VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    2010 update -- Fixing the JVC DVD Recorder "LOADING" Issue / JVC Will Not Recognize Blank DVDs
    I've compiled a new thread on this topic at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/showthread.php/fixing-jvc-dvd-2008.html -- I've been trying to organized all available JVC information better for those who need it!

Alright, I've finally seen it. Four times:

The morning Chris Reeves died, I decided to record CNN for 15-25 hours to catch all the news coverage. A friend is a big fan. For the first time, I hooked a cable coax directly into it. Went through 4 discs that day.

1) The fourth disc refuses to finalize. At about 25% it goes into "loading". I bet it's the disc, but this disc has been used over and over again. it'll play the full 4:15 just fine!

2) After trying to finalize the 4th, I tried the 3rd. No luck, loading as soon as disc inserted. I turned it off. Tried again, finalized fine.

3) Next day recording a tv show. When I hit stop (about 2 hours in 4-hour mode), went to loading. Recording fine, finalized fine later one.

4) Last night, while recording, again, CNN. Pres debates III. Hit stop, went to loading. Turned off, went back on. Then finalized disc fine.

Well, that's it.
    All of them right in a row.

Doing more again today, will see how it goes.

I had the unit in the default POWER SAVE mode (off?), and for the first time, change it after the 4th "loading" message. It now turns off (no clock, nothing), and has to go into "wake up" mode when turned on. Maybe there is some glitch in the power setting when turned on? Don't know, will research more. Hopefully, this is an isolated fluke, repairable by changing the power mode.

This was the unit I bought in May, a Japan unit, and it's been used almost daily since the box was first opened. Sometimes for up to 12 hours in a day. The 20-hour day was a first. Did it overheat? Did I kill it? Unknown so far.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 30th Jan 2010 at 18:54.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. The only time I've seen it on mine so far is when I unplug it and plug it back in. I still have it in the regular power mode, too.

Maybe this is related... I have a Bravo D1 upscaling DVD player that many people have loading trouble with. When I shut my system down, power is completely disconnected from it. When it start back up, it is forced to recycle each time, rather than staying in a standby mode. I don't have any problems with this machine after more than 18 months of daily use, and I think it is because of the frequent re-starting.

I wonder if the JVC recorder would benefit from complete power disconnection and re-connection each time it is started up? I know that's a pain in the butt as far as the clock goes, though...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't think it overheated, unless the laser itself overheated. Mine stays alot cooler when it's on than when it's off. That's a long time of steady use, I always give mine a break after 2 or 3 hours. Past the warranty, bad news.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just did a 3-hour recording, no problems. I'm betting the power issue is very, very related.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is exactly what happened to me. I'm hoping it works out well, please let us know what happens. I'm curious and I still have a slight sick feeling when it comes to the JVC M10's durability.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  6. You're not the only one on that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    normally when I stop recording, I disconnect the system from power; so when re-starting, I get this "loading" message fro a while and that's it ;
    when recording, even for hours it does not get warm or hot; but a few times I forgot to disconnect after recording and left it in stand by - then the JVC gets warm - maybe this continuous "heat" during stand by periods causes some accelerated aging of the electronics ...
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have the VHS/Recorder combo unit and, while I've never experienced this problem (knock on wood), it quite frequently refuses to load a VHS tape. I have to turn it off, disconnect the power and reboot it in order for the automatic motor to take in the tape. This may support a power issue theory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    xiaNaix, no, the VHS VCR in the combo units is just crap. The regular JVC VHS VCRs act this way too, as do the ultra-cheap S-VHS units. It's a cheap-ass assembly problem.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mine went into the dreaded loading twice today. It keeps mysteriously switching from line 1 to line 2 by itself, I use a universal remote that has no buttons for channels, the recorder just does it by itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another two days of recordings went just fine.
    Maybe the unit just gets pissed off being left on too long?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Been recording most of the day, OK so far. I think I hit a button on the universal remote it didn't like that made it lock up and go into loading.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf, I was wondering if your JVC M10 is working ok. I'm sure you have been using it steadily.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have had the deaded "loading" message off and on since I bought my unit in July. It has become progresively worse to the point where I can't use it all now. It would flash the loading message for days until I pulled the plug again. I might get one recording done before it would start flashing again. It was a few weeks out of warranty, so I called JVC and they agreed to give me a one-time accomodation to fix it for free. Has anyone had their unit repaired for this problem and has it worked right afterwords. Thanks.

Jay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ejai
    Lordsmurf, I was wondering if your JVC M10 is working ok. I'm sure you have been using it steadily.
    Still fine. Use it daily.
    Sometimes just an hour,
    sometimes up to 10 hours (usually NOT consecutive).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stressbuster
    Has anyone had their unit repaired for this problem and has it worked right afterwords. Thanks.

Jay
    It happened to me and I had to take it in for service, which was free due to the warranty and it hasn't happened since. I must admit that I am not using it as much as I did before because I have two of them. The second one has not given me any problem yet and it has been over 3 months now.

As for Lordsmurf I am glad to see that things are working out fine. I must admit that I don't tell people to buy this machine anymore because of the "LOADING" bug. I'm not convinced that the JVC M10 is a well made machine.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm not too convinced of the quality either, but it's the picture that keeps me from recommending it. Those lines in the background on every recording, no matter how good the input signal is suck. I think I liked the E-20 better myself, those lines are so distracting I can hardly even watch the movies sometimes. The only real advantage is 5 min increment record settings, and using all of an R disc. I don't think that makes up for those lines myself though, very distracting to me, reminds me of cable days a decade ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    . Those lines in the background on every recording, no matter how good the input signal is suck. I think I liked the E-20 better myself, those lines are so distracting I can hardly even watch the movies sometimes. The only real advantage is 5 min increment record settings, and using all of an R disc. I don't think that makes up for those lines myself though, very distracting to me, reminds me of cable days a decade ago.
    What lines? Sounds more like an error with your signal. I see no lines.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious about the line as well, I haven't seen any lines or major problems with the video quality. Please elaborate further maybe the problem might be with the source device.
    Quote Quote  
  20. It has dark lines that sometimes move up and sometimes move down in the picture, they are most visable on dark scenes. I have the signal from the same satellite run over 40 feet to a back room and it's picture perfect. I've tried different cables, moving stuff around, nothing works. I can see it in recordings that were made on the prior machine too, so it's not just this unit. I never saw anything in the Panasonic picture, so I'm sure it's the recorder. I also use a Panamax surge protector. I can see them just running the signal through the recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If I look real hard, sometimes I can see faint horizontal bands that travel or "roll" slowly up the monitor screen. Perhaps it is a bit of processing output noise. I have not seen this occur in actual recordings, though. When I play back the finished DVD's, the rolling bands are not there.
    Quote Quote  
  22. That is them, sometimes they roll up, sometimes down. They are in every recording I make. I just went and hooked up an entirely different satellite receiver, the one I usually use is a 4DTV digital, the one I just tried is c-band, still there. I tried different cables and a different input on the recorder and different output on the satellites, still there. This completely ruins it for me. Anyone got an E20 they want to trade for this thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like an interference problem to me or some type of power issue dealing with your electrical current. I've experienced that during the summer time when my air conditioner was on.

I do agree that some of these issues did not show up on my Panasonic. Even though the JVC is known for a better picture I wasn't happy with it because of the softening filter that made my videos lose the sharpness that was in the original tape. My eyes sometimes would water because of the blurriness.

I've just recently found a video enhancer "Vidicraft Vidimate" that made a difference in the picture. I was able to make the video darker with contrast and sharper without adding noise. If it wasn't for the Vidimate I think I would of sold the JVC and looked for another machine.

I did like the sharpness and contrast of the Panasonic, but it lacked quality when it came to older video tapes, the JVC did a better job. I know you must be really fustrated, I've been there.

If I ever need to buy another dvd recorder it will not be a JVC.

Try one more thing, if you could move the recorder to another room and attempt to record again. See if it makes a difference. It seems like interference to me. Let us know what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I can't really move the recorder because the incoming satellite cables are where the recorder is. I can't take it in the bedroom where the satelluite signal is run to either because although it has a perfect picture on the TV, if I try to run it through a recorder it gets white bands in the picture. I do have some DVDs that were recorded on the Panasonic and copied on the JVC because I couldn't get them to copy on the computer. Those were copied in another room, so I'll have to check them and see if I can see anything in them or not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The coax satellite cables are picking up FM signals, most likely. Every new piece of gear adds to the problem. I deal with this. Sometimes herringbone even bleeds into the tv (but not the recorder or even VCR).

Filter, filter, filter. And pretty much never expect 100% perfection. Try to grab that 99% as best as you can.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've never had problems with anything but this machine. I've used an E10, E20, E50 and numerous VCRs in the same place and never seen anything in the picture. The satellite cables aren't even very close to the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well, all I know is I am extremely picky about the image quality and have not been disappointed with any recording made on my JVC so far. I was not completely happy with the Panasonic I had because of macroblocking primarily, and the inability to record in DVD-Video format using RW's.

If I was in any way unhappy with my JVC, I would sell it on eBay right away and get something else. It is a popular unit and will fetch a decent price used. Then I would be able to stop complaining... :P
    Quote Quote  
  28. Bought my DR-M10S on june 2004, Germany made, used every day 2-3 hours. Power saving always activated, DR-M10s needs to "wake up".

Seen "loading" message only one time during a recording. The "loading" message disappeared without doing anything, but the recording was lost. The machine was not hot, I did use it just as long as every day. No scratches or fingerprints on the TDK-RW 2* that I'm still using now without any problems. No explanation !

Other problems :

- a thick black vertical line goes from left to right, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, very visible on very dark scenes. Not visible on source, only when monitoring DR-M10s.

- clear sources are washed out, sometimes to the point we can only see a white screen and even synchronisation is lost and picture is brocken from the upper left side.

But I'm still happy. I don't use my DVB PCI card anymore. Picture sharpness is better with the DVB PCI card, but often the streams don't match the DVD recommendations and I have to much problems to author them. I hope I won't suffer this "loading" message again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    If I was in any way unhappy with my JVC, I would sell it on eBay right away and get something else. It is a popular unit and will fetch a decent price used. Then I would be able to stop complaining... :P
    People aren't complaining because they have nothing better to do, they are trying to find answers to problems they didn't expect to have. I think most of us want to use the JVC as long as it works well for us. We see the potential but there are some issues that need to be worked out.

It took me 2 months to finally get the quality that I've been looking for and that only happened after I took your advice and bought (yet another piece of machinery) the Vidicraft Vidimate. I must admit that the quality of video that I am producing now looks better than anything I did with the Panasonic.

Depending on what people are looking for the JVC, Panasonic or any onther brand could fit that bill. I'm personally into quality that is why I continued to work on finding a way to make the JVC picture better, and I did. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where does one find this said "Vidicraft Vidimate"? Is it available in the US? How expensive?
    "We are the people our parents warned us about..." - J. Buffett.
    Quote Quote