and see if it's out anyways. Thanks.

Later,
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    I'm still confused.

I read somewheres today, that it's release date is September 21, 2004 of
    this year.. next week. But, you're saying it's already out now ?? and for is
    selling for $69 US dollars ??

-vhelp
    EDIT:
    It's about US$65. For me, I will pay S$109(local currency). This is a global release date ... September 21st 2004.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by vhelp
    I'm still confused.

I read somewheres today, that it's release date is September 21, 2004 of
    this year.. next week. But, you're saying it's already out now ?? and for is
    selling for $69 US dollars ??

-vhelp
    I have seen the DVDs only because a video store local to me has started renting them already. However, the official release date is 9/21. Others who have already seen them are probably in the same or similiar situation. Many video stores get their product about a week before the official release date, but are not supposed to put it up for sale or rent until that time.

The average selling price in my area is between $40 and $60. The suggested retail price is $70.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm back, and I have some strange news about the Star Wars DVD set.

Apparently, a flaw was discovered, and a recall was issued, and
    no stores are allowed to sell them.

There is no afficial date when the revised/modified or fixed or re-pressed
    DVD's will be out.

I'm just curious.. If there was a flow:

* What was it ??
    * and, How much does it impact the set ??
    * and, why hasn't anyone here discovered it yet, (HERE) to date ??

It must be a serious flaw.., like maybe they forgot to incrypt it hehe..
    Or, worse.., JL left his finger print on the master.. I don't know.. anyways.

Any ideas/comments anyone ??

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOLOLOL

Can you imagine all those discs that have to be replaced? I'm sure every store in America over stocked too.

Yoda is going to be pissed if the release date is pushed back from the 21st.
    Quote Quote  
  6. maek wrote:

Ok, here's to all ye defenders of "it's his film...let him do what he wants". Do you realize that you're defending a rather inept film-maker then?
    Hmm...well, maek, I'd love to see you concieve, finance and direct and 120 million film. Hahahaha...you'd be crying like a baby after the first day of principle photography(if you even got that far).

In any case him being an inept filmaker is completely relative, Some scenes call for more, some call for less. Some might find no sight of the wampa scarier others may find the new footage infinitely more frightening. That scene was the weakest in empire (even before the SE version). You can tell by the editing alone it was botched on the set from the get go. From the corny post process slo-mo to the lame swipe Luke takes at the beast.

Someone who criticizes filmakers should at least have a rudimentary knowledge of filmaking.

Go back to stuffing your face with Cheetos you armchair Ebert.
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, here's to all ye defenders of "it's his film...let him do what he wants". Do you realize that you're defending a rather inept film-maker then?
    Lmao, you must be a Star Wars hater then, because if your not, then your insane.
    He's the guy who invented the whole Star Wars universe, that you all consider a work of art, and amazed your childhood, sure hes not the best director in the world, but he has a fantastic imagination that has brought these films and other like the Indiana Jones trilogy and ahem Howard The Duck to the screen.

Inept is hardly the word i would use, the only problem i have with him is his moving into silly Childrens like stuff in his films like ROTJ and TPM, which i rate as the two weakest in the trilogy.

Also on a note about the DVD delay, bit of bummer if it is, but as for prices amazon has the NTSC one at $41.99 and the Pal release at £26.99, not bad really.
    Only flaw i noticed was the NTSC one has a FS version, you guys dont still buy FS films do you, forgot about Special Editions, thats the biggest sacrilidge of all, watching Star Wars in FS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you watch the Howard, Indy and even SW films close enough, you'll see these odd "WTF?" type errors that really should not have been.

I can agree that Lucas isn't perfect, so he should just quit trying. Every new "improvement" tends to muck up something else.

It doesn't take rocket science or "film director school" or whatever to figure out "what's wrong!?" in a picture. For pete's sake, that's the kind of thing kids see in Highlights magazine. Lucas apparently didn't have that subscription when he was younger.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. vhelp...what exactly is your source? Because I've seen nothing about it and you would think they'd mention something considering there is five days before the release.
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RowMan

Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, and Ridley Scott have allowed both the original and special edition versions of their films to be released on DVD. Why couldn't Lucas?
    Because in his mind, the originals were incomplete. Why should he release something he perceived to be incomplete?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    vhelp...what exactly is your source? Because I've seen nothing about it and you would think they'd mention something considering there is five days before the release.
    haha, the guy who was whining about whiners (and who wrote a decent sized message about it) might not be able to get his hands on the new and improved star wars special edition DVD for another month.

this is hilarious.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brent212
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    Dude,

Get over it.

It is just a movie.

If you were in Lucas' position, you would probably do the same thing.

The special editions are the finished product.
    Dude, take your own advice. You're complaining about people complaining about something they don't like.

I didn't want to say anything, but this is pretty hilarious. You keep saying how you're done arguing, but then you pop back in to add another "IT'S HIS MOVIE HE CAN DO WHAT HE WANTS, CHILL OUT". And the ridiculous thing is that you're actually annoyed that some of these people are mad at GL's decision.

I like the SE editions better also, but I can see why someone would want the originals on DVD. And by saying GL has the right to do whatever he wants with the movies, you're not enhancing anyone's knowledge. I haven't read each post word for word... has anyone said otherwise? Of course he can do what he wants with the movies, but I think he's a pretty big ******* for not sacraficing some of his "artistic vision" and simply adding the option to view the movies in their original form to the DVDs. It's that really a hard thing to do? Obviously he knows many fans out there (I ain't one of them) would appreciate that, but he apparantly doesn't care.

On a side note, I really don't remember there being that much difference between the SE versions and the originals. He added some cg stuff, right? And improved the sound and probably cleaned up the picture. Is that it? That scene with Jabba and Hon really made star wars a lot closer to his original idea?

As annoying as it is to listen to people argue or complain about something, it's even more annoying to listen to someone argue or complain about their arguing and complaining. Some people just like to argue and complain. Hell, sometimes I like to do it too. Who cares? Trying to stop them is stupid. Unless you're forced to read or listen to it, walk away... er, click the back button.
    Who asked you? STFU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lucas is probably obsessive-compulsive. Most of use normal folks just let it go. Cut your losses on imperfection, and try better on the next project. If he'd have worried more about 1-3, and less about fixing 4-6, maybe the first 3 would not have sucked so much.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because in his mind, the originals were incomplete. Why should he release something he perceived to be incomplete?
    yeah, he "improved" them because of that "goal of reaching the unreachable perfection" that plagues artists everywhere. not for cash. riiiiiiight.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maek

Remember the ORIGINAL Empire Strikes Back? Remember the whole wampa scene where you can hear the tauntaun screaming and you could only IMAGINE the horror going on there?

Here's the new scene:

Luke wakes up with the tauntaun screaming in the background
    ...Cut to...
    The wampa eating some part of the tauntaun quite leisurely without a live tauntaun in sight. Clearly, the tauntaun must be dead otherwise you would expect a live animal putting up a fight and a rather voracious wampa trying to silence it.
    ...Cut to...
    Luke again with THE TAUNTAUN STILL SCREAMING.

You would expect that Mr. Lucas would at least maintain the basic premise of CONTINUITY (oh, yes, film students, it's a concept that is often forgotten) in his films, especially if he's going back to PERFECT them.

Pleeease. Stop defending someone who is so concerned about the effects that he can't see beyond what a simple editor should have caught (and probably did but got vetoed).
    Ok, to your argument about continuity.

In the originals, Jabba was nowhere until Return of the Jedi. There was no linking him to the other films.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

He was fixing continuity problems.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, he "improved" them because of that "goal of reaching the unreachable perfection" that plagues artists everywhere. not for cash. riiiiiiight.
    Did you ever watch any of the documentaries?

He did not do it for cash. He is rich. He even said he was not happy with certain scenes in the films and felt like they were incomplete.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He is for the $$$$. He just wouldn't give a damn to those want the original for sentimental reason. Success breeds arrogance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maek wrote:

Hmm...well, maek, I'd love to see you concieve, finance and direct and 120 million film. Hahahaha...you'd be crying like a baby after the first day of principle photography(if you even got that far).

In any case him being an inept filmaker is completely relative, Some scenes call for more, some call for less. Some might find no sight of the wampa scarier others may find the new footage infinitely more frightening. That scene was the weakest in empire (even before the SE version). You can tell by the editing alone it was botched on the set from the get go. From the corny post process slo-mo to the lame swipe Luke takes at the beast.

Someone who criticizes filmakers should at least have a rudimentary knowledge of filmaking.

Go back to stuffing your face with Cheetos you armchair Ebert.
    It is interesting to note that one has to debase themselves to insults than address the arguement effectively. I was merely addressing his penchant (yes, look it up, since the only effective insult you know is "Cheetos" and can only spell "slow-mo" incorrectly, or more accurately, slow motion) for supposedly making the films the way he intended.

If he was clearly doing so, then let me know how this glaring continuity error that was NOT IN THE ORIGINAL FILM comes to light. And, for your information, EMPIRE was NOT filmed on a budget of 120 million. In fact, even the original STAR WARS was filmed on $10 million, and only $2 million on effects!! Just goes to show you how only $8 million can go a long way in telling a story and how $120 million winds up with dialog flatter than your refutal. (That was a rebuttal, by the way).
    "What? Huh?!? WHAT will come out no more?!?" Jack Burton -- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan
    He is for the $$$$. He just wouldn't give a damn to those want the original for sentimental reason. Success breeds arrogance.
    That is garbage.

He has all the money he would ever need.

He did not do it for money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by maek

Remember the ORIGINAL Empire Strikes Back? Remember the whole wampa scene where you can hear the tauntaun screaming and you could only IMAGINE the horror going on there?

Here's the new scene:

Luke wakes up with the tauntaun screaming in the background
    ...Cut to...
    The wampa eating some part of the tauntaun quite leisurely without a live tauntaun in sight. Clearly, the tauntaun must be dead otherwise you would expect a live animal putting up a fight and a rather voracious wampa trying to silence it.
    ...Cut to...
    Luke again with THE TAUNTAUN STILL SCREAMING.

You would expect that Mr. Lucas would at least maintain the basic premise of CONTINUITY (oh, yes, film students, it's a concept that is often forgotten) in his films, especially if he's going back to PERFECT them.

Pleeease. Stop defending someone who is so concerned about the effects that he can't see beyond what a simple editor should have caught (and probably did but got vetoed).
    Ok, to your argument about continuity.

In the originals, Jabba was nowhere until Return of the Jedi. There was no linking him to the other films.

Do you have any clue what you are talking about?

He was fixing continuity problems.
    I'm sorry...how is this addressing the continuity error that he CREATED by changing the wampa scene? Yes, I know that he brought Jabba into the first film...but Greedo mentioned him in the ORIGINAL. Han had also mentioned in the first film to Luke near the end, that he had some old debts that he had to pay off. An oblique reference to Jabba, but who else was mentioned?

Also, the fear of running into a bounty hunter at Ord M. is what had Han running in the 2nd film (remember his conversation with Leia on Hoth?). Why is there a bounty hunter after him? Oh, yeah!! Greedo had mentioned Jabba and the fact that bounty hunters all over the galaxy would be looking for him. Oops, looks like Jabba was linked in the 2nd movie, too.

Bringing him in the first film in the Special Edition seemed superfluous, but I do see the value in it so I agree that it does actually help.

But that's not my point. My point is that he actually "foot himself in the shot" by "progressing" himself into a new continuity error. SUCH ATTENTION TO DETAIL!! Mind-boggling.
    "What? Huh?!? WHAT will come out no more?!?" Jack Burton -- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but You still had really no idea about jabba and the storyline. When he brought in Jaba, the story made more sense.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Dude,

Get over it.

It is just a movie.

If you were in Lucas' position, you would probably do the same thing.

The special editions are the finished product.
    Dude, take your own advice. You're complaining about people complaining about something they don't like.

I didn't want to say anything, but this is pretty hilarious. You keep saying how you're done arguing, but then you pop back in to add another "IT'S HIS MOVIE HE CAN DO WHAT HE WANTS, CHILL OUT". And the ridiculous thing is that you're actually annoyed that some of these people are mad at GL's decision.

I like the SE editions better also, but I can see why someone would want the originals on DVD. And by saying GL has the right to do whatever he wants with the movies, you're not enhancing anyone's knowledge. I haven't read each post word for word... has anyone said otherwise? Of course he can do what he wants with the movies, but I think he's a pretty big ******* for not sacraficing some of his "artistic vision" and simply adding the option to view the movies in their original form to the DVDs. It's that really a hard thing to do? Obviously he knows many fans out there (I ain't one of them) would appreciate that, but he apparantly doesn't care.

On a side note, I really don't remember there being that much difference between the SE versions and the originals. He added some cg stuff, right? And improved the sound and probably cleaned up the picture. Is that it? That scene with Jabba and Hon really made star wars a lot closer to his original idea?

As annoying as it is to listen to people argue or complain about something, it's even more annoying to listen to someone argue or complain about their arguing and complaining. Some people just like to argue and complain. Hell, sometimes I like to do it too. Who cares? Trying to stop them is stupid. Unless you're forced to read or listen to it, walk away... er, click the back button.
    So if you wrote a book and later felt some changes were needed, I guess you would be an ******* too.

You really are a piece of work..

A literary art is never complete.

How are you enhancing peoples' education? Oh, that's right , you are not.

Why not think for once? He is a creator. It does not matter what any of us think. If I were in his position, I would do the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but You still had really no idea about jabba and the storyline. When he brought in Jaba, the story made more sense.
    What part didn't make sense without seeing Jabba? Han owed someone money, and there were people after him. It's an addition, not a fix for something that was drastically missing in the original.

And the rich want to get richer. If Lucas had all the money he ever wanted, there's no way 1-3 would have had around three billion toy tie ins and idiotic characters designed to sell..

Perfectly sensible for Han to shoot Greedo in the original version. Giving Greedo the first shot isn't fixing the film, it's selling out to make it more politically correct so idiots who can't tell from the dialogue that it was justified already will think it's ok.. And clearly an afterthought mod to make it more palatable for to some, not something that was left out of the original.

Of course do what he wants. But half of what made it happen in 1976 was the realness, the slightly unfinished feel. Slick it up enough and no doubt he can turn it into another Episode I.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if you wrote a book and later felt some changes were needed, I guess you would be an ******* too.
    heh, my response to that is yes. If I wrote a book, and a lot of people really liked it, but I thought it was incomplete and tried to fix it (hopefully doing a better job than apparantly GL did), and if books somehow all deteriorated the way that vhs does but some new, better format of conveying text came out that would remain constant over time, I WOULD be an *******, IMO, if I didn't listen to what my fans requested and re-released both the original and the new versions on the new format. But that's just me... it's pretty obvious you and I have differing opinions of what an ******* is.

You really are a piece of work..
    Yes I am.

A literary art is never complete.
    Such a revelation... too bad it has nothing to do with the original complaints people had about simply wanting access to the originals.

How are you enhancing peoples' education? Oh, that's right , you are not.
    Nope, just amusing myself at work. Gotta get through the day somehow.

Why not think for once? He is a creator. It does not matter what any of us think. If I were in his position, I would do the same thing.
    I agree. I don't think GL gives a shit what his fans think. I think someone already mentioned that success breeds arrogance.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp...what exactly is your source? Because I've seen nothing about it and you would think they'd mention something considering there is five days before the release.
    There is an audio flaw from an article in the link in the other thread. Goes from muffled to clear and back a few times in a scene or two.

Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is garbage.

You must be from the Socialist side. Welcome to the Capitalist world !

EDIT:
    Why don't GL let everyone download for FREE ! Not for MONEY ! Give me a break !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A flaw is one thing, a recall is another thing entirely. I read about this audio problem and either Lucas or someone connected with the DVDs just said that it was a limitation of their source. I'm pretty skeptical that there has actually been a recall myself. There is no way in hell any studio would recall a release just for an audio glitch in a single scene.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is garbage.

I agree, if it was all about the money, why is he spending more money on SE that he know will piss of the "Original" fans, when the Orginals will sell just as well, and why isn't he releasing both versions, if its all about cash.

Sentimental reasons, that means F**k all when its about the quality of the film, i used to love ROTJ when i was a kid, and i watched it again due to sentimental reasons, and i realised its even worse then Phantom Menace.

edit - pchan would you work for free, would anyone, i dont care how rich you are, but this release is definetly not for the money, probably the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I work for money. I need to bring bacon home to feed me & my family. The same goes for SW DVD... profits for the share holders. Like I say before, I will gladly pay for the original version in DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "My dick is bigger than your dick!"
    "No, MY dick is bigger than YOUR dick!"
    "You're both wrong! MY dick is bigger than BOTH of yours!"
    "Is not!"
    "Is too!"
    "Well, you're just a big, stinky doody-face!"
    "Well, so are you!"
    "Am not!"
    "Are too!"
    "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

DISCLAIMER: Any resemblance to anyone in this thread (living, dead, or otherwise) is purely intentional.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote