VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My "A New Hope", and the extra's disc both had read erros brand new.

Tested DVD Shrink, Nero Disc Scan, DVDInfo Surface Scan, DVD Decrypter, on a Samsung DVD-Rom, a Pioneer 107D, and NEC2500A...Definately bad blocks, not just my reader.

If you're having these problems....

here's how to beat it.

DVD Decrypter - > File Mode
    Turn ignore read errors on, read retries 0.

It'll take about 2 extra min to get through the errors.

Now you have your Video_TS folders.

Drag the Video_TS.vob file from the DVD (about 1.7MB if I remember) into your newly ripped Video_TS folder.

Open the Video folder with DVDShrink (using "open files" option). (DVD2One will NOT work, either will Image Tool Burn, however after using DVDShrink (even if not shrinking) both will.

(Newb hint: make sure you have everything at 100%, by selecting "No Compression", or by going to the disc or every folder and going custom ratio 100%, if you wish to resize with a different program.)

There you go. You now have a .iso file of your movie. Burn/Shrink with your desired program.

DVDShrink seems to be a needed part. ImageToolBurn cannot reallocate the files properly beforehand, unsure why. DVD2One also cannot open the Video_TS folder first. Tried several programs, and none would work without running it through DVDShrink first. Odd.

I hope this helps!

Seth
    Quote Quote  
  2. I used ANYDVD and CloneDVD and my LG burner no problems at all. I did upgrade to IC8 update and update ANYDVD had some problems went back to ANYDVD 3.5.1.3 no problems
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wanted to use CCE SP... is there another program that can shrink the movie while using CCE? If not, then what is the best program to use, cuz I want the highest quality possible?

Thanks, :P

Weirdly Gruesome
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use DVD Rebuilder to shrink using CCE! one click backup solution with highest quality anywhere!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh ya... I failed to mention that DVD Rebuilder doesn't work with Star Wars.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  6. fudgeu,

don't post the same problem in multiple topics.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want the best quality - split the disks ...

i mean what is another $1 and so easy to do ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I didn't realize that this Star Wars thread existed when I posted. Sorry for any inconvenience.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Doh... All I want to do is keep it on one disc, and use CCE to encode it, but DVD Rebuilder won't work.... doh!

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Did you have DVD Rebuilder reading the ripped .VOB files from the hard drive or the DVD directly?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I ripped the dvd to my hdd, and had it reading that... should I make it read the vob files only? and how would I do that?

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I just wanted to refresh my memory because I haven't used DVD Rebuilders in four months now.

I'm still waiting for my copy of SW Trilogy to be delivered. It's going to be interesting to find out what backup problems I'll have.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah... I bought mine the other day... DVD Rebuilder detect multiple camera angles and then craps out on me... and the best dvd shrink can do is 60% compression... while leaving the menus somewhat decent looking. The menus for this movie are frikin huge too.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I also prefer DVD Rebuilder's quality, but if push comes to shove, I will settle on DVD Shrink. Did you burn and watch the DVD rendered by DVD Shrink? The video at 60% may not as bad as you fear.
    Quote Quote  
  15. True... but I only want to do this one... my comp is a POS 1.1Ghz Athlon with 1GB of PC133 RAM, and it takes time to enocode stuff. Worse case scenario, i'll have to use dvd shrink.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what is wrong with using 2 disks (i can't figure it out)
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    then again i hdtv monitor and a video projector at home and want the best quality
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    then again i hdtv monitor and a video projector at home and want the best quality
    Hello,

HIGH DEF JERK! (me be jealous! )

Kevin

--2 discs?? You can stand the wait to switch?? Even if you have a multi disc player there is still a wait--
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did mine with dvd shrink at 60% and it looks great on my HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Reaper88
    I did mine with dvd shrink at 60% and it looks great on my HDTV.
    Coo... I guess that's all I was waiting for... i've already edited out the fbi warnings and the extras... now i'll use dvd shrink to compress the video. I have an HDTV too, so hopefully it'll look decent. Thanks for the feedback Reaper... much appreciated.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did mine with Shrink (Reauthored to Movie only). If I remember correctly, it was at 67%. Anyway, it looks great on my 62" Toshiba.
    Quote Quote  
  22. You compressed Episode IV to 67%??? The only way you could've done that is if you removed the menus. Personally, I like to keep the menus. :P

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fudge_u...

What part of MOVIE ONLY wasn't clear in that post? Yes, I dumped the menus...personally, I like to keep the MOVIE! I don't watch the menus very often!!!
    Quote Quote  
  24. oops... my bad... didn't read ur post carefully... just skimmed it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I used the newest DVDShrink for A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back and kept the 5.1 DD and the audio commentary around 58% compression and used max sharpness with deep analysis and it looks awsome on my HDTV. I would give this a try you would really be suprised how good it comes out.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks for the tips... I'm shrinkin a new hope right now at 60.8% with 5.1DD and subs. I hope it turns out as well are you say. I'm kinda anxious to see the results now.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Personally,i'd use 2 discs.I've done this with a few movies.Perfect backup for a long movie,with a beer break in the middle.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all.

I was able to rip the dvd the opening day (9/21) and I used
    Smartripper w/ no problems. What's causing you all those issues ??

Maybe it's your "fussy" dvd-rom (or DVD-R/RW) that's having prob
    w/ ripping ??

Also.. Don't get me wrong, but two disks ??

And, no.. I didn't rip and encode the movie. Just part of my
    madness of guauging some of my left over test encodes
    But, why aren't you all encoding to one DVD disk ( assuming you
    can fit the whole thing on one disk ?? ..at 9k ?? )
    I must be missing something here

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A movie only backup compressed from 7.5-8.0 GB to 4.4 GB is way to much compression for me even using DVD Rebuilder,which i use 90% of the time.Like BJM said discs are cheap, etc.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but wait. You're confusing me. You're talking about "the whole dvd" which
    is approx 7 gigs. I think it's refered to as dual-layer or something. Anyways.

A tipicle 2 hour movie is roughly 4gigs. So, I still don't get it, why you would
    want to take a 2 hour (4gig) movie, and split the encode (and bitrate distribution)
    onto two dvd disk
    .. unless you'r encoding methods are bad (yeilding to poor qulity, unless you
    raise the bitrate)
    I still don't get it I thought that 9k in CBR holds 2 1/2 hours of video on a
    DVD disk ??

-vhelp
    Quote Quote