VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have quite strange problem with capturing video with my Radeon 9200 Vivo. I've tried to capture video from tapes recorded with my analog Panasonic camcorder. Usually everything is OK, but I have problems with some tapes.

You can see the problem here:
    http://kb.e9.pl/publiczny/migotanie.avi
    (AVI, XVID, about 600 kb)

Every few seconds there is something like a flash. At first I thought that maybe there is something wrong with the tapes, but when I connect my camcorder to TV everything is OK. It seems that the problem is only on my VIVO and only with some of the tapes. Then I thought that maybe it is something with my VIVO, but all the other tapes are captured properly.

Maybe you know where is the problem?

Details:
    Radeon 9200 VIVO
    Amd Athloon XP 2500+
    512 MB RAM
    fast HDD
    PAL D (also tried PAL B)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    download is bad ... sounds like false MV
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So how should I solve the problem?

I've googled for "false macrovision" and found this

http://groups.google.pl/groups?hl=pl&lr=&threadm=10d4e10d.0209020013.5a6edb95%40postin...om%26rnum%3D21

They recommended to install this patch
    http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/SupportUtils/DisableATIMacrovisionDetection.zip

but it didn't help me.

The problem described in this usenet topic was almost the same as mine so I gusess that it is "false macrovision problem". But still i ca'nt find the solution to it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello-I had a similar situation with analog capture from my Hi8 VCR, white flashes along the top of the screen. A Time Base Corrector took care of it. Purchased the Tvone AVT-8710 and that took care of the problem. Using an ATI AIW9800Pro.
    Don't know much about macrovison, I only do original stuff, but I've heard this TBC will take care of that as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you shure that video corrector will also help me on my Radeon 9200? I've read somewhere that it works not with all of radeons. YOu know about 9200? Or mayce: is here anybody whoe bypassed the macrovision problem on this particular ati card?

Maybe I may seem boring, but since I detected the problem "false macrovision fight" has became integral part of my life
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kb1985

Maybe I may seem boring, but since I detected the problem "false macrovision fight" has became integral part of my life

I fought it for 2 months, give up and get a TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A TBC is a TBC is a TBC (full frames ones!). It will always work with any card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by thecoalman

OMG I sound like LS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello again-I could not believe I paid $350 for a video card(AIW 9800Pro), then another $200 for a TBC(AVT-8710), but it was worth it. The TBC features of the AVT-8710 work very well. The video enhancement features work as well, don't go more than +2 clicks or your video will look overproduced. You can look around, but the AVT-8710 does a terrific job for $200. I've seen info around that claims computer software will do the same job as a full frame TBC, but I don't think so.
    Take a tip from Hollywood, use the money gun, use a TBC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

OMG I sound like LS.
    Welcome to the dark side. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've went today to buy the TBC. They seem quite expensive. I found something like this:

http://www.kai.com.pl/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=42
    (click the photo to enlarge)

Is it worth buying? Will it help witht false macrovision?

Let me transalte the site, bacause it is in polish.

Translation:
    "VideoProcesor VCP 2001 is newer version of VideoKorektor. It has all it's abilites plus color adjust, brightness adjust and sound adjust. We improved adjusting of sharpness (from blurred to extremely sharped). It is equipped with CINCH. We suggest buing 12v/500mA..."

And one more thing... it comes in MONO and STEREO version. Can I buy MONO version and just bypass it and connect audio cables directly to my sound card? It is VIDEO sorrector so I thing it doesn't need any audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    i bought the thing that is called VideoProcessor. It's a small device with 4 knobs.
    1) FADE (darkness?)
    2) COLOR
    3) SHARPNESS
    4) SOUND (useless, because i connect only video)

It has composite (chinch) in and composite (cinch) out.
    It's supposed to kill macrovision while copying movies from VHS to VHS. I conncected it to my ATI hoping that it will get rid of false macrovison effect but it didn't help. Few days later I accidentaly found interesting thing. If I turn the FADE knob and make the video darker and feed my ATI card with such material for several seconds/minutes and the ATI macrovision detection seems to turn off! I can now disconnect my VideoProcessor device and conenct my camcorder directly to ATI Card and there still is no Macrovicion! It works unti next restart of my PC. I'm really happy with the result, but do you know how is that possible? Does feeding the ATI card with dark material somehow fools the Macrovision detection?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting as I have often thought that the effect became worse over time. Not positive that it actually did as I wasn't examining it closely when I first noticed it.
    Quote Quote