VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old Pentium 550Mhz junker computer that I was thinking about using as a "Firewall". I've heard you can do this but I was just wondering if any of you do it and what you need to do as far as setup?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 808smokey
    I have an old Pentium 550Mhz junker computer that I was thinking about using as a "Firewall". I've heard you can do this but I was just wondering if any of you do it and what you need to do as far as setup?

Thanks
    Windows XP has everything you need built-in, except the two ethernet cards you'll need, which are about $6 each online

We have a machine that acts as a firewall this way on our wired and wireless LAN at home
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    follow this easy to run guide to install a very good free linux firewall on an system ..

there are even linux firewalls which can run off 1 single floppy (no hard drive required)

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39023731,20264940,00.htm
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. I used this for a few years FreeSCO
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I run a Linux firewall on a 200MHz Pentium. I really don't need anywhere near that much power for the firewall but I also run some database applications and a caching/filtering web proxy on that machine. Most of the people I know use Linux or BSD firewalls for the reliability and ease of maintenance, they take a little time to set up but barring hardware failure you can largely ignore them for a few years at a time.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are websites where you do all your setup and it creates the disk for you (that is bootable) ... or other such pretty easy to use setup gui 's ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote