VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hey everybody,
    i am in dire need to edit an audio file of mine which is an .mp3. i need to shorten its length, and since i am used to using Windows Movie Maker to edit my audios, i need to first convert the file to either WMA or WAV. so if anybody can post anything relevant at all that would be greatly appreciated. also if anybody has another shortcut way to achieve what i need to achieve, please feel free to post. ALL POSTS ARE WELCOME. so please dont hesitate. thanx to all.

-skip2mylou
    Wow! You got shocks, pegs... LUCKY!
    Quote Quote  
  2. there is a freerip at pcworld.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there's literally hundreds of programs to encode from mp3 to wave And from wav to mp3
    member since 1843
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi skip2mylou,

Check out the "Audio Editors" in the "Tools" section - the top 3 in the list (click the link) are free and can cut MP3.

So, no need to change format - which is better for quality and time saving.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are hundreds of programs. Many of them are free, or are bundled with other packages (CD-Burning, video, etc), you may already have one.

GOLDWAVE is my preferred audio editor. It will open MP3, WAV, WMA, AVI and output WAV or MP3 or other formats (see website http://www.goldwave.com for details -download the Lame MP3 encoder to output mp3). It is shareware, you can try it free, and it is not expensive ($45).

I have been using it for many years for audio work (LP, VHS, 8-Track etc -> CD). I tried and bought other programs, but goldwave does everything I need for audio work. Fast and easy to work with (tip - set the temporary storage to ram to speed editing - since does not need to read/write to disk, but can work from hard disk if audio file bigger than available ram).
    Quote Quote  
  6. This maybe off topic, but I don't know how to phrase it in a new post. So, here is goes...

I have a large mp3 (75mins) to burn into an audio CD by using roxio v6. I always want to split this big file into small track (perhaps 5 mins per track), so I can direct to different place from time to time.

I used Goldwave to split them before and it is time consuming. Is there a burning software, like Roxio or NTI, that will burn and put markers in at the same time, so I don't have to do it?

Thanks... ( I am sure many people have the same question as I, but did not know how to ask it)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by skip2mylou
    hey everybody,
    i am in dire need to edit an audio file of mine which is an .mp3. i need to shorten its length, and since i am used to using Windows Movie Maker to edit my audios, i need to first convert the file to either WMA or WAV. so if anybody can post anything relevant at all that would be greatly appreciated. also if anybody has another shortcut way to achieve what i need to achieve, please feel free to post. ALL POSTS ARE WELCOME. so please dont hesitate. thanx to all.

-skip2mylou
    You should be able to edit/cut mp3 in audacity (free) no conversion needed. If you really want to convert you could use besweet with besweetgui (also free) to convert the mp3 to wav.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  8. not to be an a-hole, but do people even bother looking anymore?
    Quote Quote  
  9. tienquang2

Is the time consuming part for Goldwave the conversion from MP3 and the re-saving as WAV?

I have always found Goldwave to be one of the better tools for splitting. I will typically record the side of an LP in Goldwave, and then use cue points to split. Shift-Q to drop a que at the current location (so can do visually from timeline), or the Cue tool to manually enter them for time, or to use the silence detection in Autocue (Mark Silence), or to auto-insert cues at fixed time intervals in Autocue (Spacing).

There are many options - I use the Drop cue to time the cue/split points just where I want them. Then the split file (on CD Boundries) plits & saves as waves the separate tracks with autonumbering. When I burn then to CD with no gap between tracks it plays seamlessly as if the LP, But I can jump to each track. It goes pretty quickly for me.

Since I am going the other way, I then batch convert the split files to MP3s, so that I have MP3s of each track.

I was just wondering, since you found the Goldwave prcess time consuming?

To answer your question - I have not looked to see in the different burning software, as I have not needed it. I also had some poor experiences burning CDs directly from MP3s - for a variety of reasons - and so prefer to keep the audio and CD processes with their respective tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hexxisoft
    not to be an a-hole, but do people even bother looking anymore?
    on that note, google search first, forum post second ppl !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote