VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Well, all I know is I am extremely picky about the image quality and have not been disappointed with any recording made on my JVC so far. I was not completely happy with the Panasonic I had because of macroblocking primarily, and the inability to record in DVD-Video format using RW's.

If I was in any way unhappy with my JVC, I would sell it on eBay right away and get something else. It is a popular unit and will fetch a decent price used. Then I would be able to stop complaining... :P
    This describes me perfectly.
    And then add in that the JVC image quality was slightly better than ATI AIW quality (because of JVC filters and LSI chips).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know it decribes both of you because it was your recommendations that made others decide to try the JVC.

Yet if people complain about the shortcommings then you get offended. Maybe that guy was right, maybe you do own stock in JVC.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Slavamon
    Where does one find this said "Vidicraft Vidimate"? Is it available in the US? How expensive?
    From what I can tell the product is nolonger being made so I had to go and bid for one on Ebay. I got mine for around $50 U.S. It makes the video look great. It sharpens the video and makes the color even richer.

There might also be other companies that create similar devices, I'm sorry but I don't know any.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ejai
    I know it decribes both of you because it was your recommendations that made others decide to try the JVC.

Yet if people complain about the shortcommings then you get offended. Maybe that guy was right, maybe you do own stock in JVC.
    http://www.axl.co.uk/LSE/EQUITIES/MHE.asp

No, it looks like that would have been a bad idea. They had a rise in 2001, but it's been all downhill since then. They're still not at 2000 records. Heck, I may have some in a mutual fund (401k or IRA), but I'd have to look all day long in the prospectus'. Even then, it's probably be some tenth of a percent at most. Maybe a full percent or two on the high side.

Here's an article from back in the day:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1595335.stm

I should have invested in eBay's IPO. From $8 per share, now split twice, and still in the triple-digit last I saw.

Originally Posted by ejai
    Originally Posted by Slavamon
    Where does one find this said "Vidicraft Vidimate"? Is it available in the US? How expensive?
    From what I can tell the product is nolonger being made so I had to go and bid for one on Ebay. I got mine for around $50 U.S. It makes the video look great. It sharpens the video and makes the color even richer.

There might also be other companies that create similar devices, I'm sorry but I don't know any.
    Vidicraft was bought a few times, and from what I hear and see, appears to now be in the hands of SIGNVIDEO (www.signvideo.com). They have several devices, including detailers and proc amps. I have the DR-1000 detailer, and it's quite nice. By far one of the best additions I've made recently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now thats how you give advice.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sold my Daytek P-30 and recently I returned the Philips DVDR75. I have not decided this JVC or the Liteon 5006 until this last moment. Thanks guys.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ejai

It was reading here that got me to buy it too. And the lines aren't from the satellite cables, they are at least 1 foot from the recorder and the cables run to the back room, both RG6 satellite incoming and wires to back room, are taped to the incoming satellite cable for at least 6 feet and there are no lines in the back room. I've used the E-10 in there to record from the satellite 40+ feet away a few times and have never seen them in the recordings. I don't think anyone looks close enough. Get a high resolution input source and TV and bring up some kind of stationary screen, preferably dark, can't miss them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. ..... I don't think anyone looks close enough. Get a high resolution input source and TV and bring up .....
    samijubal,
    My JVC DR-M10 connected now to 42" Panny HDTV plasma and I do not see any "lines" or any other distortions. I believe you might simply got a bad apple. Exchange it and see the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ejai

I'm not offended. It was a JOKE. Lighten up.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Vidicraft was bought a few times, and from what I hear and see, appears to now be in the hands of SIGNVIDEO (www.signvideo.com). They have several devices, including detailers and proc amps. I have the DR-1000 detailer, and it's quite nice. By far one of the best additions I've made recently.
    Vidicraft was most successful in the video processor business during the mid to late 80's. All their products were designed and built in the USA and have a reputation for excellent image quality. The firm was eventually sold and the new owners moved all production to Hong Kong.

As consumer demand for high-end hardware video processors declined with the advent of cheaper alternatives (Sima, for example)... and digital video began to catch on, Vidicraft went under. Like lordsmurf said, some of the original designers and engineers that started Vidicraft are now providing USA made, high-end prosumer video processors and videography accessories at Sign Video. Nice people, too.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Neuron
    ..... I don't think anyone looks close enough. Get a high resolution input source and TV and bring up .....
    samijubal,
    My JVC DR-M10 connected now to 42" Panny HDTV plasma and I do not see any "lines" or any other distortions. I believe you might simply got a bad apple. Exchange it and see the difference.
    I'm on the second one now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Well, all I know is I am extremely picky about the image quality and have not been disappointed with any recording made on my JVC so far. I was not completely happy with the Panasonic I had because of macroblocking primarily, and the inability to record in DVD-Video format using RW's.

If I was in any way unhappy with my JVC, I would sell it on eBay right away and get something else. It is a popular unit and will fetch a decent price used. Then I would be able to stop complaining... :P
    I have $425 in this machine and have never sold anything on e-bay, only bought. If I could get half what I've got in it I'd be very lucky indeed, after 3 months of use.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by samijubal

I have $425 in this machine and have never sold anything on e-bay, only bought. If I could get half what I've got in it I'd be very lucky indeed, after 3 months of use.
    Sounds like you purchased it at a retail store, then. How is their return/exchange policy? For $425, they should be bending over backwards to satisfy you after only three months... that is a premium price.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I bought a return which can't be returned to where it came from. It was that much because of the 5-year warranty. After my E-20 only lasted 2 1/2 years, and the first one of these lasted a week or so, I figured it was a sound investment buying an extended warranty. My good old E-10 still works like day 1 and it has probably seen as much use as the E-20 and JVC combined.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    samijubal, I'm sorry that you are not satisified or able to get the JVC to work right. I do admit nothing is perfect but my E50's quality does not stand up to the JVC. I took My E50 out of the closet and decided to compare clips and the JVC looks better in most areas. I mean when you look reeeeeeeeaaaaal close you definately see a difference.

I really wished you could find out what the problem was, could it be that the machine is defective.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by samijubal
    I bought a return which can't be returned to where it came from. It was that much because of the 5-year warranty. After my E-20 only lasted 2 1/2 years, and the first one of these lasted a week or so, I figured it was a sound investment buying an extended warranty. My good old E-10 still works like day 1 and it has probably seen as much use as the E-20 and JVC combined.
    That 5-year warranty should cover any defects or operational flaws. If they can't repair it or replace it with one that works to your satisfaction, you should have some recourse to get a different machine on equal value. I'd have a close look at that warranty paperwork, and then start to pressure the retailer you got it from to make it right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    My good old E-10 still works like day 1 and it has probably seen as much use as the E-20 and JVC combined.
    Ha-Ha my son has my Panasonic E20 and it is a work horse. Construction of his room created a dust and floor sanding debris condition. His machine got it bad, yet after cleaning the machine off it continues to work fine. It still has the black level bug but he doesn't care.

The reason I have 2 JVCs is because I bought one for him, but he doesn't want it. He likes his little work horse, so I use my 2nd JVC for backup in case one goes bad.
    Quote Quote  
  18. One more thing... has anyone called JVC tech support or service about these problems? By now they should be aware of them if they are that widespread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One more thing... has anyone called JVC tech support or service about these problems? By now they should be aware of them if they are that widespread.
    I did, when the LOADING issue first happened. That's why I took it in for service. I've had no problem since.
    Quote Quote  
  20. As far as another machine what choices are there? For me with almost 200 RAM discs 75% double sided anything but something RAM capable is out of the question. That leaves 3 choices, the Toshiba won't record from HBO/Cinemax since they went to copy once encryption, so that's not an option. I tried an E-55 and just running my satellite signal through the machine made my 4DTV look like Dish Network, once again not an option. So that leaves one machine or no machine. If I could just get a refund I would. I got burned like this twice before buying returned stuff from the same store, guess I'm a slow learner. As far as getting it repaired, the place they send stuff couldn't even find anything wrong with the last one that went into loading at least half of the time I used it, so I don't think I've got a prayer of them fixing this one. I don't think it's defective myself, I look at recordings out of the other 2 I used before this one and they all look the same. I think I'll try moving it to a different room and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  21. sami, I'm not trying to badger you. I have also had many frustrations with gear that doesn't work right or has some small annoyance. I hope you can get it to work well enough for you to be happy... my suggestions to others that they consider getting the JVC DVD recorder are based strictly on my personal experiences and observations, and are not scientific or definitive in any way. In any case, it sure blows away the computer capturing method...
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't feel badgered, just frustrated. I know everyone here likes to put down the Panasonics, but I never had any issues with either one till the E-20 died. Even if the JVC does work in another room it won't make any difference since both of my satellite receivers are in the room it's in now and I can't move them.
    Quote Quote  
  23. OK - I just had a -RW totally crap out on me while I was recording, and I got the LOADING message. Actually, what I did was stop recording a couple of minutes into the project to adjust something and start over... It seemed to have a bit of trouble with that command (it sort of froze up on me) and then the LOADING message came up (maybe a bad spot on the disc?)

I unplugged the JVC, let it cycle, then it said my disc was bad. I thought the JVC was screwing up, but the -RW will not work with my two DVD readers in my computer, either. I can't even re-format it. It is a Memorex I've used many times, and it does have some visible wear and tear (light scratches, etc.)

I put another Memorex -RW in the JVC that I know is in better shape, and it seems to be working just fine now. So, I'm officially in the LOADING message club now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had a TDK die too. These RW media just go bad on you, the phase change materials don't last real well.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I had the machine split a recording into 2 different titles with a gap in between the 2 parts a few days ago, don't know if it was the disc or the recorder. I wasn't watching the recording, which was a timer record, but I think it might have gone into loading in the middle of the recording. If it was a bad disc, it's the first problem I've had with a Prodisc in almost 1000 of them.
    Quote Quote  
  26. OK since no one else sees these lines I tried a couple of things today. I moved the JVC about 3 feet away from the satellite receivers, didn't make any difference. I also tried hooking a DVD player to it thinking maybe it just didn't like satellites, lines still there with the DVD player too. I've decided to cancel the 5-year warranty and at least get back $100 of what I've got in it, no sense in having a warranty on a machine I don't really care for anyway. If it dies it's time to try the Toshiba. I've never liked the quality of Toshiba products, but the people that own the machine have nothing but good things to say about it, including that it's better than the JVC.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I have been a member of the loading and power crapping out club for some time and I think it is a combo of media going bad and the power setting, cause it only happens to me after one of those 2 happens

I have used the same 25 DVD-RW since I got this machine in late May and I think they are just slowly dying because each one starts the same way the loading screen will come up and then when I unplug the machine and boot it back up I can record again but never finalize, I can reformat but still never finalize so to me the disc is dead

Its annoying as hell but I think its part of the game, I am about to upgrade my other 2 VCR's to SVHS in the other rooms as backup though because this week I have lost too many episodes that are putting some sets on hold and the eps wont reair for at least 2-3 months
    Quote Quote  
  28. So much for getting 1,000 recordings out of each -RW...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So much for getting 1,000 recordings out of each -RW...
    Now that's marketing BS!
    I've had quite a few of my DVD+RW die recently. Spots appeared on them. Only have one DVD-RW go "bad", but a computer hard full reformat may give it a second life.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Use RAMs, I've used some of my RAM discs many, many times and they still work fine.
    Quote Quote