VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Finally got brave enough to Dub my first DVD. Used the units front I-link to connect my D8 Sony Camcorder. Copied my 21-minute AVI file to a 1X Maxell DVD-RW, finalized it anod boom, it played on the JVC and on my older, Sharp, standalone DVD PLayer (Sharp DV-650). The disk studdered for a few seconds at the beginning then played flawlessly.

Being encouraged, I then dubbed the same 21-minute AVI file to the JVC DR-M10S onto a 4X TDK DVD-R, and finalized it. Played back just fine on my JVC: however, the Sharp DVD PLayer would continue to kick the disk back out--it never would load or play.

You guys have been great in the past with helping us new guys. so here are my questions.

1. Would the difference in DVD recording speeds (1X DVD-RW compared to the 4X TDK DVD-R) account for why the finalized DVD-R would not play in the Sharp DVD player--even though the DR0M10S played it back just fine?

2. Under the DV Dubbing Menu, Audio Tab, I selected Autio 1, but could not fine an explanation on just what is "Audio-1, Audio-2, or Mix."

3. Should I return my 4X "Compatible" TDK DVD-R's and try and find just 1X speeds.

4. Recprding Mode Selection. I selected XP as the recording mode even though I only had 21 minutes of AVI to copy. Would have selecting 60 minutes of "Free Rate" been a better choice for final quality? It was difficult to determing the short description in the manual. One could assume that if I selected the FR rate, it would have used up the entire 60 minutes on the DVD rather that just 21. Am I wrong (again)?

Well, I am stumpped until one of you can suggest--if it is that obvious, why the DVD-RW played back fine in both thr DVR and the Sharp, while the DVD-R only played back in the JVC and NOT in the Sharp.

Hope to hear from the "great" ones on this forum soon>

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. No. All the media is written at 1x by a recorder. Realtime. Question invalid. Be sure to use DVD VIDEO mode not VR mode.

2. I don't know.

3. No. Use the TDKs. You won't find 1x media, and the 4x are better. Worry about quality, not speed.

4. FR at 25, 60, 120 ... all would have been fine. The 0-60 range is best of them, as it's a superbit settings.

(5.) Did you finalize that DVD-R ??
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I did Finalize the DVD-R, just checked the menu (Utility=Finalize... and got the Red circle with the slash thru it ( the no can do symbol)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Lordsmurf: Just a little followup to my tiny challenge. Last night I took both recorded DVD's (the -R and the -RW) to my son's house to see if they would play on his older Panny DVD player.

Put the TKD DVD-RW in first, got a message along the lines of, "...this kind of disc does not play in this unit." Not the exact words but the same meaning. Took it out and inserted the TKD DVD-R. It fired right up and played just fine.

On a hunch, I reinserted the -RW and this time it played! Ya gotta remember, this is my first experience with "homemade" DVD's.

Anyway, there is one thing common to both older DVD Players I used with these homemade DVD's: It seems to take just a little bit longer for these DVD Players to get ready to start the DVD (spin up?).

There was one other point I picked up reading these informative forums and that is with respect to making coasters. For a new fella, it is still overwhelming to figure out just how must time and space an AVI file might take when you finally burn it to a recordable DVD. Well, this one fella said, "just burn it to a DVD-RW FIRST, thenand check out the quality.

I read these forums almost daily and can always find out something new.
    Appreciate all who contrubute!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-RW has about a 60% compatiblity rating with DVD players. Not good. DVD-R is about 90-95%
    Quote Quote  
  6. I had some media problems with my JVC -

So far:
    Fuji 1x "for Movies" DVD-R's worked great (came in a 6 pack with DVD cases from FRY's)
    Fuji 8x didn't work in any other player - though the recorder would play some of them - a waste of $50 (came in a spindle of 50 from FRYs)
    Maxell DVD-R (no speed listed)worked great (came in a 15 pack from wal-mart)
    Panasonic DVD-R (no speed listed) worked great (came in 10 packs in thin CD cases from Frys for $4.90 per 10 pack)
    I also tried some memorex DVD-RW's which worked great in the JVC but as you've found, they aren't that compatible with DVD Players.

Note to LordSmurf: thanks for your coverage of the JVC- it helped narrow down my search and undoubtably steered me away from some other units with known problems.
    -Jack
    Quote Quote  
  7. What other units have more problems than the JVC? Must be some really bad recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    1. No. All the media is written at 1x by a recorder. Realtime. Question invalid. Be sure to use DVD VIDEO mode not VR mode.

3. No. Use the TDKs. You won't find 1x media, and the 4x are better. Worry about quality, not speed.

1. Media is not necessary written at 1X by a recorder. For example, in order to support "simultaneous play and recording", the recorder has to write faster than 1X. When copying from HD to DVD, most recorder records faster than 1X.

3. DVD-R/RW disk produced by different manufacture have different properties. The firmware of DVD drive have different write strategy table for different disk type. If the disk is not supported, the DVD driver will use a default strategy. One of the main reason that the famous brand disk performs better is that it is supported by most drive. However, if the disk type is new and they are not supported, the performance may not be that good.

Of course, the player plays an important role also. If the player is good, it can read those disk not written in optimal condition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ckwok1
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf

1. Media is not necessary written at 1X by a recorder. For example, in order to support "simultaneous play and recording", the recorder has to write faster than 1X. When copying from HD to DVD, most recorder records faster than 1X.

3. DVD-R/RW disk produced by different manufacture have different properties. The firmware of DVD drive have different write strategy table for different disk type. If the disk is not supported, the DVD driver will use a default strategy. One of the main reason that the famous brand disk performs better is that it is supported by most drive. However, if the disk type is new and they are not supported, the performance may not be that good.

Of course, the player plays an important role also. If the player is good, it can read those disk not written in optimal condition.
    For #1, this is how the JVC is. Period.
    For #3, I know that. The questions was on TDK media.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by basementjack
    I had some media problems with my JVC -

So far:
    Fuji 1x "for Movies" DVD-R's worked great (came in a 6 pack with DVD cases from FRY's)
    Fuji 8x didn't work in any other player - though the recorder would play some of them - a waste of $50 (came in a spindle of 50 from FRYs)
    Panasonic DVD-R (no speed listed) worked great (came in 10 packs in thin CD cases from Frys for $4.90 per 10 pack)
    I also tried some memorex DVD-RW's which worked great in the JVC but as you've found, they aren't that compatible with DVD Players.
    It is better to stay with 1X or 2X DVD-RW, and 1X, 2X or 4X DVD-R due to the reason I described above.
    Quote Quote  
  11. DVD-R's are the most backwards compatible with standalone DVD players. DVD-RW's are relatively new, so most older players will not read them. Very few players will read VR mode recordings... DVD-Video is the standard format.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a 5 1/2 year old Panasonic player that plays RWs, it takes a couple of tries to get them to scan once in awhile, but they work. So some older players do play them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Audio 2 is used for TV capture of SAP from what I heard.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is correct, this machine will do 2 audio tracks from the tuner, regular and SAP. Haven't tried this function because my Spanish is a bit rusty, but would be interested to see how it does the job.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ckwok1
    Originally Posted by basementjack
    I had some media problems with my JVC -

So far:
    It is better to stay with 1X or 2X DVD-RW, and 1X, 2X or 4X DVD-R due to the reason I described above.

I used 8X Prodiscs and they work fine in everything.
    Quote Quote