VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Anyone know when the new Lite-On 5006 will be released and also when will it be available in the UK!

What are the main improvements over the 5005!

Any tests or reviews on this model as yet!

Very little info on the Lite-On website !

Regards

Daryl
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi mate-mine came today.
    Bought it from svp.
    Regards,
    Simon
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by simonhughes
    Hi mate-mine came today.
    Bought it from svp.
    Regards,
    Simon
    Hi Simon,

Confirmed, SVP are selling the new Lite-on 5006!!

What are your initial impressions of it!

Has it got a "stereo" Nicam Tuner!

Eagerly waiting on your review!

Regards

Daryl
    Quote Quote  
  4. [quote="Daryl Maskell"]
    Originally Posted by simonhughes
    Hi mate-mine came today.
    Bought it from svp.
    Regards,
    Simon
    Anyone know How the picture quality of either the 5005 or 5006 compares with a Philips DVDR80 as I have the R80 at present which has been far from reliable!

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Regards

Daryl
    Quote Quote  
  5. Got mine wired through my sony tele-initial impressions very good-have not tried recording yet.
    Enabled multi region same as on the 5005-via remote.
    Macrovision disable still looking-any ideas welcome.
    Regards,
    Simon
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am glad to see they have added rbg to the input and out put just might cosider getting one of these again
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi guys I received my 5006 about a week ago and I have to say I am impressed up to yet (although it doesn't like 8x datawrite -r discs).
    I region freed it the first day I got it and I'm pretty sure it is already macro free. I have tried recording a retail vhs tape of bridget jones's diary of which I'm sure will have macro on it and it recorded it.
    One thing i have noticed is if i have the tv set to PAL in the dvd settings when i come to play/record anything I get a band across the bottom of the picture (part of the actual picture but in black and white). I'm in the UK so my TV should be set to PAL. I thought maybe this was something to do with the macro?? but when I changed the settings on the dvd to ntsc it cured it and it records everything fine. Can anyone explain this or has the same problem?
    The unit was made in aug 2004 S/N: 0104-3240-0090-G2B9(001-010D)
    purchased in the UK from Ebuyer
    Quote Quote  
  8. Got mine a few days ago, and not very happy with it (though it *does* seem to have a stereo tuner).

There's a problem where the picture is often jerky - even if you're only watching TV through the DVD. I originally thought it must be the broadcast picture that was at fault. But it seems not as several users on Digital Spy have experienced the same problem.

I've also have various problems with recordings. Two programs that I recorded with Videoplus and PDC finished early - "Later with Jools Holland" stopped recording after almost exactly 15 minutes and "QI" stopped recording after almost exactly 1 minute. A friend who lives nearby (and therefore probably gets his TV signal from the same transmitter) recorded "Jools Holland" successfully using PDC and Videoplus on his VHS, so it doesn't look like there was anything wrong with the PDC signal itself. Looking at the Timer screen afterwards confirms that they times were set correctly, and the recorder thinks the programmes were recorded "OK". I've only recorded 4 programmes this way so far, so that's a 50% failure rate.

The disk was on their recommended media list. When I used a DVD+RW disc that wasn't on their list, it failed half way through a recording...

Haven't decided to send it back yet, but it seems increasingly likely.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi,

Sorry to hear about your "Jerky Picture" fault!

Seems to be the same problems which dogged previous models of Lite-On recorders have not been fixed on this model!

I think 5001 and 5005 have had posts of "Jerky Picture" and firmware updates have not resolved this issue!

Any one else with a recent 5006 having the same problems as the previous 5005 with "jerky pictures" or timer recording problems!

I'd love to know!

Regards

Daryl
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi all,
    I'm totally confused re. the 5006. I got this reply from Liteon technical help re. the Nicam stereo tuner issue:

MY E MAIL TO THEM:
    Hello,
    I am looking to purchase a DVD recorder and the 5006 looks like it has a
    very appealing spec. However, I have read many reviews of the 5005 that say it's TV tuner doesn't does not pick up stereo when using the aerial. Can you tell me if this is also true of the 5006 and is it likely to be addressed in future models.

Many thanks,
    Ian

THE REPLY

HI,
    5006 is the same. It might have that feature on our future models. It
    most likely will be address.

Thank you for contacting Lite-On Tech Support. If you reply please include all previous emails.

Best Regards,
    Ben, Lite-On (USA) Tech Support, http://www.liteonamericas.com

I have read on a couple of boards now that the tuner IS Nicam stereo!! So waht is the real answer?!

Cheers,
    Taff
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've got one and I think it's stereo (so does my girlfriend who's got better hearing than me). Sounds stupid that I (we) can't be sure, I know! Blame my hi-fi.

I've recorded a few programmes from the inbuilt tuner to check, and the sound does seem to have more "space" than I would expect a mono signal to have. When I recorded a clip of The Matrix, a phone did seem to ring over to the left, but *seeing* the phone over to the left could be fooling my tiny little brain.

SVP did confirm to me that it was stereo, and I think I believe them.

Gonna be recording some things tonight. Hoping to find something conclusive (like a car driving across the screen).
    Quote Quote  
  12. The Tech support answer was from LiteON US support-most likely the US models only have a mono tuner-you need to specify 5006B as this the UK model no.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi Guys,
    Have we got a final - no question about it - answer to the stereo tuner issue. There must be enough people out there in the UK now to say that the tuner is or isn't Nicam. I would really appreciate an answer to this as I need to get a DVD recorder ASAP. There was a post on another forum which said that SVP had replied to them to say that the tuner WAS Nicam stereo. However, I have had quite a bit of contact with SVP and to date they say they do nopt know.

Sorry to keep on about this but a definative answer would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Taff
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Ian (The Welshman)
    There was a post on another forum which said that SVP had replied to them to say that the tuner WAS Nicam stereo.
    That's what they told me (and it was probably my post you saw).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi Robb,
    Didn't mean to imply anything by my remark. Just a statement. Have you gone for a 5006? If you have please check the tuner situation for me. Cheers,
    Taff
    Quote Quote  
  16. Didn't think you had implied anything!

I think the tuner is stereo, as the sound seems to have "space". But I've yet to record anything 100% conclusive - i.e. something where the sound is obviously coming from the direction represented on screen.
    Quote Quote  
  17. NICAM tuner reported several times eg

"specs/manual don't mention the nicam analogue tuner which it has.."

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=211&Thread=356868&Type=1
    Quote Quote