VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK so i have these short video clips that i am supposed to put on a DVD for easy viewing at a film festival.
    I get film 1 on DV and DVD, film 2 on DV and film 3 i will get tomorrow (DV or DVD).

The DVD (or possibly SVCD, if i cant find a DVD burner) will be shown on a big screen with a Sony projector using a panasonic DVD player.

I probably have a lot of questions about this, but let me take them step by step.

First. Do you think the video on the DV will be interlaced when delivered? I have watched it, and it doesnt look like it is. Is there any software that can check this for me?
    I mean, since interlacing serves a purpose....
    Suppose the videos aren't interlaced. Am i gonna want to make the DVD (or SVCD) interlaced? If so, is it done in the rendering stage in Vegas, or can a burner program do it automagically?

peace
    Quote Quote  
  2. To make the so called "CDVD" that I mentioned in your other post, all you have to do is import your mp2 (audio) and m2v (video) files into GUI for DVD Author (its a great free! program). It will let you create the menus ect. When you import your files you will have to select the video first and then the audio. Then click Create DVD and it will create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders. If they are more than 700 MB, open the VIDEO_TS.ifo in DVD Shrink. Then got to edit, preferences, Target DVD Size and select custom. Put in 700 MB. Then go okay and click backup. This will create a new folder of vob and ifo files. They should be less than 700 MB. Now, make a new data cd with your favorite burning software (there's plenty free ones in the tools section) and make 2 folders, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Then drag all the files from the output folder of DVD Shrink into your VIDEO_TS folder and burn. That's it!
    If you have any other questions, just ask!
    Garibaldi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sybariten
    First. Do you think the video on the DV will be interlaced when delivered? I have watched it, and it doesnt look like it is. Is there any software that can check this for me?
    If you're sure it's DV AVI (you can check with AVICodec - look for the fourCC code "dvsd"), then I strongly believe that it'll be interlaced and is usually with the lower field first.

I don't know of any software that tells you whether it's interlaced or not. If, when encoding, you get the field order the wrong way around you'll know because the video playback will have what's called "comb effect" - alternate horizontal lines look displayed because they're displayed first when they should be last.

As DV is interlaced, your last question is of no concern to you.

Hope that helps...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by daamon
    If you're sure it's DV AVI (you can check with AVICodec - look for the fourCC code "dvsd"), then I strongly believe that it'll be interlaced and is usually with the lower field first.

I don't know of any software that tells you whether it's interlaced or not. If, when encoding, you get the field order the wrong way around you'll know because the video playback will have what's called "comb effect" - alternate horizontal lines look displayed because they're displayed first when they should be last.

As DV is interlaced, your last question is of no concern to you.

Hope that helps...
    OK, but if it is interlaced.... isnt that gonna be a problem? Considering now, that i am gonna use a projector.
    The way i see it, interlacing is there only for TV purposes, as the material is gonna be shown with alternating fields. All other viewing methods, including computer screen and video projector, uses full progressive screens and the video stream should not be sliced up into interlace fields.
    Or, am i wrong? Does the projector use interlacing ?

peace
    Quote Quote  
  5. If the source is interlaced, encode it as interlaced. If it is going to be displayed on a none interlaced device, let the projector/dvd-player/PC do the neccessary de-interlacing, it will do a much better job than you or a piece of software ever could.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sybariten
    The way i see it, interlacing is there only for TV purposes, as the material is gonna be shown with alternating fields. All other viewing methods, including computer screen and video projector, uses full progressive screens and the video stream should not be sliced up into interlace fields.
    You're right, but bugster has hit the nail on the head...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote