VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVD DVD Recorder 160GBs which records only to DVD-RW/R & DVD-VR and not DVD+RW/VR. Which burner would you recommend so I can edit movies using my PC then burn them onto DVD+R/RW discs. My current combo drive with only support DVD+RW/R and of course CDs. Sorry but I don't know much about all this not even the difference between an INTERNAL burner and a combo drive I hope someone can help. I am also looking for good burn speed and dual layer 8.5
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your burner might still be able to read VR files, though windows XP doesn't see VR files without a VR patch.

Do a search for VR instant read.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My PC sees VR files, no updates.
    Just files.

To see a DVD-RAM, you need WinXP or 2000, and then a drive to read RAM. I have an LG drive for that.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My XP DVD Combo drive only writes to DVD+RW. Is it supposed to read DVD-RW or will it with some sort of patch like you mentioned?

I need to get one that reads/writes both and I am looking for the best deal, speed and dual layer. Which is the strongly recommended is it Pioneer 108? It will make my current DVD Combo Drive obselete but that's life I suppose Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Toss up between a Sony DRU700 and a Pioneer A08, I suppose.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The Pioneer is fast but it would be no good for my editing DVD-Videos from the TV as it neither reads VR or DVD-VIDEO
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how does a pioneer A08 not read dvd-rw's recorded in either VR or video mode??
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Because from the TV my JVC records in only Video Mode or VR mode which I believe is a slightly different format than VT or VOB files. I hope I am making sense. As I hinted I am a bit of a novice to all this. I just don't want to mistakenly purchase the wrong type of drive burner which won't allow me to edit all my files I have copies from the TV and will want to edit.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use a Toshiba for reading RAM which is VR mode, it does a better job than the LG. I have RAM discs that are less than perfect quality, the Toshiba will read discs the LG stumbles on. Panasonic also makes RAM drives, I don't know how good they are.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just wanna be sure if I go for this Pioneer A08 that it will be able to read at least either the DVD Video or VR mode from a DVD-R/RW disc? This will allow me to then edit the TV footage downloaded to DVD-RW from my JVC HD DVD Recorder and even (if possible burn it back on to a DVD+R/RW disc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Your issue is more software than hardware. Your current drive should be able to read the discs from the JVC recorder (you will see the VR files in windows explorer). What you need is software that understands the format for what it is. TMPGENC DVD Author will recognize the format and allow you to edit the video and burn it to a standard DVD format with your current burner. There is another program from Ulead that will do the same thing but the name escapes me at the moment. I believe it is called DVD Movie Factory but I am not sure. I use TMPGENC DVD Author to do this very thing all of the time. I record the show in VR mode on my standalone recorder, edit out the commercials on the PC, and burn the resulting video to a standard DVD format.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's just it my current WinXP drive is only for DVD+R/RW . I've had some success in the past with Cyber Producer Gold but not Movie Factory 3 which I also have installed. I need to be able to at least see the file before I can edit it. But thanks anyway. If I just buy one of these burners but a good one I am sure it will solve many of my problems. I told my mummy that's what I'd like for Xmas. But I need to know the best one to meet my needs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Have you tried putting one of your recorded disks in your PC to see it if reads it? In the end you'll be playing it in your DVD player and that's what counts.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingoguysw5
    Because from the TV my JVC records in only Video Mode or VR mode which I believe is a slightly different format than VT or VOB files. I hope I am making sense. As I hinted I am a bit of a novice to all this. I just don't want to mistakenly purchase the wrong type of drive burner which won't allow me to edit all my files I have copies from the TV and will want to edit.
    Every burner available on the market nowadays can read VR and video mode finalized -rw's under windows xp.

I have a lite-on pc writer and it reads them no problem, (I have the same recorder as yours, except I have a 80GB hard disk)

PS just to clarify, when you have a dvd with vob, ifo and bup files, that is a video mode dvd!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks midnightsun for clarifying. You said most dvd burners on the market read VR both +/-. I was thinking of getting something like a lite-on but they say pioneer A108 wrties faster and is more multi-format. One other thing is there any difference between a dvd rom and burner?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Your current burner should be able to read -r/-rw regardless if it can write it. Even though your drive burns +r/+rw only it will still read the other format. In fact, when I read the files off the disk in my machine, I don't even use the burner to extract them. I use a generic DVD ROM drive to read it. Your issue is very likely not hardware related. It is most assuredly a software one. Try TMPGENC DVD Author. They have a free demo. Unless, of course, you need an excuse to convince the person with the money that you absolutely need an upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For a time until the other day I was able to read my using my DVD+RW Combo Drive for XP through CyberProducer Gold. No I've got up today and I still have 7 days trial left and it wont read neither my -VR files nor DVD Mode files formatted using a DVD-RW disc. The have always been invisible but at least then I could view and edit them to DVD+. Is there a patch or something which will cure this problem or do I just have to buy a burner for both?
    Quote Quote  
  18. It has nothing to do with the burner. Something else software-wise is going on. Try TMPGENC DVD Author or Ulead DVD Moviefactory. They both work very well with VR discs on mine. If you run into the same problem with these programs then something else is amiss in your computer. Buying a new burner (DVD Recorder) is not the solution to your problem. I hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have now been able to read them with Cyber Power Producer , it was I think because they were not finalised with my dvd recorder I was unable to play/edit/view them . Now my dvd recorder is off being fixed and I am left with the discs some of which I forgot to finalise, is there any other way using some sort of software I can finalise these -VR discs, through my Windows XP with appropriate software? If so which?
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you ever figure that out I'd like to know how you did it. The answer is no as far as I know. I haven't seen a post yet with a way to finalize standalone discs on the computer. I asked that question myself months ago. I try to always finalize the discs when they are recorded because if the recorder does have problems you're stuck with worthless discs. Learn from this like I did when my last recorder died, always finalize them.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try installing Nero InCD or Pinnacle Instant Write. On my Pioneer 106D with InCD installed, if I insert a VR mode disc which wasn't finalized, it will sometimes finalize it before it will eject (even if I don't want it to be finalized). Even if it isn't finalized, I can still watch the disc with PowerDVD or rip it with Power Producer.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I already have nero and PowerDVD. With my DVD+RW Combo Drive when I put the DVD-RW VR format disc inside it still appears invisible which results in not being able to do anything with it. However when finalised as I mentioned in an earlier post I am able to work with the disc. That's why I need a program which will do this for me. My DVD recorder by the way is a JVC HDD/Recorder 160GB. If it is impossible I will just have to wait until I get my recorder back and finalise the discs on there. I just thought maybe there was a possibility that's all.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Another JVC with problems. I'm reading this far too often, on this and other forums too. Unfortunetly for me and all the other people that bought them, they don't seem to last very long for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol count me in Samijubal
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Cyberlink PowerProducer, I think there is a free trial version somewhere. It's able to import files from VR discs even if the disc is invisible to Windows. If that doesn't work then it must be your drive. I also have a JVC recorder and I have no problem ripping or playing VR mode discs with my Pioneer drive (even when unfinalized, as long as InCD and Power Producer are installed). Doesn't work with my LiteOn ROM though - need to be finalized on that drive. Good reason to buy a Pioneer drive. And as I said before, my Pioneer 106D will actually finalize a VR disc with InCD (sometimes, haven't figured out why it does sometimes and sometimes not, but I guess if I insert/eject it enough times it will eventually finalize it). I don't have the 108 drive but I would assume it would be similar.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh well all it takes is wasting maybe 45 seconds to finalize the disc on the recorder and it can be read by practically every drive. Do people need to buy a pioneer just for that?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Piano I am using Cyberlink PowerProducer 3 trialware and I have nero installed anyway and the -VR file I am trying to import was not finalised on my dvd recorder. Are u quite sure that the VR doesn't need to be finalised in order to convert them to DVD Video Mode? I've tried everything I can think of. I know u don't need to see the file but that's only worked on VR files that have been finalised.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I am sure VR discs don't have to be finalized with Pioneer drive (if InCD and PowerProducer are installed). You must have a newer version of InCD which you can get from www.nero.com (Pinnacle Instant Write or some other UDF software may work also) and it's starting to look like this only works with a Pioneer drive. My other LiteOn ROM won't work with unfinalized discs. Anybody else with a Pioneer drive that can confirm this?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Why do you use the VR mode in the first place? It lowers compatibility and takes forever to finalize. Why don't you use the video mode?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In my case, VR mode is only temporary until I edit them on my PC. On my old Sharp recorder you only had to finalize a VR disc once and you could erase and record new titles without having to re-finalize and you could do this indefinitely which saved time from having to finalize every time I reused the disc. The JVC's VR mode isn't so convenient, so really there isn't much difference between VR and Video mode on the JVC. I never noticed VR mode taking any longer to finalize than Video mode.
    Quote Quote