VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My JVC M10 is very picky about the vcr it uses to as a source in terms of picture quality. I noticed that my old Zenith vcr works extremely well with the M10 but some other newer brands are having trouble with streaky lines showing up in the video. I tried some tests using my Panasonic dvd recorder and it handles the new vcrs much better.

The Pansonic seems to filter out most if not all of the streaky horizontal lines, so that the picture looks fine, but I don't want to use the Pana.

I prefer to use the JVC to copy instead of the Panasonic because of it's superior picture quality (my opinion and some others). Most of the newer vcrs seem to exhibit the same type of video play back, I feel they aren't as good as some of the older models. Their output is either too noisy or the JVC M10 is too sensitive.

I tried a newer JVC vcr (HR-J692U ) and it didn't work well with the M10 (what else is new), the streaking was very noticable.

I then tried a Zenith combo unit (XB-V442) still same results as the other two.

I then took it back and tried a Sony (SLV-N750 4) same results as the JVC vcr. I must admit that none of these machines are top of the line vcr recorders but you would think that the technology would be even better than my 5 year old Zenith vcr.

I decided to continue to use my old Zenith vcr even though I feel it's on it's last leg. I don't want to pay a lot of money for a vcr but I do want to get one that has a more cleaner output than the brands I mentioned above.

If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Are the tapes bad? I use a 3 year old Mitsubishi and have never had any problems with any tapes wheather they are 10 years old or 2 years old. Older VCRs were better than new ones it's just a fact of life, everyone has to compete with Funai selling VCRs for $35. The Zenith is a Goldstar.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen no such thing. Sharps, JVCs, even some crappy Magnavox and Orion decks. All fine.

In fact, in all my reviews all of kinds of recorders, I've never seen such a thing.

Maybe it's just your wires.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't have problem in recording from the VCR (a Mitsubishi) but I have similar problem when connecting to a settop box using RCA video cable. The problem is gone when I use S-video. I tried different RCA video cable including coxial cable but the result is basically the same. I don't suppose your VCRs have S-video output. If they do, try S-video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've changed the wires and still the same results. I did a search on the web and found out that some people have had similar findings. They weren't using dvd recorders but noticed the same shortcomings using computer capture cards.

Like I said before if I use my Zenith vcr as the source the video looks fine, but some of the other recorders I tried show the lines. I will attempt to capture something and post it here so that you might get a better understanding of what I am talking about. I kept the Sony vcr and I will also use the Zenith to let you see the difference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, I don't have svideo on the vcrs. I wish I did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can sometimes see this caused by the JVC S-VHS units, generally are well-worn, late generation copies. But you can see it on the tv too. It's caused by signal errors. Lesser VHS machines tends to ignore them. But this is without a recorder, or with, either way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I've seen no such thing. Sharps, JVCs, even some crappy Magnavox and Orion decks. All fine.

In fact, in all my reviews all of kinds of recorders, I've never seen such a thing.

Maybe it's just your wires.
    It's very noticeable. After returning 2 different vcrs I kept the Sony. It still exhibits the same problem but I am attempting to find a resolution. Like I continue to say my old Zenith shows a perfect picture on the JVC M10 but all the other vcrs seem to show streaking lines. It looks like the tape is old but some are not.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Are the two of them to close together or too close to something else that could cause interference? The JVC seems more prone to interference than the Panasonic to me, which is strange since the JVC uses shielded video circuits and the Panasonic doesn't. I can see faint lines moving up through the picture sometimes on the JVC recordings, I never saw anything like that on the Panasonic, it's definitely not my satellite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've also seen the same thing, but I thought it was due to low power. I never saw these things using my Panasonic. Yet the JVC M10 has a better picture overall.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This photo taken from the movie Crumb shows no streaks using my older Zenith VCR

This photo shows the streaks using the Sony vcr.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's not streaks. That's color banding. But even then, not really. And a horrible image to display it. Not to mention either the tape or her face is terrible. Find a tape with a solid color background, not hamburger.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's not streaks. That's color banding. But even then, not really. And a horrible image to display it. Not to mention either the tape or her face is terrible. Find a tape with a solid color background, not hamburger.
    What exactly is color banding? Is there a way to get rid of it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those color bands are what I get on every tape I use even newer ones. Yet they do not show up using the Zenith.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's an interference type of error. Wires generally cause this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried several different wires types. I even went out to RadioShack and purchased some new silver and gold tip wires and I still seem to have the same problem.

Any suggestions about what type of wires to use?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ejai
    I've also seen the same thing, but I thought it was due to low power. I never saw these things using my Panasonic. Yet the JVC M10 has a better picture overall.
    So I'm not the only one who sees this, I figured I had the satellite and the recorder too close to each other, guess not. I am beginning to wonder wheather it's better than the Panasonic myself. I never noticed this black level thing myself, if it was there it wasn't anywhere as annoying as watching those lines move through the picture when it has an almost perfect picture coming into it. Add the lines, the softer picture and the RAM problems and I just don't know anymore. It does look a little cleaner, but those lines and the softer picture offset any little bit better picture, so the only advantage left is the 5 minute record increments and the 2 hrs 14 min instead of 2 hrs on a DVD-R. This thing just isn't what everyone here wants to make it up to be to me.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ejai
    I've tried several different wires types. I even went out to RadioShack and purchased some new silver and gold tip wires and I still seem to have the same problem.

Any suggestions about what type of wires to use?
    Monster cables are excellent cables, but they are kinda expensive. I bought 2 6 foot s-video cables from MCM a few years ago on sale for $4 each. Look around and you might find a deal on some, they are on e-bay too. They may or may not fix the problem, if the Zenith works then I would say it's not cables myself. New VCRs are crap o rama, try a Mitsubishi the only decent one left.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Samijubal.

What you are saying makes sense to me. I can't seem to understand why the Zenith works fine all the time but the newer vcr models all have the same problem. Logic says something must be wrong with the newer vcr picture outputs.

I did a search on the web and found that there are people that feel the same way and are experiencing similar problems. The only reason I didn't return the Sony vcr is becuase it would of been my 3rd machine and Circuit Ciy might have a problem with so many returns.

As I said earlier the JVC M10 showed the banding effect and the Panasonic E50 covered it well enough that I had no problem using it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've taken stuff back to Circuit City that many times, shouldn't be a problem. I had to take back stuff that many times twice because of problems with it, finally gave up both times. Circuit City doesn't sell Mitsubishi, Ultimate does if you have one of those nearby. I myself travel over twice as far to go to Ultimate because of their excellent customer service, always been very satisfied with every aspect of purchases made there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Couldn't this also be the fault of "newer" VCRs being more sensitive to outside interference? For instance, I've got some tapes that will look absolutely crap when played through my JVC SVHS unit that look fine on an old Samsung VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Both of my JVC HR-S9911 S-VHS and Sony SLV-696 work fine with JVC DR-M10. No problems whatsoever. Have no clue what that might be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Neuron
    Both of my JVC HR-S9911 S-VHS and Sony SLV-696 work fine with JVC DR-M10. No problems whatsoever. Have no clue what that might be.
    I noticed that the JVC you own sells for a little over $200 US, this might mean that I need to pay more to get a better unit. The vcrs I was looking at were less than $100.
    Quote Quote  
  25. ejay,

Don’t worry about the new VCR’s. They are fine. You have a problem with your old VCR and your JVC DVD recorder. Both are out of specs. Because of its age the old VCR has dry capacitors, resistors out of tolerance… The JVC recorder is out of specs straight from the factory. You are not the only one with this problem. My friend bought the same JVC DVD recorder as is recommended on this site and had the same problem like you including soft and washed out picture. I didn’t want to post anything about that thinking that maybe it was only one bad apple.

Your two out of specs machines are a perfect match for each other. Don’t waste your money on new cables, TBC’s or video correctors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not understanding this "out of spec" thing. Seems like assumptive non-sense, but I'd like to hear more.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DAMN!

You might be right, I was trying not to think that, but what you are saying is probably true. My Panasonic plays the video fine from the Sony vcr only the JVC M10 has problems.

I am starting to hate the day I bought the M10. I too believed all the hype that was coming from this site and I am also the blame. As I continue to use this recorder I continue to find things about it I don't like. I tried to be fair but I'm running out of patience with it. I agree the picture quality is good but there are things about this recorder that seem to piss me off just when I think everything is going fine.

For example:

1 - My JVC Laser went bad after 35 days

2- I noticed the video looked soft and washed out

3- This unit does not make very good dvd ram files

4- It now seems to show a color banding problem using most newer vcrs

I have noticed that using a video enhancer can make the M10 picture quality great.

Zorankarapancev, after reading your post I decided to try one more test. I unpluged the Sony vcr from the M10 and put it directly into my television and whola, the video looked fine. I then put it back into the M10 and the banding lines appeared again.

This means I will have to find a vcr that is compatible with the M10, I have noticed that some people have stated that they have vcrs that work fine with the M10. I am keeping note of the models and when my Zenith konks out I will pick from that list.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think the M10 has another issue to add to my list.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe JVC makes better svhs vcr than Panny & Sony. I owned all three but the Higher JVC has always had a consisitent & Fine picture. If you already check wires & Wires are good. Try a Video Processor this definitely do what you want. You can not get a cheap one needs to be either a Elite, Vidicraft, ambico etc. Hopes this helps, Bud.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marvingj
    I believe JVC makes better svhs vcr than Panny & Sony. I owned all three but the Higher JVC has always had a consisitent & Fine picture. If you already check wires & Wires are good. Try a Video Processor this definitely do what you want. You can not get a cheap one needs to be either a Elite, Vidicraft, ambico etc. Hopes this helps, Bud.
    I own a Vidicraft, TBC 1000, SCC2, AVT8710 and GoDVD and it doesn't help at all, If anything it looks even worst. I do agree that getting a more top shelf vcr could help. I will keep a list of vcrs that have been recommended in case I need a new one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marvingj
    I believe JVC makes better svhs vcr than Panny & Sony. I owned all three but the Higher JVC has always had a consisitent & Fine picture.
    Can you please give me a name of a JVC model that I should consider?
    Quote Quote