VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I´ve been converting DivX and XVid to mpeg-2 using TMPGEnc Plus and I´ve noticed that the final video has a lack of fluidness that is present in the original.

I understand that motion search precision is the core of TMPGEnc and (I think) a very important factor when it comes to maintain an accurate motion in the video so I´ve even tried High Quality (slow) setting - which takes ages to finish...

What other factors can influence this particular issue of fluid motion?

Maybe it´s important to say that the original video is 23.976 fps and I´m converting it to 25 fps.

Regards

J
    Quote Quote  
  2. Whenever you start converting between different framerates, you introduce the possibility of having "issues", fluidity is one of them. If possible, leave the framerate the same as the original.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are your conversion steps? Are you following a guide?
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Its best to change the avi to 25fps before encoding,check my guide here to do that,it will be fluid motion doing it this way.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Motion search precision has nothing to do with overall motion smoothness. It deals with motion of small blocks between frames.

The proper way to convert 23.976 fps NTSC to 25 fps PAL is simply to change the frame rate in the header of the AVI file to 25 fps. That will leave you with a 25 fps AVI file but the audio will be out of sync. So you extract the audio as WAV and reduce it's playing time by about 4 percent so that it's length now matches the video in the AVI. Finally take the video from the AVI and the audio from the WAV and convert them to MPEG.

Check the guides for NTSC to PAL conversions to get all the details...
    Quote Quote