VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. The reason LG is releasing these Star Wars Trilogy movie's now one reason episode and and two both suck and people right now do not care about episode 3 at all. Every one was like oh ok there alway a chance there will be one mad movie out of three or even six in a story but two in a row come on and oyu think episode 3 is going to be great its going to suck why LG is making it. And he know he has to do some thing to gt Star Wars back in people's minds again before the forget about it. If episode 1 and 2 was really good we would not be seeing these movies on DVD this year.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I like the prequels! Actually I've heard these were being put on dvd so FOX would have a guarenteed money hit this fall. Since the Indy box sets did so well last year they wanted to continue it (I know Indy was Paramount but Lucasfilm probably said - hey FOX this is a good idea).

And Spiderman2k1 - LG???? It's GL George Lucas.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by bazooka
    Originally Posted by Thomas Anderson

No-one made you buy them. You bought them because you love the films, and if you don't like the special editions then don't buy them. He is the creator and can do whatever the hell he wants with his films.

He owes us nothing, he produced some films and if people liked them then great, that doesn't mean people should make huge, pointless online petitions and spend hours argueing to try to get the originals released. It's his decision, and if he says no then the answer is no.
    Thank you. 8)

I have nothing against indo, but I respectfully disagree with him.

You summed it up and put a nice red bow on it.

This is ridiculous.

George Lucas can do whatever he wants with the Star Wars universe. I'm not arguing this point. What it would appear is that everybody in this thread completely missed the point he was trying to make in his interview.

Lucas conceded that he had to release the second trilogy three years ahead of schedule because of concerns surrounding piracy. What he didn't discuss, and what I find completely amazing, is his ignorance regarding the piracy that is ALREADY taking place with the original versions of the second trilogy.

By NOT offering the general public an official studio release of the original versions, he has guaranteed there will be a healthy market for 'Remastered' DVDs of the original movie releases. There is a substantial market for this, and he has chosen to ignore it. And that will only increase the bootleg traffic that is already beginning to make inroads, thanks in part to places like videohelp.com.

DVD transfers are no longer the domain of a select few videophiles. Anybody with time and money can now produce excellent results. And because of that, he will not see any revenue streams from the original versions that he might have seen had he decided to release them.

This is his call. If he's willing to accept the fact that piracy of his original versions is going to increase, so be it. I think he's willing to accept that in favor of focusing on the verisons he truly believes are what Star Wars is all about. It's his creative vision of what Star Wars should've been, and anything else in his mind is shit. That's fine.

I'm not attacking or defending George Lucas. But I can tell you, as a person who constantly gets requests for dubs of his original versions, that there IS a significant market segment that wants to see the original releases preserved. HIS work is a financial investment for me, and every year I continue to own them, I see an increase in both demand and the financial compensation people are willing to offer. THAT suits me just fine.

The only time I EVER petitioned George Lucas to do ANYTHING related to Star Wars was to allow the continuation of the story through the publishing world. He's done that, so my wishes were answered long ago.

I disagree with his decision. That doesn't mean I disrespect the man. To suggest we shouldn't engage in civil disagreements about his own wishes is a blatant insult to him and the Star Wars universe as a whole.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    People are never going to agree on this, but i can see both points of view.

The people clinging on to the originals are doing so out of sentimental reasons, not because the original is better, if you saw the SE first you'd prob prefer that.

I personally think the original trilogy look very dated now anyway, and needed the SE, but i suppose thats the attraction to some people.

I disagree that its all about money which makntraks said, and not about the fans, if that was true then why not release both as you'll make a lot more money that way, and some people will even buy buy both, if he isn't happy with the originals then thats his decision.

Also i dont see how real fans would want any bootleg copy as the best way to enjoy these films is remasted Anamorphic print, with a 5.1 soundtrack.
    Im more pissed at the lack of DTS on the DVD's, Lucasfilms never have DTS.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Consider the positive:

You saw the originals, probably bought the various releases of them on VHS (I have two, but not the updated release) and maybe even the LD releases. ENJOY THE MEMORY...THAT IS ALL THAT REMAINS...UNFORTUNATELY IT HAS BECOME LIKE WATCHING YOUR KIDS GROW UP

But Lucas, being the SW owner wants us to enjoy HIS vision of episode 4-6, since he been given a chance to make them the movies he's wanted all along. He spent considerable effort to make the revised versions because he thought it was necessary, and possibly to scrape in a little more money with yet another VHS release of SW. So the SW present does not let us relive out past, but we can revel in the present with a clean, totally restored picture and sound release of the revised SW 4-6.

P.S. My son brought home from his school library an ancient book on SW4. It was based on the film, all of the illustration were film stills. The book starts with a picture, apparently from the film, of Luke and Wedge standing on the roof of Luke's uncle's house, watching the above battling star ships. The text for this is that Luke and Wedge are good friends and Luke tells Wedge that he want to be a Federation Pilot and get into the action. Does anyone know about this scene? (I know...this is almost a hijack...)
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    The text for this is that Luke and Wedge are good friends and Luke tells Wedge that he want to be a Federation Pilot and get into the action. Does anyone know about this scene?
    That's BIGGS! I think I have that same book. It's Biggs telling Luke he's going to join the Rebellion.

Kevin

EDIT - It's also on the star wars behind the magic cdrom (deleted scenes seciont)
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by bazooka
    @makntraks

He did not have the technology to do the special editions in 1977 or he would have done it.
    My point exactly... so you think that having access to todays technology is going to improve on something we all enjoyed and were captivated by???
    Don't think so....
    Never **** with something that aint/wasn't broke..

I'll bask in knowing that I can always view the ORIGINAL and not some glitzy redo....

makntraks

p.s. as someone said before... to paraphrase..
    this is like whipping a dead horse...
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the only problem i have with the special editions is greedo shooting first. i find it difficult to believe that george was so over budget that he couldn't afford one more laser blast. i think that after tinkering with the movies for so long adding new effects he lost sight of the story. greedo shooting first is just wrong.
    and if the rumor is true, i think adding hayden to the end of jedi is wrong too. vader was an old man when he died, so what's the point?
    i like the idea of star wars going to tv. better that than nothing ever again. could be very interesting if done right, and out of george's hands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by makntraks
    as someone said before... to paraphrase..
    Is this your bullwhip makntraks????

Kevin

[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    so you think that having access to todays technology is going to improve on something we all enjoyed and were captivated by???
    In his mind, yes.

That is my point. They are his movies. He could do whatever floats his boat. He is the creator.

I do not cling to memories. I think the special editions are better, and they are the present, not the past.

You are right about the dead horse theory.

I have said my peace so I am going to shut up.

To quote Garth in Waynes World.

"Live in the Now, Man"

No hard feelings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Hello,

as someone said before... to paraphrase..
    Is this your bullwhip makntraks????

Kevin

I guess you could say that...

makntraks
    /me "puts down whip.... and slowly backs away from topic"
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Lucas has been messing with these movies, literally, since day 1. He added 'episode 4 - A NEW HOPE' after audiences first viewed it in theaters. He added 3-po's commentary on the Death Star's tracking system (or removed it...I don't remember watching the first one in theaters, but i do remember a VHS version where there is no one talking during those images and another one with 3po rambling on).

I don't have that much of a problem with the originals not coming out on dvd. It makes my VHS copies all the more worthwhile to own. I had thought of making my own dvds, but have instead decided to make another 'special features' dvd and possibly include the scenes that were changed.

At any rate, there's my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    , these are HIS movies.
    This depends ENTIRELY on how you regard art. Lucas has chosen to abandon the original works of art. Should they thus be destroyed and forgotten in time? Out of some absurd "ownership" theory of modern American copyright law?

Hell no.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think people are taking this too serious, they're only films, and its not like GL has said that all original editions have to be binned.

He, for whatever reasons he has reason he has, doesn't want to release the originals as well, which would seem like a cash in anyway if he did.

Considering all this fuss about how shit these new editions are, and the piracy
    rules on here, who has actually saw these films?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    , these are HIS movies.
    This depends ENTIRELY on how you regard art. Lucas has chosen to abandon the original works of art. Should they thus be destroyed and forgotten in time? Out of some absurd "ownership" theory of modern American copyright law?

Hell no.
    Oh wise one,

We are not talking about copyrights. We are talking about the fact he made the movie and he felt it was incomplete until he made the special editions.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Martyn1980
    I think people are taking this too serious, they're only films, and its not like GL has said that all original editions have to be binned.

He, for whatever reasons he has reason he has, doesn't want to release the originals as well, which would seem like a cash in anyway if he did.

Considering all this fuss about how shit these new editions are, and the piracy
    rules on here, who has actually saw these films?
    I love the special editions.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I think the original Star Wars was at one time available on Laser Disc so one could make a backup to DVDR from the Laser (near DVD quality). Also I see Illegal DVD's of the original Star Wars on eBay all the time (Must be from China or perhaps some other hole in the wall).
    Quote Quote  
  19. Sometimes remakes are better than originals. At least, I have one thing in mind. Weather Report recorded Three Views of a Secret, written by Jaco Pastorius, the bass player for the band on the album Night Passages. Jaco then recorded 3 Views of a Secret (how it was read on the album), on his solo effort recording, Word of Mouth. And in my opinion, and in most others, infact I have yet to come across someone who disagrees, that the Word of Mouth recording is better. It was just done better.

Maybe its different with music. And then again, he wasn't going back and taking the original recording and overdubbing stuff in, just re-arranging the song and re-recording it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In regards to releases of "art" being revised by the "artist", are there any King Crimson/Robert Fripp fans out their? Just like Lucas, Fripp is constantly retinkering with the mixes on re-releases of their music. Just like with SW, it drives the fans nuts (but makes the original release that much more valueable.) But since there are millions (?) of Star Wars VHS tapes out there, I doubt that they will ever become a collectors' item (well maybe 100 years from now...).

So if your fortunate enough to own the original but somewhat wornout releases, be happy you at least have that. If you never did, who knows, maybe you (or probably your kids) would never know the difference.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

The text for this is that Luke and Wedge are good friends and Luke tells Wedge that he want to be a Federation Pilot and get into the action. Does anyone know about this scene?
    I knew I had this book. Here are the scan pics. The actual page is a little funky because my scanner read it as a magaizine and not a photo so I didn't get the entire thing in color. But you get the picture.

EDIT - I'll say again it's BIGGS not Wedge!

I don't know how long I have had this book. Probably at least fifteen years. I'm sure it was used from a garage sale, though I don't know for sure. Sure is a nice piece of Star Wars history!

Kevin

EDIT - Here is one more screen shot - this is from the Behind The Magic CDROM:

Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    In regards to releases of "art" being revised by the "artist", are there any King Crimson/Robert Fripp fans out their? Just like Lucas, Fripp is constantly retinkering with the mixes on re-releases of their music. Just like with SW, it drives the fans nuts (but makes the original release that much more valueable.) But since there are millions (?) of Star Wars VHS tapes out there, I doubt that they will ever become a collectors' item (well maybe 100 years from now...).

So if your fortunate enough to own the original but somewhat wornout releases, be happy you at least have that. If you never did, who knows, maybe you (or probably your kids) would never know the difference.
    Dude,

Get over it.

It is just a movie.

If you were in Lucas' position, you would probably do the same thing.

The special editions are the finished product.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what all the fuss is about I have the new dvds and they are a work of art ,I personally like the new editions and I think they are better than the originals ,just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Although I don't like many of the changes, the new DVDs make the trilogy look and sound better than ever. (I have seen them already.) True, these are GL's film's and he can do whatever he wants with them. However, I think there is a HUGE market out there of people like myself who saw the originals when they were first released and would like to have those versions on DVD.

Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, and Ridley Scott have allowed both the original and special edition versions of their films to be released on DVD. Why couldn't Lucas?

The originals films had to be cleaned up first in order to do the 1997 Special Editions so the heavy work's already done. Even in a limited run, releasing the original Star Wars films will do at least two things.

1. Gain fans' and film historians' respect

2. MAKE ANOTHER BUNDLE OF CASH

It seems like it's a much bigger deal to NOT release them as opposed to just doing it and satisfying everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the store price going for the DVD's ??

And, are they setlling them each, or only set ??
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bazooka
    Dude,

Get over it.

It is just a movie.

If you were in Lucas' position, you would probably do the same thing.

The special editions are the finished product.
    Dude, take your own advice. You're complaining about people complaining about something they don't like.

I didn't want to say anything, but this is pretty hilarious. You keep saying how you're done arguing, but then you pop back in to add another "IT'S HIS MOVIE HE CAN DO WHAT HE WANTS, CHILL OUT". And the ridiculous thing is that you're actually annoyed that some of these people are mad at GL's decision.

I like the SE editions better also, but I can see why someone would want the originals on DVD. And by saying GL has the right to do whatever he wants with the movies, you're not enhancing anyone's knowledge. I haven't read each post word for word... has anyone said otherwise? Of course he can do what he wants with the movies, but I think he's a pretty big ******* for not sacraficing some of his "artistic vision" and simply adding the option to view the movies in their original form to the DVDs. It's that really a hard thing to do? Obviously he knows many fans out there (I ain't one of them) would appreciate that, but he apparantly doesn't care.

On a side note, I really don't remember there being that much difference between the SE versions and the originals. He added some cg stuff, right? And improved the sound and probably cleaned up the picture. Is that it? That scene with Jabba and Hon really made star wars a lot closer to his original idea?

As annoying as it is to listen to people argue or complain about something, it's even more annoying to listen to someone argue or complain about their arguing and complaining. Some people just like to argue and complain. Hell, sometimes I like to do it too. Who cares? Trying to stop them is stupid. Unless you're forced to read or listen to it, walk away... er, click the back button.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vhelp
    What is the store price going for the DVD's ??

And, are they setlling them each, or only set ??
    -vhelp
    It's selling in set for US$65(converted from local currency of S$109). I would pay for the original at the same price if GL release it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. makntraks wrote:

Then they should have never been released in the first place....
    Yes all aspiring filmakers should put they're career on hold and eat macaroni and cheese while technology catches up. Moron.

...and to all the other whiners on this forum

Thats exactly why Lucas has always been a pioneer to the craft. His innovations have propelled filmaking by leaps and bounds for nearly the last 30 years. So if he wants to polish up his creations then thats fine with me. He's earned it. It's his right and perogative to do so. Just like its your right and perogative to buy the damn DVD's or not. Lucas doesn't owe you a damn thing. It's been your choice to line his pockets for the last 20+ years. How about some personal resposibility people.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm going to the store first thing tuesday and buying the DVD's with a smile on my face. Some of you won't...

...BE SMILING THAT IS!!! But you'll still be in line behind me with the DVD's angrily tucked under your arm.

Have a nice day you infantile dorks.
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, here's to all ye defenders of "it's his film...let him do what he wants". Do you realize that you're defending a rather inept film-maker then?

Remember the ORIGINAL Empire Strikes Back? Remember the whole wampa scene where you can hear the tauntaun screaming and you could only IMAGINE the horror going on there?

Here's the new scene:

Luke wakes up with the tauntaun screaming in the background
    ...Cut to...
    The wampa eating some part of the tauntaun quite leisurely without a live tauntaun in sight. Clearly, the tauntaun must be dead otherwise you would expect a live animal putting up a fight and a rather voracious wampa trying to silence it.
    ...Cut to...
    Luke again with THE TAUNTAUN STILL SCREAMING.

You would expect that Mr. Lucas would at least maintain the basic premise of CONTINUITY (oh, yes, film students, it's a concept that is often forgotten) in his films, especially if he's going back to PERFECT them.

Pleeease. Stop defending someone who is so concerned about the effects that he can't see beyond what a simple editor should have caught (and probably did but got vetoed).
    "What? Huh?!? WHAT will come out no more?!?" Jack Burton -- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still confused.

I read somewheres today, that it's release date is September 21, 2004 of
    this year.. next week. But, you're saying it's already out now ?? and for is
    selling for $69 US dollars ??

-vhelp
    Quote Quote