VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have started to copy my Hi8 and DV tapes to dvd. Bought a Pinnacle Studio DV ver. 9 today. But I have found a problem. The movies looks nice and have good colors then playing in my camcorder - a Sony TRV 460 Digital8 - looking at the lcd. But then using Studio DV (and also WinDV) they have poor colors on my computer screen and seems to have lost contrast and are much darker. As newbe I hope someone can tell me what to do. As far I know are all settings correct (and I'm using firewire).
    Quote Quote  
  2. This article explains what you're running into (it's true of all DV):

http://www.signvideo.com/dv-black-levels-dvd-authoring-mpeg-2-part-1.htm

trock
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Lot's of variables here..... How the brightness and contrast is set on your TV, same thing for your monitor. Generally video will appear darker on a monitor. The software affects how it looks too, video made for TV doesn't look very good on a monitor. Your viewing software compensates for this. Burn a disc and see how it looks on a TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The other thing to remember is that the LCD in small DV cameras is backlit and oversaturated to allow for daylight filming. The only true way to see how it looks is on a studio monitor or TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Even on TV the colors looks washed out, dark and liveless. Then showing the movies from camcorder everything looks fine on TV. Can it be any settings to do in my camcorder? Btw I use PAL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of things to try

1. Create a small clip and author it to DVD-RW. Play this on your TV. If the colours are OK, then it is your monitor's calibration throwing the colours off. Try to get your PC monitor and TV close enough together to be able to adjust your monitor to match, or else do it by eye.

2. If the colours are still washed out, then it something in the editing program or the encoding process affecting the clip. Look for filters you may have applied or anything else that could change the output.

3. Try a different editing program to see if this changes the output.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1. The colors are still washed out. TV and PC monitor close adjusted.
    2. No filters applied or anything else that can change the output (as far I find out).
    3. Have tryed both WinDV and Pinnacle studio, both shows same result = washed out and dark colors.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Have had something similar happen if I had more than 1 video player/capture program open at 1 time.
    I would have to capture the DV file and then close all programs and then reopen the DV file in say media player classic or an other video player.
    After I did this, the computer would display the video with correct colors.
    Not sure if the same problem, but just a suggestion.
    Quote Quote