VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by someonesomewhere121
    Can you only save them as a BMP image? is the quality of BMP alot worse then JPG?
    thanks
    BMP is actually a lot better quality-wise than JPG because it is less compressed than JPG. Less compression naturally means a bigger file size though.
    If in doubt, Google it.

2. is DV the best format from which to capture pictures from? My DV is really good but the pictures i get are sort of blurry, it it better to get them from AVI format?

thanks

Search PM
    DV is AVI already
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    BMP is better than JPG, since jpg uses a lossy compresion schem (like mpg) - bmp is uncompressed.

/Mats

5. I read somewhere something like the images you get off a video as still pictures can never be really good anyway? is that the case? All my photos from frames are a bit blurry

Search Comp PM
    True - to some extent. DVD video frames are 720 * 576 at best - far from good for printing. Fine for TV display, but that's it. OTOH, that's what it's intended for, so you can't really complain

/Mats

7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How to convert a DVD, VOB, AVI, MKV, MP4, etc to an image sequence using VirtualdubMod

1. Open the video. If a DVD open the first 1GB VOB file(rip it first with for example dvdfab decrypter).
    2. If you don't want all frames change the FrameRate under Video->FrameRate and change under Frame rate conversion to for example Decimate by: 100 to save every 100 frame.
    3. File->Save Image Sequence.
    4. If a DVD, open the rest of the VOB files and coooooooooonvert!

Search Comp PM
    BMP is always better than JPG not worse
    This is because a BMP is uncompresed while a JPG can be compressed

BUT MY FAVORITE METHOD is SO SIMPLE:
    Just pause the player on the still you wanna capture..POWER DVD's Photo Icon will produce a still while you are paused so you can get just the frame intended.

No setting in and out points. Just cue up the shot and adjust the capture setting to capture to a file (not the clipboard) and you can make sequences or what have you

Search Comp PM
    I have used Nero's Showtime for screen capture, this saves to clipboard and then can be pasted into most applications. Power DVD is ok too.
    Burn Baby Burn!

Search Comp PM
    Take ChrissyBoy's advice and use ImageGrab freeware. Takes less than a minute to download, unzip, view a video or vob and save a frame! If only all software worked for us Newbies like this!

11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by scustalow
    I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?
    hi,
    there some very good answer here.. bottom line there several software that cando that....... and maybe do a lot of things better than my following suggestion.

this answer.. is simple and can work in many of a number of ways....

1. pause at the frame you want...
    2. do a alt+prtscn on the key board... you won't see any thing happen but it has...you just copied the screen to the clipboard..
    3. open your paint program and click paste... the picture will appear and all you need to do is just crop and save as a jpg or some other format..

12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To capture screen shot's of dvd's playing back using screen print or any of those snap tool's like mwsnap .

Right click on desktop , go to properties and locate the display setting's , then locate hardware acceleration .

Bring slider all the way to the left , apply , ok ... now snap away all you like .

Dont forget after you have done taking all your snap's , to reset it back to full acceleration .

13. Along these lines I read some time ago about a program that would take several shots of a still image, presumably from video, and then combine them into a single still of apparently higher quality. The guy writing the article seemed quite impressed with it.

Anybody recall or know of such a program?

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally, I use VLC Media Player to capture images off from movies.

When you open the movie using VLC Media Player, try looking for "Take Snapshot" function, it's somewhere in the tool bars at the top. When you take it, the picture will be saved in the My Pictures directory, or anywhere you choose in Preference.

The picture quality is good, I cant see any difference between movie and image anyway - what I see on the movie when I pause it, is the same quality I see when I look at the output image.

Try VLC Media Player, you might love it

15. Image Grabber II
    http://www45.brinkster.com/antworkz/

Image Grabber II is a free tool that can grab screenshots from
    any video file (avi, mpg, dat, asf, wmv, qt, mov, rm, rmvb, vob)
    and save the screenshot as customized thumbnails to a single
    file or multiple files.
    It runs on Windows platforms using DirectX filters.

/Hubbabub
    Hubba hubba zoot zoot.......... :)

Search PM
    Came across a simple way in Windows Media player..... Pause the movie and hit CRTL-I ....

Search Comp PM
    Another vote for IG II. Very easy to use and makes great contact sheets..

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having problems with cropping using TMPGEnc Plus. I'm using it to make screen caps and after I crop the file using Clip Frame it doesn't stay cropped when I output the sequence as jpg.

When I crop I put it to Keep The Aspect Ratio on Full Screen so the picture doesn't lose shape. Is that what's causing it to not stay cropped?

I'm trying to figure this out so I don't have to crop each screencap myself.

19. Is Print Screen simply not functional because of hardware accelaeration? What happens if you lower the acceleration? Are you supposed to Pause the image first, then lower the accelaration, then capture?

What exactly happerns anyway if you keep the accelration low? Does it playback the DVD slowly?

20. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Originally Posted by scustalow
    I would like to just do a screen capture from windows media player is this possible?
    Hello,

Not sure, never used it. But if it's an unencrypted file (not dvd vob) then you could always just do alt+prnt screen in windows, then paste it into ms paint.

Kevin
    Are normal DVD movies (copyrighted) DVD VOB? If so how do you get around this to capture the images?

Search Comp PM
    Just play the video (DVD or other) using "any" player software - Pause the movie, use the snapshot feature most players provide. That's how hard it is.

/Mats

22. Esentially would I would like to do is navigate through my movie to specific areas of scenes very quickly and take a nice clear snapshot of my DVD movies.

What program can do this quickly and easily, without having to import the DVD into the program and go within VOB's or whatever else....

Just simple location of image and snapshot?

Anyone know of any free programs that do that, or if PowerDVD is the best solution?

23. Originally Posted by mats.hogberg
    Just play the video (DVD or other) using "any" player software - Pause the movie, use the snapshot feature most players provide. That's how hard it is.

/Mats
    Problem is it comes up either BLACK, or a still image that when I open the photo editor and when I drag the image using the up and down arrow in the program (to see the full image), it turns into my windows desktop wallpaper or whatever and freezes that useless snapshot of the desktop....NOT THE actual IMAGE! Why is this happening. Very frustrating.

Search Comp PM
    What app did you use to create the snapshot? PowerDVD has never failed me.

/Mats

25. Well I have Intervideo WinDVD, but it doesn't seem to have the capture option.....

Search Comp PM
    Well then, how did you capture? Print Screen does notwork for capturing overlay video.

/Mats

Search Comp PM
    I believe VideoLan and Media Player Classic will take snapshots.

28. I've tryed that ImageGrabber ... but doesn't works for me. Don't know why.
    I mean it works manually .. but i need to take pics every 10 sec's from the clip,
    so it's really annoying to capture pics manually!
    At least annoying.
    TMPGenc : is at least complicated not to say the 1billion settings!

Id like a simple software no matter the price (inside a resonable 30$) to do this automatically !

Is too much to ask for ? )))
    To cut, or not to cut ... who is the splitter ?

Search Comp PM
    That can be done with VirtualDubMod.
    Have it reduce frame rate to whatever (0.1 frames/sec in your example) and save as image sequence.

/Mats

30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Image Grabber II is amazing and what I needed, but it has a one bug. I have some files VOB I watched on PoverDVD and everything is ok. (film has about 19 min) but when I'm loading this file in Image Grabber II - the film has only 5 or 6 minutes ! Why ? Is this a problem with codecs ? I need to know, because Image Grabber ROOX and I don't want to do it via VirtualDub (I want to have all grabbed pics in one JPG). Please, help :]

EDIT:

Ok, I did it :] Everyone who has the same problem - I'm suggesting You to install ACE Mega CoDecS Pack with Professional Version. It helps me ...
    Multimedia