VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been experimenting with the (S)VCD ffmpeg presets because it's so much faster than the mpeg2enc encoder. Unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of success producing a VCD or SVCD that plays well on my DVD player. I get spots of smearing and green blockiness.

I searched the forums here and came across a post in which Major recommends running an AVI file through DivX doctor first and then using the .mov file in ffmpegX. I tried that, but the conversion stops with the audio conversion with the following error:
    "Codec type mismatch for mapping #0.1 -> #0.0"

Is there something I need to enable/disable or change in ffmpegX to allow the conversion to complete? I didn't enable "Decompress audio" in DivX Doctor. Below are the stats of the Xvid file before and after running it through DivX Doctor.

Xvid AVI: VIDEO: mpeg4, 576x320, 23.98 fps. AUDIO: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 109 kb/s

After DivX Doctor: VIDEO: 3IV2, 576x320, 23.98 fps. AUDIO: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo
    Quote Quote  
  2. That error means you should enable the "Invert mapping" option in the Audio tab.

However, doctoring the DivX file first was mostly meant to solve some decoding issues with older versions of the DivX codecs.

In your case, the problem may be an encoding problem, ie your player not supporting the slightly non-standard SVCD streams generated by ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by major
    That error means you should enable the "Invert mapping" option in the Audio tab.
    Enabline "invert mapping" doesn't help. The encoding and conversion still completes, but the demux/mux and authoring stages fail. I'm left with a complete .mpv file but an empty (zero KB) .mp2 file. This only happens with the doctored .mov file, so obviously ffmpegX doesn't like something that DivX Doctor II has done to the AVI.

Here's the complete log output:

Input #0, yuv4mpegpipe, from 'pipe:':
    Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0: Video: rawvideo, yuv420p, 352x240, 23.98 fps
    Output #0, rawvideo, to '/Volumes/Firewire/film.vcdffmpeg.ff.mpv':
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg1video (hq), 352x240, 23.98 fps, q=2-20, 1150 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    [mpeg1video @ 0x331210]rc buffer underflow
    bench: utime=230.280s
    video:50520kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000000%
    Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp, from '/Volumes/Firewire/film.mov':
    Duration: 00:06:00.5, bitrate: 1638 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, stereo
    Stream #0.1: Video: 3IV2, 576x320, 23.98 fps
    Codec type mismatch for mapping #0.1 -> #0.0
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I had this problem a while back and it was stated that 'invert mapping' doesn't work with the ffmpeg codec when 'decode with QT' is enabled. I've found that sometimes DivX Doctor II does invert the mapping. Just look at the Get Movie Properties window in QT, if the sound track is listed first, it's inverted. I've also found that usually I can't output at 23.98fps unless 'decode with QT' is enabled. I can choose 23.98 but it outputs 29.97. And then there's the bug that when I add manual letterboxing to a 352x480 widescreen 16:9 movie the aspect goes back to 4:3, even though 16:9 is chosen

Also, using Two-Pass encoding solved many of the problems I was having with the ffmpeg codec. I always choose 'High Quaility', 'Two-pass encoding', and 'Trellis quantization'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TugBoat
    I think I had this problem a while back and it was stated that 'invert mapping' doesn't work with the ffmpeg codec when 'decode with QT' is enabled. I've found that sometimes DivX Doctor II does invert the mapping.
    Thanks, that looks to be the source of the problem. I wonder why DivX Doctor II inverts the mapping if it causes this sort of problem.

I tried using the SVCD ffmpeg preset on the xvid file. It played in my DVD player without smearing or blockiness. However, the audio does stutter at times (when there is more movement on-screen). I don't understand why my DVD player would be more tolerant of a ffmpeg SVCD than a ffmpeg VCD. Oh well, I'm going to experiment with that preset a bit more to see if it's acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It is because SVCDs use variable bitrate, while VCD constant bitrate, and ffmpeg always outputs somewhat variable bitrate, with some peaks (which cause some players not to follow).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mildew
    ...However, the audio does stutter at times (when there is more movement on-screen). I don't understand why my DVD player would be more tolerant of a ffmpeg SVCD than a ffmpeg VCD.
    I've found the same thing with both my DVD Players, they do not like ffmpeg or mpeg2enc mpg1s. They do like the mpg2s, as long as I make sure the Keyframe interval is set right and use 2-pass encoding.

You might have one of those players that's highly susceptible to errors in the video stream. I've found that you're going to have some errors in the video stream, using ffmpeg, no matter what. Two-pass encoding cuts down on the errors but you still have some. One of my Players, a Sylvania, will lose audio sync when it runs across one of these errors, the others will not. The other Players will stutter the audio, if necessary, to keep the sync. I've also found that the Sylvania will sometimes breakup the audio on high motion/sound scenes where the other Players won't. Of course, commercial DVDs play fine on the Sylvania. It also plays DVDs authored with expensive/slow high bitrate encoders fine too. Toss it some low bitrate mpg2s with a few errors in the stream and it chokes
    Quote Quote