VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Morning,
    First, I am not exactly certain which forum this post needs to go into. I trust the mod's will move if it is more appropriate for another forum.
    Background:
    I have an old VHS tape that I am converting to DVD. My capture card is the AIW 9600. I have captured the video (with appropriate filters etc) to MPEG2 and am very happy with the results save one item.
    Along the right vertical edge of the video there is this very annoying scalloped noise band or at least I do believe it is a noise band. In either case I would like to get rid of it. Now comes the problem.
    Capturing with AIW MMC it does allow for capturing cropped video which removes this annoying band and I like the results. However, when TDA does not like this file because it is not the usual resolution and rejects it. TDA will accept the original file but I am stuck with the noise band.

Question:
    Is there a method of post capture processing that will allow me to blank out that annoying noise band but not leave me with a black border. I still want full screen display. But I do not want to have the file reencoded and lose some quality in the process.
    I have tried demuxing the original file. Putting it into TmpGenC and then do clipping and resizing but the reencoding leaves me with less than I what I want.
    I have also taken the original file and put it into PS 8 and let it render it to an mpeg but again the quality loss is not satisfactory.

Any helpful ideas?

Ed
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capture your cropped source to AVI. Load the captured file into VirtualDub, center and pad the original frame out to 720x480 with black borders, then frameserve to TMPGEnc and encode to MPEG2.

Or, don't worry about the edge noise as it is more than likely well outside the viewing "safe area"... that is, standard televisions overscan all four edges by 4%-7% (on purpose). It's only when a DVD (or any video source) is played back using a PC monitor that you see the entire frame.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I was going to suggest the same thing actually. However, he already has the MPEG and is looking for a way to mask the noisy area without reencoding (post capture). I don't know of any way to do it without reencoding. If he were to start from scratch then agreed...no doubt the avi route would be the way to go...IMHO. Can something be done with the file header to make it work?
    No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not use the mpeg2 as a source? Get a copy of virtualdubmod (which can use mpeg files) load the mpeg, select filters / null transform and crop then frameserve to tmpgenc, bye bye overscan noise?

Edz
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gshelley61: I understand your process but I did not really want to recapture as AVI then use your process. I was looking for a way to go from my mpg file without reencoding, etc.

babyboo, wingnut: getting a copy of vdubmod i can do very easy (thanks to this site). Then if I understand, load up my source mpeg, select filters null/transfor (these filters keep from reencoding the file?) then go set the clip range (this is inside tmpgenc after frameserving). If so, then how do you keep tmpgenc from reencoding the file?

Thanks,
    Ed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You don't.

It is not possible for you to do what you want to do without re-encoding the video in the process. Why? Because by cropping portions of the picture, you have changed the contents of the video frames, and any time you make changes to the video frames they must be re-encoded.

Your best bet would be to re-capture at the highest-quality AVI or MPEG your hardware allows for, and then crop and reencode from there.
    Quote Quote