VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Tobshiba 36in. TV and I've had it for awhile...I was wondering..could I get an HD box/decoder of some sort that I could connect to a Satellite reciever or regular antenna in order to recieve any HD feeds?
    Sincerely,

John Shumate - Owner of High Tech Entertainment

www.hteradio.net & www.hteradio.org
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah you could. but if your tv is analog you would have to get the converter to convert it back to analog and the whole point would be mute
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glockjs
    yeah you could. but if your tv is analog you would have to get the converter to convert it back to analog and the whole point would be mute
    Hello,

Well no. The converter is so you don't have to spend a $1000USD on a new tv. The converter isn't cheap (don't know the price). But that way when the hdtv switch comes in the US you won't have to buy a brand new tv.

Kevin

--The tube is still good it just needs to be able to accept the new signals--
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but whats the point of getting hdtv if its going to be converted back over to analog? how much progress did you really make? pic might look a little better and you get dolby...but not enough to justify buying hd box and analog converter. at that point i would just put the money towards a new tv to fully enjoy the hdtv...but thats just my thought
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well..if somebody could get me a price I would appreciate it.

I've seen this thing at work and It looks good in my opinion.
    Sincerely,

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just check bestbuy , your local cable company or sat services -- they all have them
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. You guys really need to do some research on what is involved in HDTV.

The converters are $250 and up and virtually all TVs, analog and HDTV will need one if the conversion deadline goes through in 2007.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    conversion deadline goes through in 2007.

i wouldn't worry to much at this point ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  9. I would wait for the 5th generation Set Top Boxes which are do out early in 2005. The 5th generation will be much improved over the 4th generation which are being sold now. Also, many manufactures are building HDTV's with HD converteres built in (the US government is requiring a certain percentage, something like 50%, of all TV's sold, in the next year or so to contain the converter). From what I have read you should be able to drop the HD signal down to 480i so that it will work with the analog sets; and while you won't be getting HD, the picture should be better than analog due to the fact that most of the over-the-air noise will be gone.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well...I would love to get this because..I don't really think that people will go and buy a whole new tv just because of the fact people can't afford it...so..they rather buy a box..as long as the picture looks good then I'm fine with it.

Besides..its for my dad...he's 65 years old..it wouldn't hurt him as he would notice a difference, but it would be fine for him even if it wasn't the best picture out there.

Thanks for your help.
    Sincerely,

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well..after searching..I can't seem to find any on circuitcity.com and bestbuy.com

Anybody have any links to point to in the right direction?

Thanks.
    Sincerely,

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks alot.
    Sincerely,

Quote Quote