VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ejai
    DAMN!

You might be right, I was trying not to think that, but what you are saying is probably true. My Panasonic plays the video fine from the Sony vcr only the JVC M10 has problems.

I am starting to hate the day I bought the M10. I too believed all the hype that was coming from this site and I am also the blame. As I continue to use this recorder I continue to find things about it I don't like. I tried to be fair but I'm running out of patience with it. I agree the picture quality is good but there are things about this recorder that seem to piss me off just when I think everything is going fine.

For example:

1 - My JVC Laser went bad after 35 days

2- I noticed the video looked soft and washed out

3- This unit does not make very good dvd ram files

4- It now seems to show a color banding problem using most newer vcrs

I have noticed that using a video enhancer can make the M10 picture quality great.

Zorankarapancev, after reading your post I decided to try one more test. I unpluged the Sony vcr from the M10 and put it directly into my television and whola, the video looked fine. I then put it back into the M10 and the banding lines appeared again.

This means I will have to find a vcr that is compatible with the M10, I have noticed that some people have stated that they have vcrs that work fine with the M10. I am keeping note of the models and when my Zenith konks out I will pick from that list.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think the M10 has another issue to add to my list.

You're not the only one that sees more flaws as time goes by, more everyday it seems like, it's definitely not the machine people here want to make it up to be. Those lines an the screen are VERY annoying, I think I'm watching cable instead of my 4DTV. The way the brightness and contrast go to hell when recording videotapes sucks too. The Panasonic basically recorded exactly what went into it, not true with the JVC. I too had problems in the first 2 weeks. I wish I had my E20 back more every day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. From my experience, the best VCR is probably JVC HR-S9600U.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The JVC recorder is out of specs straight from the factory.
    I think you should show the JVC technical people the pictures when you are using a JVC VCR and M10S. Then ask then to fix either the VCR or the DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Great idea! That should work! Ask them to fix the recorder.
    Ten years ago I had a similar problem with my Toshiba VCR's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ejai
    ..... I noticed that the JVC you own sells for a little over $200 US, this might mean that I need to pay more to get a better unit. The vcrs I was looking at were less than $100.
    Yes, it is true. But do not expect good quality and trouble-free work from low-end VCRs. JVC, as well as many other brands VCRs, with the price lower than $100 are junk. IMHO!

Originally Posted by ejai
    ....Can you please give me a name of a JVC model that I should consider?
    All currently on market JVC S-VHS VCRs with the model index number beginning with "9" are excellent VCRs. Also JVC's S-VHS series with the model index number contain letters "SR" are also great machines.
    Quote Quote  
  6. All this cheap and expensive VCR stuff is crap, the only thing that changes is circuitry, the mechanical assembly is the same wheather you spend $60 or $300. So saying one is trouble free and another isn't is not true since 90% or more of VCR problems are mechanical.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by samijubal
    .... The Panasonic basically recorded exactly what went into it, not true with the JVC. I too had problems in the first 2 weeks. I wish I had my E20 back more every day.
    I own both JVC DR-M10 and Panny DMR-E60. I stopped using Panny as a DVD recorder because there is no way Panny's recording quality is better than JVC. Just my personal opinion based only on my own experience.

Originally Posted by samijubal
    .... So saying one is trouble free and another isn't is not true since 90% or more of VCR problems are mechanical.
    And Yes and No. And also this not applicable for ejai's case. In his/her case the problem itself seems not to be mechanical. Either his/her DR-M10 is defective unit or VCRs he/she tried to use having bad circuitry.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You are the one saying don't expect good quality and trouble free from under $100. The mechanical assemblies are the same, so a $100 VCR is just as reliable as a $300 VCR. The more expensive VCR may be better as far as picture etc., but it is no more reliable. I've been working on VCRs for 15 years, I have plenty of experience with them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by samijubal
    .... I've been working on VCRs for 15 years, I have plenty of experience with them.
    Sure, and I respect your opinion and experience.
    I owned several cheap VCRs as well as my favorite hi-end VCRs such as Panny AG-1980 and JVC HR-S5800. Currently I own Sony SLV-696HF and JVC HR-S9911U S-VHS. I never ever had a single problem with those old and currently own once. Great video quality and excellent engineering. Believe it or not, but all cheap VCRs I ever had a chance to deal with was absolute junk with poor circuitry design, bad recording and playback video quality and crappy mechanics. I would never buy VCR under $100 whatever brand or non-brand is. Just my opinion and my way to go.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using VCRs since the late 70s (since I was a kid). As time has gone by, cheaper VCRs have been junk compared to more expensive ones. They're more expensive for a reason.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes on older VCRs if you spent more you got a better VCR, not anymore. Doesn't matter what you spend now you get the same crappy mechanical assembly, the only thing that's better is the power supply.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    Yes on older VCRs if you spent more you got a better VCR, not anymore. Doesn't matter what you spend now you get the same crappy mechanical assembly, the only thing that's better is the power supply.
    The signal processers are far, far more important. This is what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a her, I'm a him .

If anything is faulty it has to be the M10 or the newer vcrs. As I said before I have no problem with banding when I use the Panasonic. It only shows it's ugly head when I use the M10.

Also the Zenith I own is cheap and is over 5 years old but shows no banding on either of the dvd recorders. the newer vcrs (not expensive ones) all show the banding problem on the M10 only. The Panasonic show a very faint banding on very bad tapes yet not hardly noticeable. The Panasonic seens to filter it out better than the M10.

Because I like the M10 I am accepting the idea that the vcrs are the problem. This is why I wanted to know a few brands that most people think work well with the M10. The Panasonic works well with all the vcrs I've tried.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ejai
    I'm not a her, I'm a him .....
    How do I know what your gender is .....

Because I like the M10 I am accepting the idea that the vcrs are the problem. This is why I wanted to know a few brands that most people think work well with the M10. The Panasonic works well with all the vcrs I've tried.
    Both of my JVC and Panny DVD video recorders work with both mentioned above VCRs equally fine. Whatever is going on at your end is something else but not a M10. I think lordsmurf was right and most likely your problem might be related to wiring (bad wires or wrong connection or something like that) or something you might have in between your units (external TBC, video processors/video equalizers, other video equipment and so on ..). Try to exchange your M10 to another one and see if anything changed, if not, and problem persist, then it is definitely not a DR-M10. Just a thoughts.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Power line noise sometimes can cause the rolling faint horizontal bands/lines, too. Some equipment is more sensitive to this type of noise than others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not the cables, and it's not faint color changes cause by interference. I have all types of cables even monster cables and nothing works, I think it is the M10.

Common sense tells me that if the vcrs work well with the Panasonic (using the same connections), but the problem only shows up when I am using the M10 then that has to be the problem.

I think it is the M10, but because one of my vcrs works fine on both tells me all I have to do is find a vcr that works well with the M10. The M10 is more picky and needs a cleaner signal because it cannot filter out the banding effect well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Banding is an interference issue. Period. Unfortunately for you, it's not making itself easy to find.
    Quote Quote  
  18. If it doesn't do it on the Panasonic and it doesn't do it when not hooked through the JVC, I'd have to agree with you ejai, it's pretty obvious where the problem is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But she's said several times she can still see it on the Panasonic, though much fainter. That means it's still there, and is not machine related. That's interference. Most likely dirty power signals, magnetic noise, etc.

Hmmm.... where is the M10 in relation to everything else? I do know that my lower corner (I forget if it's left or right, front or back) emits some magnetic interference. This is why it's on a wooden desk.

Are these units in a metal cabinet, metal shelf units? That'll do it. Is the power filtered? Are you in a house, is this an isolated circuit? Is there a fan in the room, other devices on the circuit?

This is not an easy problem to solve. I'd dealt with it before, that's why I know what causes it. I've dealt with many errors in past years, which is why I've sunk money into the pit that is video production. Wires, power filters, adapters, amps, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's so hard to understand.....I'M NOT A SHE!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a small office in my house, and the M10 is on a metallic glass shelved stand. The television is about 2 ft away from the unit. I have a ceiling fan in the room. The M10 is elevated about 5 ft from the floor, almost level with the television.

My television has a 27" screen, it faces slightly slanted towards the M10.
    This is the conditions in which the Panasonic recorder functions. I replace one with the other while I was trying these tests.

Maybe this will give you a better picture of the design and placement of the units.
    Quote Quote  
  22. That's interference. Most likely dirty power signals, magnetic noise, etc.
    It is easy to check this assumption. Ejai, take the DVD recorder and one of the new VCR's in the other room and plug them in to two different AC outlets (the fan in your office should be turn off as well as any other home appliance). Record and check the recording on your TV set. The last resort will be to make the same test in someone else home.

I hope this will help you to resolve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I get home I will do this, and I will post my findings.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC models that are good are 9911 to 7600's. Sorry for being late getting back with you. Lordsmurf has a pretty cool web site and goes into very good details of JVC Models at ww.digitalfaq.com. Hopes that help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marvingj
    JVC models that are good are 9911 to 7600's. Sorry for being late getting back with you. Lordsmurf has a pretty cool web site and goes into very good details of JVC Models at ww.digitalfaq.com. Hopes that help.
    I will check it out.
    Quote Quote  
  26. When I get home I will do this, and I will post my findings.
    ejai, what's happened with your dvd recorder? Any news?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zorankarapancev
    When I get home I will do this, and I will post my findings.
    ejai, what's happened with your dvd recorder? Any news?
    I apologize I forgot, The same thing happened again. I bought my son a JVC M10 also and it happened on his as well. Next I took the Sony vcr to a friends house who also has a M10 and it did the same thing on his.

What I've found is that the M10 amplifies the banding problem while the E50 filters it out much better. This is not a bad thing at all, because that tells me what my next move is, and that was to take the Sony back.

The reason I took the vcr back is because it does have a banding problem just like the other vcrs I tested. I was able to see the faint discoloration using closer observation. The M10 made the problem more visible.

I will buy a more better made vcr when I get the money, cheap doesn't work well with the M10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's so hard to understand.....I'M NOT A SHE!!!!!
    I misread then.
    I almost always right "he" unless somebody complains.
    Quote Quote  
  29. If you are going to do alot of VHS transfers think about a super VHS, even if they are standard tapes. They aren't much more and then you get the s-video output.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem Lordsmurf.

I am planning to do just that, I'm looking at S-VHS recorders right now.
    Quote Quote