VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hey guys
    I need some help; I have a bunch of paintball videos which are in avi format. HOw would I be able to put these vids on a normal cd and play them one my dvd player. I remember my friend did it. Its because I dont have a dvd burner only a cd burner.

2. Jorge, I presume this is your first venture into conversion. Okay, you're talking about VCDs or SVCDs, let's leave CVDs and mini-DVDs out of it.

First thing you need to know is if your standalone DVD player will play VCDs and/or SVCDs. Check your model number against the DVD Player list <-- over there. (How about filling out your details while you're at it?).

As a starting point, I recommend you try DIKO, it's an all-in-one converter using freeware. Click on the link, and be sure to read Baldrick"s guide. The Film Machine is another all-in-one.

There are lots of other methods and tools for AVI-VCD conversion, some of them freeware, you'll find them under Tools>Video Encoders. And as to guides, go to All Guides>Format Conversion>AVI to VCD or AVI to SVCD. Lots of information there, maybe too much.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

3. Member
    Search PM
    Actually Im not too new to conversions, I had to convert these vids from wmv to avi, wasnt to hard I guess. I started about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know on the progress.

4. Moved to Newbie conversion

/Moderator bugster

5. Member
    Search PM
    Ok, My dvd does play vcd's and svcd. All I want to do is put all the vids on a normal cd, burn it, then play it on my dvd. There are about 5 vids; if I joined them all using vegas 4.0 will it affect the process.

Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Jorge - quick note: Some dvd players don't play cd-r's only cdrw's. You might want to also check that out on your model before you make too many coasters Good luck.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

7. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I'll check that out, thanks buddy.

8. Member
    Search PM
    Well I checked it out. Here is the link
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=2645&Search=Search&#comments

It seems to play cd-r's and cdrw's, oh one more thing, cd-r's are normal blank cd's that you use to burn music or data right.

Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by Jorge
    cd-r's are normal blank cd's that you use to burn music or data right.
    Yep.

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

10. Member
    Search PM
    Great, I just wanted to make sure. So what is the best program to use to convert these AVI videos so I can play them on my dvd using cd-r cds'. One more thing, its better to convert them to svcd then vcd, doesnt svcd have better quality.

11. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I downloaded "The film machine" conversion program and Quenc, because it said I needed it. Now what do I do next? Can someone point me to it. Is there any other programs I need? Below is some of the video information

Media length
    7min 11.446 sec

Audio format
    MPEG Layer-3,127 kBit/s, 44,100 Hz, Stereo

Video format
    320 x 208, 24 Bits, 12907 Frames, 29.970 Frames/Sec, 127 KB/Sec, DivX® codec

12. Member
    Search PM
    Ok I did the conversion, but I just got the sound, and the video doesnt play, and both of them are in seprerate files, one is sound and the other is video. After the conversion what must I do to combine the two? And when I get that done, what do I do to burn them, just pick it and burn it to a cdr?

Search PM
    SVCD is better than VCD, given a decent source. Considering the file details you have given, I don't think there would be any benefit in going to SVCD. In fact, it would most likely look worse IMO.

I suggest you go to the convert section to your left and look for guides dealing with AVI to VCD conversion.
    If in doubt, Google it.

14. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah I think your right. I just watched the vids out of my archos 320 media player and it looks pixled. So encoding them to a cd to play wouldnt be worth it I guess.

Now I do have a dvd movie which I would like to make a copy of, but I dont have a dvd burner, so how could I get it to a normal blank cd, using my normal burner?

Search Comp PM
    R E A D T H E G U I D E S left, there are many on the subject of DVD to SVCD/VCD.
    Please come back with questions if something won't work.

/Mats

Search PM
    Yeah I think your right. I just watched the vids out of my archos 320 media player and it looks pixled. So encoding them to a cd to play wouldnt be worth it I guess.

Now I do have a dvd movie which I would like to make a copy of, but I dont have a dvd burner, so how could I get to a normal blank cd, using my normal burner?
    Try the guide here.
    If in doubt, Google it.

17. look at my signature for converting low rez divx to VCD/SVCD using TMPGENC. That guide should give you the information you need to do the conversion correctly.

18. Fast and easy way to do it, avi2vcd. Since you want to put it on a cd (vcd), just run your files through this, and then put them into your vcd burning software.

19. Member
    Search PM
    Do I need a special vcd burning software??? What do you mean Garibaldi

20. Do I need a special vcd burning software??? What do you mean Garibaldi
    Sorry, let me explain the process starting with avi2vcd. First, import your avi file into avi2vcd. Then set your target mpeg file (output file) and then also set your ntsc or pal (ntsc is united states and canada, pal is europe). Then click encode and let it run. Once you do this with all your tools, download vcdimager and vcdimagergui. Your question is asking about the burning software, and if you are just using the software that came with your computer, it probably will cost you extra for the upgrade for burning vcds, or you can just use vcdimager. Import your mpeg files into vcdimager and set the bin output file. All this will do is change your mpegs into dat files (not true mpegs) and add a few other files so that your dvd player will recognize them. This is stored in a .bin file. Now download isobuster. The open the .bin file in isobuster. You will see something like this with all these folders:

Extract all those folders to a directory. Then open up whatever burning software you have and select "make a data cd". Then drag all those folders (and only those folders) onto the cd and burn. That's it. What you pay for in commercial software is to automate that process so people don't have to spend the time and energy, plus you can make menus. I am happy to help with any other problems.

21. CVD Lives forever! (1/2 D1, Oh Yeah!)

Oh, and most DVD players that play VCD/SVCD/CVD will play back on any CD-R so you don't have to spend all your money on RW (but if you only want to watch one or twice and dump, CD-RW may be the proper route!)

Search PM
    Now I do have a dvd movie which I would like to make a copy of, but I dont have a dvd burner, so how could I get it to a normal blank cd, using my normal burner?
    Eazy VCD and the guide here.
    If in doubt, Google it.

23. Member
    Search PM
    wow thanks alot guys, Im working on it as speak. Thank you very much Garibaldi, and jimmalenko youve helped alot.

24. Member
    Search PM
    where do I download the vcdimager program, I went to the site but their is no download page.

Search Comp PM
    i hate to ask why you have a copy of vegas and asking these questions -- since you could have done the whole thing in vegas to begin with ..

you said the source was wmv (which IS an avi btw) and converted it to avi (which means nothing as there are 50 types of avi or more) -- why did you convert ?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

26. Member
    Search PM
    The reason why is because my archos 320 media player can only read true avi files.

27. Member
    Search PM
    If you know how to do it through vegas then give me a hand here.

28. Member
    Search PM
    how can I get vcdimager I went to the download site, but there is no download there, it says something about ftp.

Search Comp PM
    to do it in vegas --- load the files

edit

render as mpeg1 , profile ntsc (or pal) vcd

load mpg file it makes in nero - selecting vcd template

burn

watch
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

Search Comp PM
    The reason why is because my archos 320 media player can only read true avi files.
    no such thing as a "true" avi file .... avi is just a container ... as is quicktime