvd and give it a different name

Try a couple different things and see if it is looking at the actual movie (the format that it is recorded, or something like that) vs. the headers/labels/etc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Currently, the DVDRHD04 can only copy files from a disc recorded in the DVD+VR format. Hopefully they can add the ability to copy unprotected vob files from a DVDs authored on a PC to the hard drive in the next firmware upgrade.

I read on another forum that the audio problem while recording from the DV port has been fixed as well.

This is quite the upgrade LiteOn/ilo! Keep the updates coming!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I can confirm that DV in is working flawlessly. I also read that the new firmware contains what appears to be C code in it. Does this help any of those more programming literate than myself?

Snippet taken from the liteon forums...

Below is a snippet of the code I found in the middle of the garble, open the file in an editor and search for any of the text below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

rem -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem FontConfig.bat
    rem Usage: FontConfig [cfg-file|clean|help]
    rem cfg-file It reads the input cfg-file and output the following
    rem files:
    rem bin\cfg-file.raw
    rem bin\cfg-file.tab
    rem ..\..\library\graphics\DisplayFont.hpp
    rem ..\..\library\graphics\font\font_hash.h
    rem clean It can clean all output files by calling "FontConfig clean"
    rem help It prints help information

if "%1"=="help" goto help
    if "%1" == "" goto help
    if not "%2" == "" goto help

if exist ErrorLogASC.txt goto creatfontError
    if exist characterTableLoseTS3.txt goto creatfontError
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, what about basic features like taking out commecials from stuff recorded onto the harddrive. Is it possible?

Also, since the LIteon was able to be hacked to get the 3hr mode, has anyone tried to get the 3 hr mode for this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The main problem that I have with the DVDRHD04 is that it will not play back while it is recording and you have to turn it off before it will record. If they would fix that I would love the one I have, but I probably will just take it back and spend more money on one that will do it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I got mine a week ago and can confirm the audio glitch. I downloaded the new firmware (thanks, JMH31) and I agree with everyone that the audio dropout appears to have been fixed.

Two other findings, one good, one not-so-good:

1. It plays MP3 DVD! Don't know if this has been reported, but I do believe I remember reading on some thread that the non-hard drive model (DVDR04) would not play them.

2. While skipping chapters forward and backward on the HDD I managed to get the elapsed time clock to run backwards. Don't know exactly how to duplicate what caused it, just skipping around. I think this was reported before the firmware upgrade. Stopping the file and restarting cures this, and I don't consider it to be a significant problem; in fact, I don't care if they ever fix this...just thought you'd like to know.

I am thoroughly happy with this recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Just checked www.ilohelp.com. The new firmware (WMJA1191.D22) is now available for download.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by edthesped
    I can confirm that DV in is working flawlessly. I also read that the new firmware contains what appears to be C code in it. Does this help any of those more programming literate than myself?

Snippet taken from the liteon forums...

Below is a snippet of the code I found in the middle of the garble, open the file in an editor and search for any of the text below and you'll see what I'm talking about.

rem FontConfig.bat
    rem Usage: FontConfig [cfg-file|clean|help]
    rem cfg-file It reads the input cfg-file and output the following
    rem files:
    rem bin\cfg-file.raw
    rem bin\cfg-file.tab
    rem ..\..\library\graphics\DisplayFont.hpp
    rem ..\..\library\graphics\font\font_hash.h
    rem clean It can clean all output files by calling "FontConfig clean"
    rem help It prints help information

if "%1"=="help" goto help
    if "%1" == "" goto help
    if not "%2" == "" goto help

if exist ErrorLogASC.txt goto creatfontError
    if exist characterTableLoseTS3.txt goto creatfontError

It is not C code. Its a script language.

On a side note.... new firmware up! Yeah! I think I can proclaim the ilo HD unit a keeper. Its not as fancy as the HD units that cost nearly twice as much, but it does way more and does it way better than my old S-VHS VCR. My wife is already quite taken with it and I did not look forward to prying it out of the cabinet at day 89.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks obeck,

Now how can this be used to get more out of the HD04?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Since installing the new firmware, has anyone experienced frequent lock ups when switching the unit on. I have noticed that now the HD04 frequently "hangs" at the "HELLO" prompt when starting up, it has been happening to me mostly when using the the timer. It has happened 3 times since Friday.

Here's what I have seen: Set the timer to record a program, after it stops recording don't turn it back on manually, but wait for the next program to be recorded to start. When the unit tries to wake itself up to record the next program it just gets stuck at the "HELLO" prompt.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup. Normando just had it happen to him and so have I. It's happened to me twice when turning on the machine using the power button.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jmh31
    Here's what I have seen: Set the timer to record a program, after it stops recording don't turn it back on manually, but wait for the next program to be recorded to start. When the unit tries to wake itself up to record the next program it just gets stuck at the "HELLO" prompt.
    I have the same issue with the latest firmware update. Oh well, another issue for ILO to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  26. This is strange, not sure if it's just a coincidence but, I changed my player to make it region free (same method as the other liteon units), and since then I haven't had any lockups.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jmh31
    This is strange, not sure if it's just a coincidence but, I changed my player to make it region free (same method as the other liteon units), and since then I haven't had any lockups.

Is this done through the setup menu or through a hack?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jmh31
    This is strange, not sure if it's just a coincidence but, I changed my player to make it region free (same method as the other liteon units), and since then I haven't had any lockups.
    When you change the player to region free.... do you have to do it every time you load a new firmware?

I say this because I applied the hack when I first got my player, but not after each firmware upgrade. I am on the lastest firmware and have not (yet) experienced this bug.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. The new firmware will set your Region to 1. I have it set to all region and have experienced the problem of the stuck "Hello".
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yeah, I spoke too soon I had it happen today. Also, while skipping chapters today, I had the audio go really funky, like a badly dubbed movie.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!