VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The MAN has spoken, "No original on DVD."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=790&e=3&u=/ap/20040915/ap_en_...a_george_lucas

'Star Wars' Trilogy Debuts on DVD
    Wed Sep 15, 3:27 PM ET

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. - George Lucas never figured on a 30-year career as a space pilot. Once "Star Wars" shot into hyperspace, though, he found it hard to come back down to Earth.

AP Photo

Making its DVD debut Tuesday, Lucas' original sci-fi trilogy — "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" — began as an experimental foray into old-time studio moviemaking for Lucas, whose first two films had been far removed from usual Hollywood sensibilities.

Lucas' sci-fi satire "THX 1138" had been a commercial dud, but the energetic "American Graffiti" with its driving soundtrack and multi-character point of view scored with audiences, giving the director clout to try something bigger that had been on his mind.

"I'd already started this other idea, which was to do a kind of a classic action adventure film using sets," Lucas said over lunch at his 2,600-acre Skywalker Ranch. "I'd never worked on a set, I'd never worked at a studio. Never made a traditional movie. So I said, `I'm going to do this once, just to see what it's like, what it's like to actually design everything, work on a soundstage, do an old-fashioned 1930s movie.

"And I'll do it in that mode from the 1930s Saturday matinee serials, using kind of 1930s and '40s sensibilities, and I'll base it on sort of mythological motifs and icons. I'll just put it together in a modern form, and I'll have fun. That's how I got into that. I did it because it was an interesting move into an area that I thought I'd never go into."

Three decades later, Lucas is preparing to launch the last of his six "Star Wars" films. Next summer brings "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith," completing the prequel trilogy that tells the story of young Anakin Skywalker's metamorphosis into the villainous Darth Vader of the original three films.

Fans have eagerly awaited the first three "Star Wars" films on DVD, a release Lucas initially intended to delay until he finished "Episode III."

Some will be miffed that the original theatrical versions are not included in the "Star Wars" boxed set, which features only the special-edition versions Lucas issued in the late 1990s, with added effects and footage, including a scene between Harrison Ford (news)'s Han Solo and crime lord Jabba the Hutt in the first "Star Wars."

AP: Why did you change your mind and decide to put the original three movies out on DVD now?

Lucas: Just because the market has shifted so dramatically. A lot of people are getting very worried about piracy. That has really eaten dramatically into the sales. It really just came down to, there may not be a market when I wanted to bring it out, which was like, three years from now. So rather than just sit by and watch the whole thing fall apart, better to bring it out early and get it over with.

AP: Why did you rework the original trilogy into the special-edition versions in the late 1990s?

Lucas: To me, the special edition ones are the films I wanted to make. Anybody that makes films knows the film is never finished. It's abandoned or it's ripped out of your hands, and it's thrown into the marketplace, never finished. It's a very rare experience where you find a filmmaker who says, "That's exactly what I wanted. I got everything I needed. I made it just perfect. I'm going to put it out there." And even most artists, most painters, even composers would want to come back and redo their work now. They've got a new perspective on it, they've got more resources, they have better technology, and they can fix or finish the things that were never done. ... I wanted to actually finish the film the way it was meant to be when I was originally doing it. At the beginning, people went, "Don't you like it?" I said, "Well, the film only came out to be 25 or 30 percent of what I wanted it to be." They said, "What are you talking about?" So finally, I stopped saying that, but if you read any interviews for about an eight- or nine-year period there, it was all about how disappointed I was and how unhappy I was and what a dismal experience it was. You know, it's too bad you need to get kind of half a job done and never get to finish it. So this was my chance to finish it.

AP: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

Lucas: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me, it doesn't really exist anymore. It's like this is the movie I wanted it to be, and I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it. But I want it to be the way I want it to be. I'm the one who has to take responsibility for it. I'm the one who has to have everybody throw rocks at me all the time, so at least if they're going to throw rocks at me, they're going to throw rocks at me for something I love rather than something I think is not very good, or at least something I think is not finished.

AP: Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

Lucas: Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.

AP: After "Episode III," will you ever revisit "Star Wars"?

Lucas: Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it. I'm sort of preserving the feature film part for what has happened and never go there again, but I can go off into various offshoots and things. You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, "Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it." Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So what.

Ya'll originalists need to get a life, and quit yer bellyaching.

It is his movie.

Deal with it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. True, bazooka.

But it was OUR money that financed his moviemaking. That's why I think a lot of fans are upset at him. I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on those movies. Does my hard-earned cash count for anything when the time comes to offer Star Wars on DVD the way I remember it?

Obviously not.

I'm not against the Special Editions. I'm just very disappointed that he cares more about himself than the millions of people who put him where he is right now. The Original Release DVD series would've been a nice tribute to the ones who financed his imagination.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Being a writer at one time, I understand where he is coming from.

The special editions were what he originally wanted to begin with.

I fail to see why so many people have a problem with that.

A work of art or writing is never finished.

I bought quite a few box sets, as well, but you do not see me complaining.

I have even bought the box set dvd's of the phantom menace and attack of the clones. I bought the originals on vhs and got rid of them when the special editions came out. I bought the special editions on vhs, and you know what....

I am going to buy the dvd's as well.

If you want the originals, buy them off ebay.

/end rant.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    success breeds arrogance
    Quote Quote  
  6. Whatever he did with the Special Editions (I've never seen them) will never replace the memories I have of those 'original' releases. It's how I remember them. It's how several hundred million people remember them. Many don't care that the SE version was made, but many would just like to have their 'originals' upgraded to the DVD format.

I'm certainly not going to admit to what I have, out of deferrence to Baldrick's policies, but it is sufficient to say that if I was that concerned, I never would've spent that kind of money on Star Wars.

I pre-ordered on amazon.com the day they allowed pre-orders to be taken. In multiple quantities. For my own personal viewing, and for some kick-ass Christmas gifts. So no, I'm not overly bothered by his decision.

But I tell you what. His decision to not release them is going to create a HUGE market for original release bootlegs, and THAT will make his piracy concerns he mentioned in his interview look like nothing. I remember watching with amusement the number of '5-Star DVD' versions pass through eBay. A lost opportunity that is only going to get worse when the SE versions are released.

He's rich enough that he may not care. So be it. I just think he's missing a golden opportunity to thank those of us who supported him in the early days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    But it was OUR money that financed his moviemaking. That's why I think a lot of fans are upset at him. I've spent literally hundreds of dollars on those movies. Does my hard-earned cash count for anything when the time comes to offer Star Wars on DVD the way I remember it?
    No-one made you buy them. You bought them because you love the films, and if you don't like the special editions then don't buy them. He is the creator and can do whatever the hell he wants with his films.

He owes us nothing, he produced some films and if people liked them then great, that doesn't mean people should make huge, pointless online petitions and spend hours argueing to try to get the originals released. It's his decision, and if he says no then the answer is no.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Bazookas right, these are HIS movies. We've been fortunate to have what we have because of HIM and his companies passion for these films. The fact that we have them at all is amazing.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  

9. Screw Lucas...
    I saw the original 3 movies which at the time I was enthralled by! As for the latest story lines I could care less about them partly on my own issues with continuity amongst others reasons. I have no desire to own something being produced that does not match what I originally saw, what originally captived my imagination. I believe that this new DVD release is purely driven by $$ and nothing else.
    People (like myself) already own the originals on several different formats so why buy the same thing again?? So Lucas makes/alters/changes the original to make them more of what his vision was/is...
    How can you make something ORIGINAL, better???

In reading the article that started this thread... At one point Lucas states that a movie is never complete or whatever... if that was the case than it should have never been released until he was satisfied... but guess what. He is to much of a perfectionist and it probably would have been shelved (by him) had he not had to pay back his $$$ backers...

I hate writing this kind of crap because everyone has an opinion. I just had to because so many people are up in arms about this...
    I'kll be content watching my VHS copy and relive my childhood and will forgo my DVD copy of the new release, just so I can ensure Yoda can have an additional copy if he so desire to throw his $$ into Lucas's money grubbing fists....

FWIW,
    makntraks

p.s. Apologies if I bored you... I only commented because I felt
    compelled to throw my $0.02 in...
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Take Original VHS, Hit Play, Turn on Capture DVD Device or Capture Card, Burn MPEG to DVD(s)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by makntraks
    I'kll be content watching my VHS copy and relive my childhood and will forgo my DVD copy of the new release, just so I can ensure Yoda can have an additional copy if he so desire to throw his $$ into Lucas's money grubbing fists....
    Thank you! That should help ensure a widescreen set will still be at BestBuy next Tuesday afternoon when I get off of work!

Kevin

P.S. How come nobody gets this riled up when a singer makes changes to a song at a live concert????
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by bazooka
    The special editions were what he originally wanted to begin with.
    Then they should have never been released in the first place....
    When was the last time you saw a Mona Lisa other than the one ingrained in our minds? Or a Strad violin that was made on one of his "off" days?
    Cars, software, etc always need improvement due to changing technologies, etc... but a movie is a movie and the original can NEVER be improved upon... just look at all the remakes that have been released.. name ONE that surppassed the original (forget newer technology and film advances, etc)
    I can't think of one.... maybe other can and I will be happy to debate that if necessary....

makntraks

p.s. to each their own I guess....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,

Thank you! That should help ensure a widescreen set will still be at BestBuy next Tuesday afternoon when I get off of work!

Kevin

P.S. How come nobody gets this riled up when a singer makes changes to a song at a live concert????

Valid point but in the real world a music is fluid...
    To listen to an album then to see the artist in concert where they make changes allows one to "feel" a different energy than a studio album. Take Phish and the Grateful Dead.. basically sold albumns here and there. The draw was THAT energy that they could not capture on an albumn to the the need to get "personal" and that "feel" can not be transfered to vinyl or cd due to the limitations of the medium...

makntraks

p.s. my fingers hurt...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

(forget newer technology and film advances, etc)
    Umm... That was the WHOLE POINT behind the Special Editions. It wasn't just to remake them (which by the way as the OWNER of Star Wars he would have every right to do so). It was to have cg when there wasn't cg in the 70's.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know this bloody topic is getting as boring as the, which is the better media format .

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

ENOUGH ALREADY
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,

(forget newer technology and film advances, etc)
    Umm... That was the WHOLE POINT behind the Special Editions. It wasn't just to remake them (which by the way as the OWNER of Star Wars he would have every right to do so). It was to have cg when there wasn't cg in the 70's.

Kevin
    No....The point of the special editions was the master negative had deteriorated after twenty years. He needed to do something, so he created a new negative.

@makntraks

He did not have the technology to do the special editions in 1977 or he would have done it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

A little sidetrack here - a short history lesson if you will.

Lucas owned Empire and Jedi but FOX owned Star Wars (ep4). He worked out a deal to make the prequels with FOX in exchange for securing the rights to Episode 4. So then he owned the Original Trilogy (and 90% of the profits from Phantom Menace - not a bad deal!). I'm not sure who approached who to do the Special Editions for 97. I believe it was mutual because FOX wanted to do something for the then 20th aniverssary. That's part of how all this began.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

A little sidetrack here - a short history lesson if you will.

Lucas owned Empire and Jedi but FOX owned Star Wars (ep4). He worked out a deal to make the prequels with FOX in exchange for securing the rights to Episode 4. So then he owned the Original Trilogy (and 90% of the profits from Phantom Menace - not a bad deal!). I'm not sure who approached who to do the Special Editions for 97. I believe it was mutual because FOX wanted to do something for the then 20th aniverssary. That's part of how all this began.

Kevin
    Read my previous post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Bazooka - Not disagreeing you on the degrading of the negatives. But the 20th aniverssary was part of the REASON they dug up the negatives in the first place. And when they did the clean up LUCAS wanted to add stuff. I'm sure the originals were cleaned intact. They are most certainely locked away somewhere in Skywalker Ranch.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by yoda313
    How come nobody gets this riled up when a singer makes changes to a song at a live concert????
    Because you can still buy the album on CD. If the Beatles' "Sergeant Peppers" album had been altered and redone for the CD release, fans would have been disappointed as well. It's the fact that we can't have the original version that we saw in the theaters and fell in love with that makes us sad.

As for not wanting to make the investment in preserving the originals, that is a lame excuse. OK fine, you don't want to spend the money? Release the print to someone who does want to spend the money. Because that money will be made back easily when it is sold. It may not compete against the SE version, but it will make its money back along with a tidy profit.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  21. I like the originals because it's what I remember seeing in the theaters,the remakes are like watching those old B&W movies colorized by Ted "the mouth of the south" Turner...it's just not the same.
    True Lucas can do what he wants with his movies but he's missing out on additional sales from fans like me.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    How come nobody gets this riled up when a singer makes changes to a song at a live concert????
    Because you can still buy the album on CD. If the Beatles' "Sergeant Peppers" album had been altered and redone for the CD release, fans would have been disappointed as well. It's the fact that we can't have the original version that we saw in the theaters and fell in love with that makes us sad.

As for not wanting to make the investment in preserving the originals, that is a lame excuse. OK fine, you don't want to spend the money? Release the print to someone who does want to spend the money. Because that money will be made back easily when it is sold. It may not compete against the SE version, but it will make its money back along with a tidy profit.

Darryl
    It is not the investment. For the last time, he originally wanted the special editions to begin with.

It Is Only A Movie. Get A Grip. Buy the originals off Ebay and convert them to dvd. Problem solved. Quit Complaining.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey bazooka,
    You wouldn't happen to know gitreel* would ya?

*same avatar and location.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Hey bazooka,
    You wouldn't happen to know gitreel* would ya?

*same avatar and location.
    yep.

I changed my name.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by bazooka
    It Is Only A Movie. Get A Grip. Buy the originals off Ebay and convert them to dvd. Problem solved. Quit Complaining.
    Hey bazooka, You don't have to belittle those of us who care about this subject. You've made your opinion known. I am sorry that those of us that care about the originals irritate you so much. But that is no excuse for being rude. Perhaps you should stop reading this topic for your own mental health.

As for your suggestion, I am making my own DVD from the laserdisc, thank you. But my effort can only do so much since I do not have access to the film prints. So I will make a nice movie, but it will never compare to a restored anamorphic DVD which is what I desire.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Well maybe bazooka and others are right. This topic has been discussed MANY times. I guess those of us who are happy with the new dvds should just buy them and be done with it.

Kevin
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    Hey bazooka, You don't have to belittle those of us who care about this subject. You've made your opinion known. I am sorry that those of us that care about the originals irritate you so much. But that is no excuse for being rude. Perhaps you should stop reading this topic for your own mental health.

As for your suggestion, I am making my own DVD from the laserdisc, thank you. But my effort can only do so much since I do not have access to the film prints. So I will make a nice movie, but it will never compare to a restored anamorphic DVD which is what I desire.

Darryl
    I am not belittling you. I am not being rude, but you are waging a pointless losing battle complaining about something so trivial that you can fix yourself buy converting your videotapes to dvd.

I loved both versions, but I liked the Special Editons more.

Just convert your movie and quit whining about something that is outside of the realm of what the creator wanted.

I am sorry if the truth hurts, but I was a writer and I understand where Lucas is coming from. The special Editions are the finished product. Why get that worked up over a pointless gesture?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't exactly latest news. Lucas has been saying definitively for years that he will never release the original unaltered versions. He says it in just about every interview that he does.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    No-one made you buy them. You bought them because you love the films, and if you don't like the special editions then don't buy them. He is the creator and can do whatever the hell he wants with his films.

He owes us nothing, he produced some films and if people liked them then great, that doesn't mean people should make huge, pointless online petitions and spend hours argueing to try to get the originals released. It's his decision, and if he says no then the answer is no.

No, genius. Nobody made me buy them. I think we established many months ago my love for these movies and how much time and money I've spent in my pursuit of the Star Wars universe. I don't need some dumbass noob with a shit attitude telling me what my feelings are in this matter.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson

Thank you. 8)

I have nothing against indo, but I respectfully disagree with him.

You summed it up and put a nice red bow on it.
    Quote Quote