VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ok i have this mpeg file that is 4:3 and on my 16:9 tv it looks awfull because de image is streched, so i would like to know if theres a better way to encode it in Tmpgenc so that it will look better in my 16:9 tv

thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Put your TV into 4:3 mode not 16:9, then the mpeg won't look stretched.
    Quote Quote  
  3. dont you say
    yeah i know about that its just that i dont like to use the 4:3 mode because of the black bars it creates
    Quote Quote  
  4. 16:9 TVs were made with widescreen movies in mind...
    Quote Quote  
  5. On my WS TV, my 4:3 mpegs have vertical black bars. You are saying you don't like these?
    Open TMPGEnc and open your source file, and unlock the "Settings"
    First use Settings->Advanced->Clip Frame(checked)
    Then double click Clip Frame and change top and bottom values to crop to 16:9
    Then set "source video" to 4:3 (PAL/NTSC ?)and "video arrange" full screen keep aspect ratio
    Then go to Video Tab and set "aspect ratio" to 16:9 (PAL/NTSC ?)

This makes an anamorphic mpeg that will (when your TV is on 16:9 mode) fill the whole screen - although, of course, you lose the top/bottom of your original movie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ember on 2001-11-25 19:50:55 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  6. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-11-25 18:18:58, GajoTNT wrote:
    dont you say
    yeah i know about that its just that i dont like to use the 4:3 mode because of the black bars it creates
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

The black bars are as good as its going to get. Unless you stretch the 4:3 to fit the full width of the 16:9 and cut off the top and bottom, which would look terrible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you really hate those vertical black bars, add some silver drapes at the side to simulate the silver panels of a standard 4:3 TV.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ember on 2001-11-25 19:57:39 ]</font>
    Quote Quote