1. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I could see that it was going to stir a hornet's nest so I deleted it
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    wankers
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have mixed feelings on this matter.

If I downloaded 'Spiderman 2' from eSkunk and burned it to DVD and then let my brother burn a copy of it, would that have been considered a 'yes' vote?

I mean, it was MY hard work locating the file, downloading it, fixing all the 'errors' introduced by dumbass noobs who can't proper cam a live movie, reauthoring and burning the disc, and then printing a kickass image on the disc. Am I not allowed to take any credit for services performed?

I really think this whole P2P thing is being attacked from the wrong angle. If people would take the time to upload quality the MPAA probably wouldn't be as critical of our behavior. Passing around a chop-job of such a fine theatrical work is rather insulting, if you asked me.

But back to the subject matter at hand. It was MY blank disc, and MY Internet connection. Since I own the disc in question, I don't think it's an issue. So for those of you who just assume a 'yes' vote equates to criminal activity, you're just wrong.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that's a beauty.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I hate to say it Indo but you really gotta get your eyes checked

Rented/borrowed - not downloaded

In response to your question though, I wish to debate that the downloader is doing anything wrong. Isn't the person uploading it or making it available to everyone else via P2P the one doing the distribution and therefore breaking copyright ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Didn't Indo let his brother borrow it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by freestyler
    Didn't Indo let his brother borrow it?
    yep. I didn't think of that per se when I started the poll. I meant renting commercially available movies from the video store or netflix or whatever or lending your store-bought ones out specifically.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I see this poll to cause more problems in the ethics of our fourm rules than good. However I am curious to see how many do and don't.
    If Man Made It, Man Can Copy It.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It was MY blank disc, and MY Internet connection. Since I own the disc in question, I don't think it's an issue.
    Yes, that is absolutely correct. Under copyright laws if you make such great changes to the original works in question then you have the right to copyright the new versions you created! So you own those!!

That's what Turner did colorizing PD movies right?? And I have found others that have NEW copyrights on PD works simply because a few changes were made. So yes, the government does say you can LEGALY STEAL works and call them your own if you make changes to them!!

I consider it a load of bull, but yes I have found like 1950 movies and older with NEW 1998 copyrights as a NEW WORK! Bull Crap!

Although to be fair I think Turner did colorize stuff that was not PD also.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    That is only partially correct. Because you added to the material, you have something of a joint copyright with the owner of the original material. You don't own the TS just because you cammed it. It still uses elements from another copyrighted work.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I hate to say it Indo but you really gotta get your eyes checked

Rented/borrowed - not downloaded

In response to your question though, I wish to debate that the downloader is doing anything wrong. Isn't the person uploading it or making it available to everyone else via P2P the one doing the distribution and therefore breaking copyright ?

Hey! You said borrowed! You didn't say WHAT kind of DVD was being borrowed...

Oh, you mean a borrowed pressed DVD, don't you? :P :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah I know ...

My apologies
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Capmaster:
    Since it was removed, I can't see what the poll was about but if I understand the subject heading correctly then I don't think you went far enough. Any poll or discussion about ethics,laws and morality of copying rentals is misleading. This trolling topic is contrary to the forum rules (AUP). I would have locked it and removed it from public view. End of subject!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    Since it was removed, I can't see what the poll was about but if I understand the subject heading correctly then I don't think you went far enough. Any poll or discussion about ethics,laws and morality of copying rentals is misleading. This trolling topic is contrary to the forum rules (AUP). I would have locked it and removed it from public view. End of subject!
    No. It was intended to be an anonymous number count, nothing more, nothing less.

The first post clearly stated this and also clearly stated that there was to be no discussion as per forum rules.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The subject is copying rented/borrowed poll

I dont see any harm in that, cos there is NO mention of copyrighted material. for all we know, it could mean copying dvds which are not copyrighted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waheed

I dont see any harm in that, cos there is NO mention of copyrighted material. for all we know, it could mean copying dvds which are not copyrighted.
    Hello,

And how many of those exist????

Anyway, this should probably be locked up before it gets out of hand.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It must be hard to speculate on the content of a thread without ever seeing it

I can assure all and sundry that the poll was not in violation of the AUP as it was not advocating the behaviour in any way, merely detecting the presence of the behaviour so as not to bring the forum into disrepute. Because the poll count was anonymous, there could be no backlash towards individuals.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,

Kevin
    LOL, so true
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My pappy used to say " the only good rented dvd is one that gets copied " or was it " copy the good ones for me sonny "
    - Tree
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the starwars video twice. If I download and copy the starwars dvd rip am I guilty.

Barrybear
    Quote Quote  
  21. Probably.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what Turner did colorizing PD movies right??

It's been a few years so I could be wrong, but I think that is not right. I believe that Turner only colorized movies on which the copyright had expired or on which he owned the copyright.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    Capmaster:
    I deleted it. That puts it in the closed topics forum and out of public view. There would be no reason to lock it there.

The poll specifically said "do not discuss it ...just vote anonymously". But ...as with all threads, there are those who can't read the instructions, and I could see a flame war breaking out eventually. I decided it was best to pull it.

Originally Posted by Yoda313
    Why should this thread be locked? I started this to explain where the poll went. And this thread is hardly "out of control".

Another reason to lock a thread is because of warez. None of that here. Or because it's a pointless thread that clutters the forum without offering any meaningful discussion. Nope ...doesn't fit that category either.
    Quote Quote  
  24. We need Will Hay's input on this matter...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Hello,

Kevin
    If you're talking about commercial dvd/video, then not many. But not all dvd/video is commercial, it can be a wedding video, a party, graduation ceramony, video of a local football team, etc etc... the list goes on.

Point is, the topic does not provide enough information on what is to be copied from a rental/borrrowed dvd/video or material.

So its a debatable issue.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I buy a DVD, copy it, and return the original, I don't think any law has been broken.

If I do the same with a rented DVD, I have to wonder if there is not some violation of copyrite. I now have permanent possesion of a copy which I did not pay for - I only paid for a limited time usage of the material.

If I rent the DVD, copy it, return it, and watch it from my copy a week later, I may be in violation of whatever agreement existed between myself and the video store. That is something which has not been discussed.

Perhaps there is more than one issue - there is copyrite, and there is whatever agreement you have accepted when renting from the video store.

Not that I expect video stores to start enforcing this, but if any of these ever get to court, that could be a factor.

My personal opinion - if you rent a DVD, copy it to your hard disk, return the DVD, watch the movie a week later, and then delete the movie from your hard disk, you may have violated the letter of some laws, but you have not violated the intent or the spirit of the law.

Of course, if they let us buy and download the movies for $3.00 to $6.00 (the going price for some old movies in Wal-Mart), the question of piracy would never have been needed - people are at heart honest, and will pay for what they want if the price is fair and they have the opportunity.

My personal opinion - most piracy is caused by anal record and movie companies who are trying to keep us in the last century.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You would have to be dumb enough to blurt out to said video store that you copied their movies.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by freestyler
    And wasn't the person Indo downloaded it from, "letting Indo borrow it"

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by makntraks
    Originally Posted by freestyler
    And wasn't the person Indo downloaded it from, "letting Indo borrow it"

makntraks

Well, it was like this...

The guy I downloaded it from got his copy from a friend who got his copy from the only living half-neice of the woman whose son once dated the guy that was seen having gratuitous sex with one of the third cousins of a moderator here.

I figured since a moderator was involved, it was OK.
    Quote Quote