VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    This has been a very useful thread, by now stretching to 6 sections. I must confess that I haven't gone more than about halfway through it, although I intend to print it out for easier reference.

It is now painfully clear to me that the Sima CT-200 I bought just won't cut it. Most likely, it never had any tbc functionality. The documentation is non-existent, so there was no way to check. I don't see that it contributes much of anything on xfers, to be perfectly honest. Fortunately, I only paid half-price for it, and that was probably too much.

Onward. In the video-processing arena, what can any of you learned folks tell me about the Faroudja DVP 1000 or the DVDO Iscan Ultra MM504B ? (The latter brought up NO hits at all in keyword searches here.) I expect either of these is probably massive overkill for videotape to dvd xfers, and maybe I'd be better off with one of the Datavideo units ? I'd like to go with something that is effective and not too complicated to set up or use. If it has a more versatile range of applications, that might go a ways toward justifying a higher cost. (Which is why I flagged those two pricier models for your comments.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. does anyone have an opinion on the vidicraft detailer II versus the detailer III?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm soon to be a very newbie in this area so please be gentle with me.

I'm about to build a new computer. I have about 50 hours of video on Hi8 tapes that I want to burn onto DVD. Pretty much a exercise in backing up.

I have intended to buy a Canopus MPEG Pro EMR to capture my video to MPEG2 in "real time".

However, when I stumbled onto this topic I got to thinking whether I needed to "correct" my video prior to capturing. I'm sure my tapes could be better (noise, color etc) and maybe by using a H/W processor prior to capturing I'll get the best result.

I notice many users here mention VCR's and DVD recorders so my assumption (probably wrong) is that the source video is hooked up as an input to a processor, video is viewed on a TV and tweaked, and the enhanced video is recorded back to tape or DVD on a second unit. Do I have that correct?

Assuming that to be the case, I could hook up my Hi8 Camera to a processor as the source, tweak the video and have my MPEG Pro EMR on the output and capture as MPEG 2 directly to my PC for authoring.

Do I have any of this correct?

Is anyone out there doing something like this already?

Am I overkilling here?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It depends on the specific equipment you use. Some processors have a bypass mode so you can switch it out to see the unprocessed image or a split screen mode so you can see both simultaneously, others have neither.

If your camcorder does not have IRE 0 output, you may need a process amplifier to get the correct black level. The MPEG Pro EMR is hardwired to accept only an IRE 0 source. There is a lot of information about this if you go to the Capture Cards tab at the left and search on this device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Vidicraft IVE-100 Stablizer. I got it off ebay. The person I bought it from could not find the adapter All it says on the chassis is 12V .2A. I opened the case and cannot find any Power supply diodes and the outer ring of the jack is ground. Generally an AC input does not have one side grounded. I need to have someone that has one of these units confirm that it is 12VDC and that ground is negative. It does have a voltage regulator (probably for +5VDC) I have over 30 years of professional electronics experience and have learned, NEVER ASSUME anything, always double check and make certain. Also any information about this unit would be appreciated. Like is it a frame or line stabilizer and will it stabilize color. I have very old tapes I am trying to salvage and convert to DVD. Some have the video tearing at the top of the screen. The VCR video stabilizer corrects most of this, but then I get color streaks in the area that was tearing. I have a TBC-1000 but still it is not corrected. If the VITs signal could be completely reproduced correctly, I would think these problems could be eliminated. I don't even know if tapes have the VITs like TV braodcast has.

I also need copies of manuals for these Vidicraft units if anyone has them and can scan them:

IVE-100
    PROC AMP (No model number, has a meter on the left side for luminance level)
    Detailer IV

Thanks,

DB
    Keyboard disconnected, press F1 to continue
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a For-A FA 425 TBC that I use only when necessary, usually when transferring an old ¾ tape to a BetaCam, for restoration purposes. On occasion I will use it when going from a BetaCam to our hard drive to help with sync issues.

I always get two mirrored angled bars that travel across the screen. They are usually subtle and more visible in black areas, but I still can’t help but think there is some way of getting rid of them. Is this a power issue? I have not read about anyone else with this problem, in which case I hope it is easily fixable by some obvious method that slips passed me.

I have attached an image to help illustrate the issue. It is not a screen shot, and the lines are thinned and darkened to exaggerate the problem.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61

My current setup for VHS capture is VCR --> Detailer --> TBC/Proc Amp --> DVD Recorder

I have a JVC SR-W5U VCR, which has the DigiPure processing in addition to a built-in full frame TBC. I use either the Sign Video DR-1000 or a Vidicraft Detailer III for sharpening (...depending on whether I choose the s-video or composite video signal as my source), and run through a Feral A4:2:2 TBC if necessary (for the Proc Amp controls).

If I use a componet output (DVHS vcr --> TBC/Proc Amp --> D/A converter) , then which image enhancer are recommanded other than Prime Image C-Sync?
    It's better if iTBC/Proc Amp function s included.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please recommend models/brands of PAL proc amps that are any good?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CTB-100 (aka AVT-8710)

ACE "Advanced Converter Enhancer" (no longer available)

Edirol VMC-1 (has firewire output!)

All these are NTSC/PAL and have full-frame TBC and proc amp controls. I don't know how available they are. They all do pretty much the same thing.

I have the CTB-100 and the ACE. The ACE is a beautiful device that replaced my CTB-100. I wish I could replace them both with the Edirol unit! Anyone wanna swap?

Otherwise, look out on ebay soon lol!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the advice bourboner. I'd like to avoid quantisation errors due to multiple AD/DA conversions. Can you or anyone else please recommend any proc amps that work in the analogue domain?

Also, does anyone know of any ‘chroma rise time accelerator / bandwidth expanders’ that will work in PAL land? The only one that I’m aware of is the Faroudja VS-50, but the comb filter looks like it’s getting pretty old in the tooth and would certainly not work as well as a more modern comb filter.
    Can a Faroudja line quadruplier be set to do the same thing without scaling the image up or deinterlacing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bourboner
    Edirol VMC-1 (has firewire output!)

All these are NTSC/PAL and have full-frame TBC and proc amp controls. I don't know how available they are. They all do pretty much the same thing.
    Would you happen to know an approx. price on that one ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Anybody knows if "SignVideo CR100 Color Registration Corrector" is analog unit and does not digitize signal?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Seeing as this thread started almost 10 years ago and has been idle for over 4 years, do the initial recommendations for Hardware Video Processors and Filters still hold true today or have things changed a bit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dominik78 View Post
    Seeing as this thread started almost 10 years ago and has been idle for over 4 years, do the initial recommendations for Hardware Video Processors and Filters still hold true today or have things changed a bit?
    Depends what you are trying to do. VHS is what it is: in effect, frozen in time. Your only options there for any proc amp would be limited to RCA vs. S-Video. Assuming that was your area of concern, the info in this thread would still be viable, and you would pretty much be looking for used gear on eBay. That is how I picked up my TBC, Vidicraft Vidimate, and Sima Color Corrector units.

For getting around MV and other copy protections, other threads' discussions here -- even those going back several years -- are likely still valid, with units like the Grex, Zorilla filter, etc. still being on the market, to the best of my knowledge.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  15. That makes a lot of sense, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Reactivating thread.

I was curious if it is still felt that the information here is frozen in time and still relevant from a hardware color correction perspective? I was considering buying a Vidicraft Vidimate VDM300S as part of my VHS to digital project but am curious thoughts on if software color correction has surpassed using hardware correction. Tools like Davinci Resolve or built in color correction in popular NLE tools. Putting aside the fact that hardware based is realtime, curious on opinions of the value of hardware color correction vs today's software tools. Are there things hardware can do software can't? It's my understanding things like heavy red overlays of color across footage can't be corrected in hardware as you need to adjust using two other colors so hardware couldn't correct things in this situation. Also looking at a SignVideo PA-1 but can't tell if it supports S-Video.

Appreciate your input.

JR
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super late to this thread but yes in 2021 I'm doing some explorations into working with all SD hardware and such like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYvcQf6fzk

and yes along the way I've come across bargain stuff and I wanted to ask about Sima Copymaster, Sima Copythis and i've seen some others i've considered getting. Are these kind of products providing a quality enhance or do you really have to be using pro grade gear before "enhance" really has the kind of noticable improvements seen in the above post? I've not done a lot of A/B testined but it seems like the enhancing i've seen is subtle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by part12studios View Post
    Super late to this thread but yes in 2021 I'm doing some explorations into working with all SD hardware and such like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYvcQf6fzk

and yes along the way I've come across bargain stuff and I wanted to ask about Sima Copymaster, Sima Copythis and i've seen some others i've considered getting. Are these kind of products providing a quality enhance or do you really have to be using pro grade gear before "enhance" really has the kind of noticable improvements seen in the above post? I've not done a lot of A/B testined but it seems like the enhancing i've seen is subtle.
    Wasn't Sima Copymaster (and some competing products ?) mainly about defeating Macrovision on VHS ? It's been such a long time since I last would have used those . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea i believe that was a component but for example the copythis has an enhance knob on it. I found one unconventional use for one on my Odyssey 2 which had a composite mod installed. The mod when hooked up to my Extron composite switcher wouldn't display a picture.. basically just black.. but when going directly to the tv it would show a picture.. so the copythis managed to somehow boost the signal so the extron would pick it up.. but aside from that, I wasn't sure if devices like this would do anything.. i was considering yet another sima product that is one of those video mixers.. and it has a few audio volumes but it also has "enhance" on it..

and yes you're right upon closer inspection the knob on the copythis is a "video output signal adjust" which i figured was basically the same thing, but now i'm questioning that.. and the copymaster has no knobs at all so yea that one most likely i imagine simply defeats the copy protection.. but it would make claims of improving the picture, but i don't think that was it's strength without allowing any user adjusting..

[Attachment 60186 - Click to enlarge]

I just wanted to see if a device like this would deliver a respectable enhance effect or if maybe you had to get higher end stuff to get one that made a difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sima Color Corrector (? -- anyway, it's a SCC___ something model) that I bought used, years ago. It's in storage. Have to admit that I never even used it. I was curious about the Vidicraft Vidimate, which I think spawned some cheaper knock-offs around that ime. For serious, pro-level picture enhancement or manipulation, I suspect it might come back to the sort of units I mentioned up top in post #181, like Faroudja. (Pricey !) But that was quite a few years ago, and I don't know what the more recent gear on the market might be. It would be interesting if someone more knowledgeable about these things could update us about that.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    those look interesting.. and you've made me realize.. maybe i have something already.. I have The Extron DVS 204 Digital Video Scaler. This has some whistles and bells.. I wonder if it does any enhancement.. ok.. finds manual.. pulls this up.. but i wonder if this is the same enhancement we're talking about?

[Attachment 60194 - Click to enlarge]

Enhanced (Enh) mode
    When the Enhanced mode is set “On”, automatic gain control of the video input
    signal is enabled. If the input signal level is too weak, the signal gain will be
    increased, and if the input signal level is excessive, the signal gain will be
    decreased

Seems like automatic gain control is bad? like don't we want to adjust? or maybe this is like compression with audio.. something that just helps keep a dynamic video balanced by adjusting faster than the human eye could manage?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE] I capture laserdisc quite a bit. My current setup is the Pioneer CLD-D704 LD player ---> Leitch VPA 331N Proc Amp ---> Vidicraft Detailer III ---> JVC DR-M10S DVD recorder. Subject to change. [/QUOTE]

I also captured LD's. Current chain is Pioneer HLD-X0-EVAL ADV 7842. Soon to cap with Domesday Duplicator. What do you use for a 2/3D comb filter?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have a couple of TBC.. would these provide leitch 575 and 235 TBC.. I'm always interesting in finding fun bargain bin video effects but obviously if I have something that's already well suited for the job of course I'd favor using that. The downside from what I can tell of the Extron 204 above that i pictured is that it doesn't have a composite output.. only component which i'm not sure if easily stepped back down to composite..
    Quote Quote  
  24. I capture laserdisc quite a bit. My current setup is the Pioneer CLD-D704 LD player ---> Leitch VPA 331N Proc Amp ---> Vidicraft Detailer III ---> JVC DR-M10S DVD recorder. [/QUOTE]

All that fine setup to capture onto crappy dvd ? I don't believe it
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote