VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ahhhhhnother fine n00b moment. I am trying to convert an OGM to VOBs,
    for the 1st time- I followed all of the how to instrutions as far as I could get, which is step 2...GSpot indicated I shouldn't have a problem, BUT when I try to open my renamed-to-.avi file in virtualdub, I get an error message: "Cannot detect file type of :"Dinsert path here)\devilssword.avi.ogm" I am more than a little lost here as when I renamed it it doesen't say .ogm in the filename,and why it can't recognise it is beyond me. This is a film with NO subs, just audio and video. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure which guides you used, but the OGMs I have encountered are just XVID with Ogg audio. If you can play them with the proper codecs, you should be able to convert to other formats. General method is to convert the Ogg audio to WAV and process the XVID video through TMPGEnc or similar encoders to the final format, DVD assumed. Things that can mess it up are odd resolutions or framerates or, worst of all corrupt files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. devilssword.avi.ogm

see how your file is named devilsword.avi.ogm?
    that's not good.

to fix this go to my computer
    near the title bar, click on tools | folder options
    click on the view tab
    uncheck the box that says hide file extensions for know file types
    rename the file again

should work now
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks dafreak, THAT part worked, BUT I still get an error msg from Virtual Dub, same thing. Arrrg. what to do? Ordinarily I am fairly good at following directions..Looking at the GSpot again, it says that rendering is fine, and I have played this film with audio working, BUT GSpot tells me I don;t have the
    ogg vorbis 1 codec installed...so I went to freecodecs to dl it and upon clicking on th dl button, I get a page full of very strange looking script..
    so, WTH?
    Quote Quote  
  5. is this the one you dl'ed and installed?

http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0/tobias/OggDS0995.exe

are you using virtualdub or virtualdubmod?
    if you're just using virtualdub, trying installing virtualdubmod.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No it wasn't-but the one I was trying for did not install anyways, just got a pageful of weird script everytime I tried. But I did dl and install the one that you linked to...hope that was what you intended. Checking again (after rebooting) I still get an indicator that I still don't have an audio codec for this installed. Puzzling. The rendering however indicates everything's ok.

I went and installed VDubMod, and now the file will load but I get this:

"Warning: nothing to output, bframe decoder lag" on both screens in vdm.
    Uhmmmmmm...I dunno, that's for sure! NOW what do I do?
    Thanks for helping me sort this out. Really!
    Quote Quote  
  7. well, since you're using vd to extract the audio from the ogm, the frame error shouldn't be a huge deal.

go ahead and extract the audio if you can.

then convert the video using whatever encoder you are using.
    Quote Quote