VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I bought some Ridata dvd-rw the other day and they didnt work in the above player. I know memorex and pioneers will work but a bit costly. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK....even I will admit that Ridata -RW's are junk. But buying Memorsux? That is a 50/50 chance of getting quality discs.
    Buying quality RW's is just tough period....especially in retail places like Circuit City, Best Buy....etc etc.
    Alot here are trying Prodisc DVDR's....might want to try them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use Fuji- -r & -rw Never a problem

Originally Posted by buick
    I bought some Ridata dvd-rw the other day and they didnt work in the above player. I know memorex and pioneers will work but a bit costly. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. TDK-RW and Maxell-R/Sony-R/TDK-R
    Have never had any problems with those.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the 80GB hard disk equipped model. What I've been using is Verbatim MCC 2x -RW's and TDK 2x -RW's. I should point out that I always record to hard disk and then dub to -RW. In any case I've never had a problem with these discs.
    Sorry, I had to go see about a girl
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Neuron
    TDK-RW and Maxell-R/Sony-R/TDK-R
    Where do you get the TDK RWs? I cant find them in anything smaller than a 25 pack, I only want 5 or 10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Where do you get the TDK RWs? I cant find them in anything smaller than a 25 pack, I only want 5 or 10.

5-packs at CompUSA for $12.99: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?ref=yahoo&pfp=yahoo&product_code=302380
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by samijubal
    Originally Posted by Neuron
    TDK-RW and Maxell-R/Sony-R/TDK-R
    Walgreens in PA and they only have them in 5-packs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    OK....even I will admit that Ridata -RW's are junk.
    When I first got my JVC I bought 25 Ritek 2X -RW's from Meritline and have had no problems at all. I wish I'd bought a few more.

If I take a finalized disc to my PC and use Kprobe to scan it on my Liteon 812S burner the error rates are about as low as Maxell -R's. I know that Ritek quality can vary but its usually pretty good media.

Your results may vary but I'm happy.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mostly have Fuji -RW (5pk) that I bought at Best Buy. No problems.
    Also, have 2 Sony that I bought at Target.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <<I use Fuji- -r & -rw Never a problem >>

So do I and no problem. They are Taiyo Yuden discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Offroad
    When I first got my JVC I bought 25 Ritek 2X -RW's from Meritline and have had no problems at all. I wish I'd bought a few more.

If I take a finalized disc to my PC and use Kprobe to scan it on my Liteon 812S burner the error rates are about as low as Maxell -R's. I know that Ritek quality can vary but its usually pretty good media.

Your results may vary but I'm happy.
    I had a 5 pack of Ritek -RW's my dad bought by mistake....his DVD Recorder is a + machine. Anyway I only used them in my computer(my DVD Recorder is a + also) and I really HATED those things. Every other re-write gave me an error so I chucked them in the garbage (angrily I might add) and broke out my old reliable BenQ's(+RW's)....these thing are awesome in my computer.
    Maybe I was doing something wrong....I don't know.
    I am a faithful Ritek "non RW" fan.....always have been. Even back in the 1x and 2x days. Those were all I ever used in my Philips DVD Recorder and those old discs are still perfect.
    It's the RW Riteks that gave me problems.
    Quote Quote  
  13. So from reading this I guess the Fujis from Best Buy are problem free? I have a Best Buy pretty close and they have them, can't find TDK local and 3 Maxells are more the one place I can find them than the 5 Fujis are at Best Buy. I've never used an RW disc in anything. How fast do they read in the PC? I have an NEC 3500. Got to be faster than RAMs I'm hoping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Fuji's from Best Buy are fine. I have 10 myself.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. I highly recommend the Fuji media as well. Never had a problem with them yet.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Offroad

The key word here is "2X". JVC and most of the - recorders will only take 2x DVD-RW, not the newer 4X. It is a compatibility issue, not a quality issue. The 4x DVD-RW discs can only be used in a 8X DVD burner which most of the recorders are not yet using.

see:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239799&highlight=dvdrw
    Quote Quote  
  17. Are those Fuji discs made in Taiwan?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Are those Fuji discs made in Taiwan?
    Probably
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Fuji 2x -RW are currently made in Singapore by MCC.
    Quote Quote  
  20. They are Singapore, the Rs were Taiwan.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Good point cchang I think the ones I purchased was 4x and it wont read them at all. I did a search at bestbuy on the fuji and didn't see 2x dvd-rw just 1x which is to slow for me but thanks for all the input on the disk that do work, time to go shop!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just 1x which is to slow for me
    I don't think this will make a difference unless you are writing them on the PC. All the recorders, (at least those without a hard drive) write at 1X.

If your just using them to watch recorded programs or to rip to PC for editing, 1x should be as good as 2x since the read speed during ripping to the PC shouldn't be any different. Burning one on the PC would be long wait however, compared to the 4x +RW's I use for data backups and for testing my home movie DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by piano632
    The Fuji 2x -RW are currently made in Singapore by MCC.
    Yeah, that's right. I long ago tossed my boxes/cases.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Offroad do you think 1x will do video in realtime on these recorders, I have been using it some to record shows and watch on the spot, but my main thing is to do my home video's and dump them to my PC to author and been working great and fast.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Are those Fuji discs made in Taiwan?
    Probably
    I bought a 6 pack of +R's and they were from Taiwan. Also bought a 25 pack spindal that was made in Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Offroad do you think 1x will do video in realtime on these recorders, I have been using it some to record shows and watch on the spot, but my main thing is to do my home video's and dump them to my PC to author and been working great and fast.
    1x "is" realtime both for recording and playback, so a 1x disc should be fine for recording or playback. The recorders with Hard drives will do high speed dubing from the hard drive to a DVD so you would probably want something faster if you have a hard drive recorder.

For ripping to a PC for authoring, a 1x RW shouldn't be read any slower than a 2x or 4x, the read speed is a function of how your PC DVD burner handles reads on a particular "type" (-RW, -R, +RW etc) of disc not the speed of the disc itself.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just finished hooking up a JVC-DRM10S for my family, and I have a question that I don't think I've seen addressed.
    Before choosing the brand and model of DVD Recorder, I had spent some time reading the different discussions here and at avsforum.com regarding choosing DVD-R's and about paying attention to the country where the DVD-R's were made.
    People were frequently saying that if you were buying, say, Fuji, to look for the packaging saying that the Fuji DVD-R's were made in Japan, i.e. the manufacturing plants in Japan are producing much higher quality blank DVD-R's than the plants in Taiwan, Malaysia, et al.
    But in researching opinions in that forum and this one, this "Made in Japan" rule doesn't appear to apply to DVD-RW's.
    Because I'm new to all this, I had gone to the effort of checking out a lot of boxes of DVD-RW's and had finally found a box of Sony brand DVD-RW's made in Japan.
    I thought it was an interesting situation that where the manufacturing plant is is so critical for DVD-R's but that apparently it is not critical in the case of DVD-RW's. I noticed on the store shelves the brands of DVD-RW's that you all are saying you're happy with, and those ones (at least at the stores in my area) are made in Singapore/Malaysia/and or Taiwan.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FugiFilm -RW's made in Singapore. No problems!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Yes, DVD-RW is a completely different animal. I've got a few of those Singapore Fuji's and they've been working great.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Matt_
    But in researching opinions in that forum and this one, this "Made in Japan" rule doesn't appear to apply to DVD-RW's.
    Because I'm new to all this, I had gone to the effort of checking out a lot of boxes of DVD-RW's and had finally found a box of Sony brand DVD-RW's made in Japan.
    Actually the same rule still applies to DVD-RW or any other media, except that you rarely find made in Japan DVD-RW media sold in the US. Taiyo Yuden and Maxell don't make DVD-RW on their own (TY has even stated on their website that they have no plans to manufacture rewritable media). Mitsubishi Kagaku Media (formerly Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation) has plants in both Japan and Singapore, but normally the media made in Singapore are sold outside Japan, and MKM or MCC made in Singapore media are almost as good as made in Japan stuff.

You'd better get hold of those made in Japan DVD-RW and/or DVD+RW media if possible, they will disappear quickly since Sony has switched the production to Taiwan as usual. See the following link for the quality of these made in Japan Sony DVD+RW discs (DVD-RW should be similar):

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=113237

BTW, if these Sony DVD-RW media are 4X, you can't use them with most standalone recoders except the Pioneer DVR-220/225/420H/520H series.
    Quote Quote