VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I think this movie compresses so good because the original has an average of 7000kbps so even with 58% compression the shrunk version comes out with an average of 4100kbps. I think this is still a very good bitrate for a 4.7DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bkimmle
    I think this movie compresses so good because the original has an average of 7000kbps so even with 58% compression the shrunk version comes out with an average of 4100kbps. I think this is still a very good bitrate for a 4.7DVD.
    4100 is not a stellar bitrate for a movie that has alot of action scenes. It might be OK if the original encoder was good and the max bitrate with VBR was set high enough. Still, you might see some blocks on flashing scenes. It all depends on a lot of factors. Try it and see
    Quote Quote  
  3. 70% compression with just one audio soundtrack and no menus is just not gonna cut it for me for my HDTV. I can see all artifacts at that level no matter what prog is used. So, 2 DVDs and great quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    at full bit rate -- you can squeeze just barely over 2 hours on 8.5 gigs
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i can see compression artifacts - no mater what settings are used in shrink, at anything over 90% compression -- i know i am picky a bit since i do this for a living - but they are pretty noticeable to me ..

if it is dual layer - i split the layers and keep everything .... menus are the same on both disks --

shrink is very handy for this - even with no compression ..
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  6. To get back to the original thread (error reading) my NEC 3500 did just fine with DVDDcrypter and no special settings or copying any other files. I saw errors with my AOpen drive and switched to the 3500.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripped perfectly fine for me using DECRYPTER and DVD SHRINK to compress. Too bad DVD REBUILDER can't be used because of the wide angles.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ripped fine. WHat's up with the different angles?

confuses me...
    Quote Quote  
  9. "fudge_u" How to use DVD rebuilder first use DVDshrink. Do movie only with no compression. Rip angel one with will the the english one. Wth the wrod the other angel 2 adn 3 are Spanish and French. DVDshrink will spit out a copy with the hole movie with no compression there will be no menu's but you can now encode the movie to fit on a DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by fudge_u
    Yeah... I bought mine the other day... DVD Rebuilder detect multiple camera angles and then craps out on me... and the best dvd shrink can do is 60% compression... while leaving the menus somewhat decent looking. The menus for this movie are frikin huge too.

WG.
    Do you need all the angles? Remove all but one and use Rebulder for compression.

Same with menus, not sure about this particular disk, but all others SW have few different sets of menus. Do you need all of them? Here is an example: http://cdr-zone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=939
    http://www.dimadsoft.com - home of DvdReMake and MenuEdit tools
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    i can see compression artifacts - no mater what settings are used in shrink, at anything over 90% compression -- i know i am picky a bit since i do this for a living - but they are pretty noticeable to me ..

if it is dual layer - i split the layers and keep everything .... menus are the same on both disks --

shrink is very handy for this - even with no compression ..
    Are you serious? At 90%? I mean I don't have a huge HDTV just a 40" but I can't see a damn thing that high. I have tried the new DVDShrink with the new quality settings?

I have tried this movie at 58% and can barely tell a difference. I know an average of 4100kbps is that great for action movies but it is great for a movie on one 4.7gig DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    are all regions affected by this or is it just some DVD's? as some people are having no issues

@bkimmie, everyone has different views on quailty and what they perceive as quality . There are other factors also such as the range of equipment used to view the image

I'm sure if chas0039 was in the same room watching the same picture he would notice something on your setup as he's probably got a very good eye for quality. It's the same with CD's and mp3's where people claim they cannot hear the difference at different bitrates but others can

the best thing for everyone to do is just accept that someone can see a difference even at 99.9% or someone can't at 60% and forget about it 8)

personally myself, I know that at 60% or less I would also see a drop in quality if I compared the output with the original even on normal playback. You may however think the quality is still acceptable to watch though as it will still be very good quality but just not as good as the original
    Quote Quote  
  13. This is what I did for Star Wars IV: A New Hope:

- Ripped the full uncompressed movie to my hdd
    - Used DVD Remake to remove FBI Warning, THX screen, etc... and both the audio/video tests
    - Then I used DVD Shrink to remove all of the audio/subtitles except for english 5.1DD audio and the english subtitles
    - Then I lower all of the menus down to the very minimum which was around 80% compression I think(the bar was as far left as it could go)
    - Once all of that was done, the movie itself reached 60.8% compression... since that was the best I could do, I ended up burning it

When I went to watch the results, I was pleasantly surprised that the quality was still some what decent. There were a few minor imperfections but other then that the overall quality was nicer then I expected. I was also watching it on a 47' HDTV Widescreen TV, with progressive scan dvd player. But I was impressed with the end result. Since this is one of the only alternatives for backing up this movie, then I would have to recommend it... but try to take out as much of the extra junk as you can to boost the overall quality.

WG.
    Quote Quote  
  14. ripped with DVDDecrypter,passed through DVD2ONE,movie only,English 5.1 audio,English subs,and set size of disc to 4400.
    that done copied it with CopytoDVD,and its fine,no errors,no noticeable artifacts-no problem.
    menus are completely pointless on a movie like this,i dont spend time watching them,and much rather prefer without them,they take up unnecessary space that could be put to better use on the film.
    oh,and it was a REGION 2 box set,purchased in the UK.
    Quote Quote  
  15. ripped my copy yesterday and i had no problem what so ever doing it
    Quote Quote  
  16. I also had no problems ripping the discs I used a combination of DVD2SVCD and CCE to obtain the highest quality and you know what, it worked. Who needed the menus, there just a waste of space.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Fandim
    If you're having these problems....

here's how to beat it.

DVD Decrypter - > File Mode
    Turn ignore read errors on, read retries 0.

It'll take about 2 extra min to get through the errors.

Now you have your Video_TS folders.
    Fandim -- That did not work for me. I've searched this thread and this board and I've tried every possible suggestion that was available to me and I was capable of doing all to no avail. I can rip all but chapters 26 and 27. No matter what I try or how I try it, I cannot get these chapters to rip. I was wondering if you knew if that was the point that gave you trouble as well, or what. The other movies in the trilogy ripped perfectly. This one is driving me insane. I've spent almost a week on it, does anyone know what else to try/do to get these last two chapters? I hope so, and thanks in advance for any help. Be well all
    Quote Quote  
  18. Oops! Replied to last post on first page again. I hate it when I do that.

There is more than one way to split a disk:
    - disk one movie only, disk two extras with menus
    - disk one movie with menus, disk two extras with menus
    - disk one menus, extras, and first part of movie, disk two remainder of movie (ala DVDFab)

One type of disk that doesn't split well are infinifilms and similar ilk. The button over video ("follow the white rabbit mode") links out of the main movie to the extras. If you put the extras and the movie on separate disks, the link-outs can't work properly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    GTJDorris,

Try ripping that file (VTS_02_04.VOB?) with SmartRipper and adding it to the VTS_Folder DVDDecrypter created. DVDDecrypter wasn't able to decrypt it, but SmartRipper for whatever reason could.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by louv68
    GTJDorris,

Try ripping that file (VTS_02_04.VOB?) and adding it to the VTS_Folder DVDDecrypter created. DVDDecrypter wasn't able to decrypt it, but SmartRipper for whatever reason could.
    louv68 -- I originally ripped the files by chapter, so I have a .vob for each chapter. I'm trying to do the same now with Smart Ripper to get the two chapters that Decrypter didn't get. I think I've got a handle on Smart Ripper, but I'm confused about how to select only the files I want because I chose file splitting by chapters and selected only the ones I wanted, but every time you change your view the software puts check marks next to every file again, confusing the hell out of me. Not to mention it seems to output the files in a weird name: not according to the content but according to how many files its output at that particular time of use. Anyone even understand what the hell I just said and/or could explain why its doing what its doing? But thanks for the tip hopefully it works. Be well regardless, and thanks for any advice/answers in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The way I did it was by ripping all the Files with DVDDecrypter in File Mode. VTS_02_04.VOB was unrippable, so I had DVDDecrypter skip it. I then used SmartRipper to rip that file and place it in the VTS_Folder. I'm at work, so I'll try to remember what I did. I believe I clicked on the Files button on the left. I then deselected all the files which I believe are selected by default. There should be a button to do this. Then manually select the file. Choose the destination and click Start. If I remember correctly, you don't have to worry about the name. It'll be correct.

Good Luck. Let us know if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by louv68
    I then used SmartRipper to rip that file and place it in the VTS_Folder.

Let us know if it works.

Nope, SmartRipper can't do it either. I find it hard to believe that its just coincidence that I'm having trouble at the same spot that so many other people are, but I also am confused why trying multiple solutions that other people have verified don't work for me. It's still only chapters 26 and 27 of the first "A New Hope" disc. Anybody else got any other clues, ideas, hints? I hope so, cause I'm determined to get this mother to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is, not everyone is having problems. I ripped the entire A New Hope disc (using DVD Decrypter in file mode) without a single error on my Pioneer DVR-106. Same goes for the rest of the set. I even burned the ripped discs (after shrinking them with DVD2one) and popped 'em in my DVD player; no problems whatsoever. I should think that if it truly were some kind of "grand anti-piracy conspiracy," I would've been affected, too.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  24. No, I don't think its anything to do with new anti-piracy implementation or anything. I just want to back up my stupid disc. Anybody willing to share their .vob's for chapters 26 and 27 with me, cause after a solid week of trying to get this to work, that's the only course of action left to me that I can come up with. So....any takers?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I don't think its anything to do with new anti-piracy implementation or anything. I just want to back up my stupid disc. Anybody willing to share their .vob's for chapters 26 and 27 with me, cause after a solid week of trying to get this to work, that's the only course of action left to me that I can come up with. So....any takers?
    What is the brand of your dvd-rom or dvd burner? Sounds like it could be a hardware problem. I've backed up my star wars without any problems using DECRYPTER in FILE MODE then used DVD2ONE. I also used DVD SHRINK to see which quality was better. In my eyes the DVD2ONE looked brighter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My thoughts ("hardware and/or software-related") exactly. If it's a hardware issue, it could be the brand/model of drive being used. (Has anyone else with a Pioneer DVR-106 been able to rip without problems?) If it's a software issue, it could be the version of the software in use (I'm using DVD Decrypter 3.1.4.0, which is a somewhat older vintage). I really doubt it's some kind of "grand anti-piracy conspiracy," as I said before, but more often than not it's usually the first thing people think of when they're unable to rip their discs.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by budz
    What is the brand of your dvd-rom or dvd burner?
    I've got a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. It can't be software as I'm using the most current (as of last week) versions of DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, SmartRipper, etc. etc. I'm determined to get this thing backed-up but its driving me f'ing nuts. Any more thoughts/suggestions, I hope?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. It can't be software as I'm using the most current (as of last week) versions of DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink, SmartRipper, etc. etc. I'm determined to get this thing backed-up but its driving me f'ing nuts. Any more thoughts/suggestions, I hope?
    It can be a hardware or software problem. Just because you're using the latest software of DVD DECRYPTER, DVD SHRINK, SMARTRIPPER, etc. doesn't mean anything. I would suggest you try using a OLDER VERSION of DVD SHRINK & DVD DECRYPTER. Here's a download for version 3.05 beta of DVD SHRINK. I don't have a download for a older version of DVD DECRYPTER. PM me then I can email you a older version of it. I've some had read errors from using the latest DVD SHRINK so I just use the OLDER VERSION 3.05 beta.

http://mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrinkold/
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by budz
    I've some had read errors from using the latest DVD SHRINK so I just use the OLDER VERSION 3.05 beta.
    DVDShrink 3.05 Beta didn't work either. This is immensely frustrating. Aggh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink 3.05 Beta didn't work either. This is immensely frustrating. Aggh.
    I'd say it's your sony burner is the problem or the disc itself. Return the Trilogy set and get another one. Tell them it's defective. Others have reported not having problems ripping the disc so I think it's your sony burner. Try ripping it on another computer or a friends pc.
    Quote Quote