VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I dont understand this in this guide on doom9 http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/vcd2divx.htm
    asks u to convert DAT to MPG. Doesnt VirtualDub already accept DAT files then whats the sense behind conversion. Moreover when I converted a few clips from DAT-->MPG one of the MPG files had some error in audio stream and thus the file couldnt be reencoded I just used the original DAT file in VirtualDub to reencode and it worked just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A DAT is not an MPEG.
    A DAT is an MPEG with other data attached.
    This other data can cause problems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Lordsmurfs right. Dat is a container for the vcd spec. The authoring program makes the videocd (or svcd) structure so that the player can read it as a vcd. It's the same way when a dvd authoring program makes a dvd structure from an mpg. It creates the video_ts folder with the vobs/ifos/bups that the dvd player needs to know that it IS a dvd.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. But then when VirtualDub loads the dat file and converts to AVI directly then why do we need to convert it using VCD Gear at all. Is there a change in quality or something if u use a DAT file as source directly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You are MUCH less likely to get pic decoding or audio sync errors on your output file from VDub if you extract the *.MPG from the *.DAT 1st. The extra RIFF headers just confuse the (many) programs.

Use VCDGear, VCDEasy etc.

Sometimes you'll find using a *.DAT may work, but I wouldn't count on it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for clarifying
    Quote Quote