VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, you can actually do a screen capture from windows media player using Hypersnap-DX.
    Make sure the following setting is set when you want to do the screen shot.
    under "Capture"---> "enabled special capture" --> make sure to tick all boxes.
    then use "scroll lock" to capture the screenshot

2. Capture Professional screen capture software can capture images from many media player applications. The fundamental issue is that most of these applications use DirectX overlays, which only render when the windows display has black pixlels beneath the overlay. This is why the print screen key and many other screen capture applications capture black areas instead of the intended video. Capture Professional queries each application for its overlays and extracts them. You will want to use the DirectX screen capture operation (default hotkey - CTRL + SHIFT + X) to capture these overlays. A 30 day trial is available.

Capture Professional can also be capture video from a playing video using the Include DirectX Surfaces... option and any other screen capture operation. Using this option while capturing video may result in a large number of dropped frames due to the amount of time required to capture each individual video frame.

You may also get some results by disabling all video acceleration which may eliminate the overlay usage. However, playback may be bad and this option may not work/be available for all media player applications.

There may be legal issues using captured copyrighted materials.

3. what did you mean ? just capture a image from a video?
    i am using ACA PRO ,it can capture anything on your screen including all kind of video.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi new to the forum...back to the topic.

option1::When capturing image from DVD's I use PowerDVD. I have one problem though I can't seem to find the clipboard (or wherever it stores the images once you start clicking). What I do is I paste each image to MSpaint.. Troublesome..Anyway, someone point the way please...

option2::
    I vote for Image Grab. It's very easy to use. Go to the website to learn more about it. The intsructions are newbie friendly. Oh the program is available on Tools section, click here >>ImageGrab(>_<)

option3::I read in here that you can use Windows Movie Maker. Never tried it though. Check it out.

5. The quality of BMP is good, but also the file size is also... wah

6. please help, my PowerDVD does not do the capture thing, i have the camera picture, but when i click on it the word, "capture" appears on the video screen, but nothing happens, I right cliked on the camera icon, and it has options, there that i tryed to reselect, but it still doesn't do anything, why?

Search Comp PM
    I think PowerDVD captures to the clipboard? Capture, open Paint or other gfx edotor, and Paste.

/Mats

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    I think PowerDVD captures to the clipboard? Capture, open Paint or other gfx edotor, and Paste.

/Mats
    That sir is correct. However, be warned that the capture may not be of the correct aspect ratio (16:9 on my copy of PowerDVD 4 captures at 4:3, forcing me to stretch it after I paste it into Irfanview).

Search PM
    If you open the configuration in PowerDVD go to general>advanced>capture .... you can select how the captured image is handled, either to the clipboard or a file. You can also selct the aspect, the reson your the aspect is incorrect is because it's sizing it according to the video resolution. 16:9 and 4:3 both use the same resolution for DVD.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    THANX GUYS!!!...each and every post is sooo useful!

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can use moviesnapshot download it for free using google search

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    How to convert a DVD, VOB, AVI, MKV, MP4, etc to an image sequence using VirtualdubMod

1. Open the video. If a DVD open the first 1GB VOB file(rip it first with for example dvdfab decrypter).
    2. If you don't want all frames change the FrameRate under Video->FrameRate and change under Frame rate conversion to for example Decimate by: 100 to save every 100 frame.
    3. File->Save Image Sequence.
    4. If a DVD, open the rest of the VOB files and coooooooooonvert!
    Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    That can be done with VirtualDubMod.
    Have it reduce frame rate to whatever (0.1 frames/sec in your example) and save as image sequence.

/Mats
    Using VirtualDubMOD's (or VirtualDub-MPEG2) to save image sequences is a process I'm using for several file types and I love it. I am having my issues with VOB files though - the aspect ratio of the saved images is screwed up. I can get the program to open and preview the DVD files correctly (using the setting under preferences) but the saved images themselves do not have the correct dimensions.

Is there any way to do get images with the correct aspect ratio without ripping the files from the DVD first? Using a filter or some setting?

Thanks.

Search PM
    The resolution and aspect do not match, for example 720x480 is a valid resolution for 16:9 and 4:3. I don't use Virtualdub that much but it's probably giving you image sizes that are the same as the resolution. Use a batch image resizing tool like irfanview to resize them.

Search Comp PM
    They should look OK if you use the resize filter (Lanczos3) in VDub to the correct AR (4:3 or 16:9)

/Mats

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks thecoalman and mats.hogberg.

Since I'm trying to avoid an extra step/tool, I've tried using the resize filter and that seems to work. Thanks a lot.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the version of Realplayer I have is 10.5 and it is said it dose screen shots but I can't find the tool/ itcon any where.

and I can't seem to download the Power Dvd softwear.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't have time to see if anyone recommended this or not, but VLC has a capture that is pretty good.
    Holler me answers on yahoo messenger would ya?

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi There..

In a previous post on this thread, Johns0 says:
    "If you want to capture a pic with windows media player then go to control panel/display/settings/advanced/troubleshooting and turn down hardware acceleration to none and then press Prt Scrn on your keyboard and paste from paint"

Why do I have to set the HW acceleration to none? how does the HW acceleration effect a screen capture on windows media player?

thanks

Search Comp PM
    Hardware accelerated video is diplayed using overlay, which can't be captured using Print Screen.

/Mats

20. Thnaks for the advise. Most helpful indeed.

KCAir

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks indeed

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a bit of trouble learning how to save a single particular frame into an image. I have tried VirtualDub and it works great for saving the entire video into screenshots, but there doesn't seem to be a feature to save a single frame. The easiest way I have achieved this is to manually delete every last frame that isn't the one I want. There has to be an easier way!

I tried other suggested programs like Media Player Classic and it works great for saving particular frames, but there doesn't seem to be any ability to look through a video frame by frame like you can in VirtualDub. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

23. Originally Posted by Seph
    I'm having a bit of trouble learning how to save a single particular frame into an image. I have tried VirtualDub and it works great for saving the entire video into screenshots, but there doesn't seem to be a feature to save a single frame. The easiest way I have achieved this is to manually delete every last frame that isn't the one I want. There has to be an easier way!

I tried other suggested programs like Media Player Classic and it works great for saving particular frames, but there doesn't seem to be any ability to look through a video frame by frame like you can in VirtualDub. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks!
    For MPC, you can go frame by frame by hitting pause (or spacebar) then advancing with the arrow keys, and then take your screenshot of your frame

Another useful too that is similar to VirtualDub is AviDemux which allows you to advance (and save image) frame by frame

24. Originally Posted by Seph
    There is. Go to the frame you want, click "Video", then "Copy Source Frame to clipboard". Then open your favorite graphics editor (or even MS Paint) and Edit/Paste.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    There is. Go to the frame you want, click "Video", then "Copy Source Frame to clipboard". Then open your favorite graphics editor (or even MS Paint) and Edit/Paste.
    That's exactly what I wanted! Thank you so much! ^_^

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason or another it doesn't seem to decode these new MKV files that well. Anything else that might be better than VirtualDubMod for that? I tried that AviDemux, but I couldn't get it to do what I wanted. It says that the file is H264 and that it won't be able to render all the frames accurately. Why not? It also asks to build some kind of index. I never thought it could be this difficult!

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any ideas?

28. One of my most popular websites is a gallery of screen captures. I've just begun buying Blu-ray discs and have an LG combo drive, and I need to find a way to get screen captures from Blu-ray discs. The basic question is how can it be done?

I assume I will probably have to rip the disc and get into the files themselves to get a full-res full-size capture, so it won't be as easy as pressing a key.

I'm also willing to settle for lower resolution captures, just as long as I get something.

I've run across news stories (circa July 2006) about an OEM version of WinDVD that was able to get screen caps of high def discs, until they released a patched version that no longer allowed it, but I've been unable to find out which version, let alone find a copy.

Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated.
    Steven Hill at http://shillpages.com

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With Vista, a 'quick and dirty' way to 'capture' a photo playing on your computer monitor is to pause the video and use Vista's 'Snipping Tool' to frame the portion you want as your still. Snipping Tool allows you to Copy the snip, or Save it as either JPG, GIF, or PNG. Really handy.
    John Hanley
    Sugar Land, TX

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any ideas about capturing full-res stills from a Blue-ray disc?

Originally Posted by shill66
    One of my most popular websites is a gallery of screen captures. I've just begun buying Blu-ray discs and have an LG combo drive, and I need to find a way to get screen captures from Blu-ray discs. The basic question is how can it be done?
    Harold Blackorby
    St. Louis, MO