VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey guys i have a video fiel with ac3
    and im converting it from xvid to dvd

ive converted it and all
    havnt authored it et
    but just wondering does tmpgenc encode it still keeping that 5.1 channel sound?
    or is it now just a wav 2 channel

i saved the audio to a wave file using goldwave

im about to author it and realsie now that i need to buy the addon for ac3 for author
    but still just at this point is the encoded files i have in ac3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, this is how I do it (your method has killed the 5:1 and there aint much you can do other than starting again).

1)Open the avi (usualy an xvid with 5:1 AC3 audio) in VirtualDubMod

2)On the <Streams> tab select the audio (typically the only entry) and then press the <DEMUX> button>save the audio to a convenient place (takes about 2-3mins).

3)Now press <DISABLE> on the same (Streams) page as above (hashes will go thru the grey).

4)Now on the <VIDEO> tab select 'Direct Stream Copy' and now go to the FILE tab and select <Save As>...save to a convenient place.. (the new saved avi file will be audioless as I find that my encoder and frameserver baulk on xvids with AC3 audio..takes about 3mins).

5)Open the new avi (the audioless one) and frameserve to your encoder>using AVIsynth or VirtualDub (or VirtualDubMod)...but first..

FITCD has an excellent avi to DVD resize calculator in it (and includes 16:9 encoding flags and PAL), AND it will write your .avs (AVISynth script) for you ...frameserving has never been this easy....just remember to add this line to the script..... ConvertToYUY2().

If your using VD (or VDM) to frameserve select>VIDEO>FILTERS>ADD>RESIZE just set the <Expand and Letterbox> to the DVD resolution of your choice (either 720X480 or 720X576) and Resize (using Bicubic or Lancz) the avi to the resolution shown in <FITCD>. You dont even need the old calculator anymore..aint life great?

6) Open the frameserver file (.avs or .vdr) with your encoder and make a .m2v/.mpv file with you calculated bitrate settings....use BitrateCalc in Advanced mode for this.

7)Back to the AC3 file....first off run it thru AC3Fix (via AC3FIXGUI) to fix any problems (takes about 2-3mins).

8)Add the .m2v file in TDA and open the AC3 file along with it....!)...and ensure that little <REENCODE the audio....>box IS NOT ticked.

9)After chaptering etc write to the hard disk (you may not hear the audio if you preview!).

10)Play the resulting .ifo or a .vobs in a software DVD player to check the sound...now burn....

Job done...... AVI-AC3 to DVD-DD in 10 simple steps.
    You will need the AC3 plugin for TDA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thankyou very much for the help
    worked fine
    Quote Quote