VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by D.A.R.J.R.
    The regionfree hack on the digitalfaq website works. I am almost tempted to try the 5001 firmware.
    With a 90-day Walmart return policy, you've got nothing to lose!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a typical dvd drive (like you might find in an Xbox or PS2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The regionfree hack on the digitalfaq website works. I am almost tempted to try the 5001 firmware.
    The chipset is backward compatable so it could work. Odd are its just based off of the reference software with some changes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    One problem, I work there..lol...

It just doesnt look good.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    One problem, I work there..lol...
    It just doesnt look good.
    Go to another one. They're everywhere.

Come to think of it ... does working somewhere mean you don't get the warranty and service? I'd hope not.

Your call. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have decided to do it once iLO offers an official release. That way if it messes it up I can go back to the official firmware.

Hurry iLO, we need firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK, I mentioned the jitter or skip I thought was about at the chapter points.

I took that DVD+RW disk, used windows explorer to copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive, opened the DVD in Tmpgenc DVD Author and created a new dvd which I burned back to a -R Ritek G04 disk. Just watched the entire new disk and I did not see that jitter anywhere!
    I also used the same chapter points as it was on the +RW to begin with.
    Only thing I really changed was the menu to something I liked better than the default, and I Cut about the first 30 seconds or so from the begining.

Although I had no playback issues, I did see pixelations in spots and some frames at times, mostly jumping from one scene to another where EVERYTHING was totally different in the picture. Like night darkeness last frame of scene 1 and Bright morning sun in first frame of scene 2. Was not bad but was there! General quality of the movie though was great except for that a few times.

I erased the first movie and used the same +RW disk to record another movie tonight. I'll see how it looks tomorrow.

As far as what caused the jitters/skip on that first movie, it might be the player or the disk I geuss since the files themselves don't do that on the PC nor does the new disk I authored.
    I am not using the ILO for playback, just recording. I use a Norcent DP300 for playback.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  8. does working somewhere mean you don't get the warranty and service?
    I think he meant more like not wanting to return "a hacked up" product to his own manager

Ya, like pay cash then have your wife return it to a store far away while wearing a red wig and lots of eye shadow and get a cash refund
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by overloaded_ide
    I think he meant more like not wanting to return "a hacked up" product to his own manager

Ya, like pay cash then have your wife return it to a store far away while wearing a red wig and lots of eye shadow and get a cash refund
    Thats what I meant. I have only worked there for a short amount of time and I dont want to risk getting a bad reputation.

We have the same rights though as far as returning stuff I just dont want to deal with the hassle if I dont have to.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Which is best deal?

$139.99 + tax for LiteOn 5001 (I think) at Sam's
    $149.99 + tax for ilo from Wal-Mart
    $134.99 for Gateway 230 (using 10% and free shipping codes from AVS)

Thoughts?

I'm basically looking for a cheap DVD Recorder to transfer camcorder footage via 1394.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If I were you I'd get the LiteOn from Sams, that way you know what it is. Although all the others are basically "rebadged" or variations its probably best to know for sure that its a LiteOn 5001.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'd agree, you'd know what it is plus I assume your gonna buy it locally so if any problem with it you should be able to return or exchange it.

They are all pretty close in price depending on your sales tax if you have to pay it. But then agian shipping to return a defective one would cost you probably if needed and eat that savings quick. Most the time I preffer online myself, but on something I consider IFFEY I preffer local if just a little higher. I consider these IFFEY so far..
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  13. Additional advantage to the LiteOn at Sam's is that they apparently offer 3 yr. replacement warranty (incl. ord. wear & tear) for $14. I usually don't even consider these things, but at this price point, it may be difficult to pass up.
    Quote Quote  
  14. They are gonna get cheaper as hdtv recorders become the mainstream. As hdtv is going to be in all new tvs by 2007. Large tvs by July 2005.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just wanted to add that I have tried flashing my dvdr04 to a liteon 5001 and it hasnt worked. Maybe its because I used a CDR and not a CDRW.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Is it Lieton that recomends Nero 6 to build the disk?

EDIT: Wondering if the cost of the HD version would be worth it? Would you get any extra benifit from it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The reason to get the Gateway is you KNOW it has a fan, while the older LiteOn 5001 units (most likely what SAM's has, as a second-run electronics store) have no fan, and can cook an egg without heat modding.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Has anyone tried to hook up the firewire connection to a computer and seeing if data can flow from it to the computer. And not just from Computer/DV camera to recorder. Strange but would be interesting feature.
    Quote Quote  
  19. For whatever reason, the product at Sam's is labelled as a Model 5101. I assume this is just a 5001 with a different model # for warehouse clubs. It does, however, make me believe that it is a newer manufacture date with a fan. I'll buy one and check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I saw a LiteOn 5005 at Costco yesterday for $199. If you belong to Costco and they have the 5005, it's a lot better, and you get their unconditional guarantee....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Johnny C Note wrote

saw a LiteOn 5005 at Costco yesterday for $199. If you belong to Costco and they have the 5005, it's a lot better, and you get their unconditional guarantee
    I saw that last week. Walmart has a Pioneer DVR 220s on sale for $248. Both the Lite On and Pioneer seem to get good reviews from users. I'm still debating which one to buy. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Got a reply from their customer service and it only took 2 days. Kinda thought I wasnt going to get a response.

The unit will be able to playback surround sound as long as the disc has it
    encoded (retail DVDs), however it will not record the 5.1 surround sound
    from a video stream (if recording a show, video, movie).

We will forward your suggestion to our marketing dept and we may enable the
    3 hours mode in the next release firmware.

Tech Support
    URL: http://www.ilohelp.com

Thank you for contacting iLO tech support

Please include the previous mail(s) when you reply.

I have the DVDR04 and have notcied that it records the Audio in Mpeg2 when
    the manual cleary says it records it in Dolby Digital. Will this be
    corrected in a Firmware Update? Also woud you consider a 3 hour mode?
    It seems they misunderstood my one question, I was asking why it doesnt record audio in AC3 when the manul says it records in Dolby Digital. I'm glad to see that they are atleast open to creating an official firmware with 3hr mode.

Originally Posted by NightWing
    Has anyone tried to hook up the firewire connection to a computer and seeing if data can flow from it to the computer. And not just from Computer/DV camera to recorder. Strange but would be interesting feature.
    In the manual it says this:
    Quote Quote  
  23. In the manual it says this:
    Yep that's all I got here.
    No pic.

Make sure it's less than 50k or it don't work, that's the problem I have alot the few times I upload pics.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  24. Sorry about that, I fixed it. The pic was hosted on Photobucket.com and I guess they must be having problems or something. Anyways, its fixed now.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by D.A.R.J.R.
    Originally Posted by NightWing
    Has anyone tried to hook up the firewire connection to a computer and seeing if data can flow from it to the computer. And not just from Computer/DV camera to recorder. Strange but would be interesting feature.
    In the manual it says this:
    Tnks for the response!

ADDED: Check 4 Walmarts around this area. None have the HD version of this unit.

Still at the point that a Set Top DVD recorder is still a work in progress. Each has a fatall flaw.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Laddydaddy
    Johnny C Note wrote

saw a LiteOn 5005 at Costco yesterday for $199. If you belong to Costco and they have the 5005, it's a lot better, and you get their unconditional guarantee
    I saw that last week. Walmart has a Pioneer DVR 220s on sale for $248. Both the Lite On and Pioneer seem to get good reviews from users. I'm still debating which one to buy. Any thoughts?
    I had a LiteOn 5001, but it started to create bad disks after a month, so I returned it and got a Pioneer 210, which has been great. However, I don't think this model is a LiteOn because it's a -R, while the 5001 was a +R. It also has a lot more features. Overall, I'm a lot happier with it...
    Quote Quote  
  27. JohnnyCNote
    Thanks for your reply. I've always had good luck with Pioneer products in the past so I'll stick to them. Owners of the DVR 220S say the output quality is excellent.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Any time! I'm also a fan of Pioneer. I have a DVR 108 in my computer and it works really well. Over the years I've always had a good experience with Pioneer....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought one of these today to try out. On the top of the box there was a carton/store tracking sticker that included "Lite-On Sales and Dist." on it. Under that it had "SSCC 004604325444257444779" if that means anything to anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I picked up an iLO at wallyworld today. The salesperson knew nothing about the 1 and 3 year replacement policy $15. as per website.

I have used a Philips DVDR75 for a little over a year. Burned more than 600 DVDs on it and the laser is getting tired.

I am mad. The iLo has a more detailed recorded DVD picture than my DVDR75, at about 1/4 what I paid for the early model....

Record speeds are: 1, 2, 4 and 8 hour. Choice of automatic chapter points at 5/10/15/15 minutes I think. Menus are easier to use than the DVDR75. Unit has a small fairly quiet fan in back.

I Dislike way input (source) defaults to tuner each time since I don't use it. Mostly use S-vhs input from my SA3250HD cable box.

Features I miss from the DVDR75: divide titles, add chapter points manually, selectable index menu picture, front S-vhs input, rear component input.

All said, one hell of bang for the buck...
    The OldeMan
    Quote Quote