VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I have looked in the converter section and can't seem to find one..Can anyone suggest a good simple program that will capture a phot from a dvd or such type of video ?Thank you

Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Dvd software like powerdvd has a screen shot abiltiy built in. For powerdvd there is a little camer icon that will save it to .bmp format.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

3. I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?

Search Comp PM
    NO , use media player classic, powerDVD , winDVD, or virtualdubMOD to capture a frame off a dvd ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scustalow
    I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?
    Hello,

Not sure, never used it. But if it's an unencrypted file (not dvd vob) then you could always just do alt+prnt screen in windows, then paste it into ms paint.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?
    Hello,

Not sure, never used it. But if it's an unencrypted file (not dvd vob) then you could always just do alt+prnt screen in windows, then paste it into ms paint.

Kevin
    doesnt ussually work as video is played in a overlay ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

7. will this work with a asf file too?

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Hello,

Kevin
    And then click Advanced in the performance options and turn off overlays and it works fine..

Alan

9. If I use VD and I have a file that is about 2 minutes long but only want to catch something evert 2 secs how do I set that up?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by impie
    If I use VD and I have a file that is about 2 minutes long but only want to catch something evert 2 secs how do I set that up?
    thats something different ..

just set the in and out points ..

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alan69
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    Hello,

Kevin
    And then click Advanced in the performance options and turn off overlays and it works fine..

Alan

doesnt always work on some systems

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the PowerDVD photo icon but nothing happened!

Is there more to it than just pressing the icon on a particular frame i want captured?

Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Check the settings in powerdvd. Maybe you saved the file in a different directory. Make sure you know where it's going and try it again.

Kevin

14. By default I believe PowerDVD captures to the clipboard. Be sure to set the option to save to a file and specify the "save to" directory.

-drj
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin

15. PowerDVD captures to the PowerDVD directory.

16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to capture a pic with windows media player then go to control panel/display/settings/advanced/troubleshooting and turn down hardware acceleration to none and then press Prt Scrn on your keyboard and paste from paint.You can also paste the capture from powerdvd this way also if you didnt change the options to save in a folder.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.

17. well u can try vcd cutter also.also u can try the print screen + ms paint option just do so by settingur hardware acceleration zero because for movie files print screen doesn't work properly for full hardware acc.

18. The best way is as suggested by BJ_M.

Use software line "WinDVD", "PowerDVD" and like. Play you file and select the capture command on the frame you want to capture. By default these software capture to clipboard. This can be easily changed to save the frame to a file. If you want to save frames continously you have to use some good mpeg editor software like "TMPGEnc MPEG Editor".

19. I hope this doesn't take this post off topic, but I'd like to capture multiple images from a file.

For example, if I have a 10 minute home DVD on disk and want to capture an image, for example every second or every 20 frames (or what ever I define), is there any software that can do this automatically with out the need to keep clicking a capture button?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards,

Mark J.

Search Comp PM
    you can do this automatic using v-dub and use decimate and save to images ...

set your in and out points first ..

21. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    you can do this automatic using v-dub and use decimate and save to images ...

set your in and out points first ..
    Thanks for that - I'll look into it.

Looked into it and it works a treat - thanks again

Search Comp PM
    ImageGrab from the tools section has some merit too. But for DVDs I'd stick to WinDVD etc.
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!

23. If this is not an Encyrpted DVD, you can use Mpeg Video Wizard, and load the .vobs in and capture still pictures. You can chose to save them as .jpeg's, .bmp's and .mpeg's. I suggest choosing .bmp, and do whatever editing you want to the picture in picture editor and then when you have it the way you want it, then save the picture as a .jpeg. I like using Mpeg Video Wizard for extracting picture, it gets right down to the frame by frame accurance, that is sometimes quite useful. It also is easy to create a folder for the pictures to be put in.

24. If you want to take the time to rip the VOB from a DVD you can also use TMPGenc or VirtualDubMod. Load the VOB using BROWSE into the video input for TMPGenc, go to ADVANCED SETTINGS -> SOURCE RANGE, choose one frame or a group of frames, -> FILE -> TOOLS -> SAVE AS -> BMP. You can then convert the BMP(s) into JPG using Photoshop.

Same basic procedure with VDubMod. Except use HOME to choose start and END to choose finish of the section you want to convert to photos.

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just open the vob you want the snap from using vobedit , goto file , hit preview in list , and use mwsnap to take a snapshot of what is in the window .

Mwsnap is one of the best freeware tool's everyone should have .

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Talking about screen captures, i want to advise you to use good program, wich can take Video screen captures from windows screen. It allows you to record screen to avi, asf, wmv. So this very useful tool for creating presentations, demos, video tutorials etc.
    Good Luck!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Snow_
    Talking about screen captures, i want to advise you to use good program, wich can take Video screen captures from windows screen. It allows you to record screen to avi, asf, wmv. So this very useful tool for creating presentations, demos, video tutorials etc.
    Good Luck!
    Interesting indeed - would you like to share the name of such an application with the rest of the world, or is it a well kept secret? :P

/Mats

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Originally Posted by _Snow_
    Good Luck!
    Interesting indeed - would you like to share the name of such an application with the rest of the world, or is it a well kept secret? :P

/Mats
    Best "do it all" capture I've seen or tried is from Snagit.

www.techsmith.com Snagit. There capture proggy does it all.... makes tutorial videos of the desktop, timed captures in any format and any resolution It's a free trial for 30 days and $19.95 to buy I believe. Execelent proggy. Can capture on a timer from ANY source
    at any value you want up to 1 per second.

Power DVD and Win DVD are nice that they allow format choice and size but no timed caps and wont work on all types of media.
    With Snagit you can do some really cool stuff.
    I'ma swimmin it the cement pond if'n you want me!

Search Comp PM
    Wasn't actually interested in the issue as such - just amused by how _Snow_ is really enthusiastic about his/her discovery, but forgets to name it.
    Thanks anyway.

/Mats

30. Can you only save them as a BMP image? is the quality of BMP alot worse then JPG?
    thanks