VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I Prefer The Forum With...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Originally Posted by gbdcfb1
    Who the **** cares how many squares of TGPO I use to wipe my ass
    Most people use 7
    He:

Hardcoreruss
    Hadda Brinsing

Now uses 9 high quality, double ply...
    Remember he got that bitchin' raise... bling, bling!

makntraks
    In the theater of the mind...
    It's always good to know where the exits are...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @Cap:
    If you interpreted it that way, then so be it.

I didn't
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    @Cap:
    If you interpreted it that way, then so be it.

I didn't
    Sorry to all. Just venting a bit. Sometimes I forget I wear the "mod" hat too. Gotta stop flame wars and not start them.

No offense intended dphirshler
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Sometimes I forget I wear the "mod" hat too. Gotta stop flame wars and not start them.
    I was thinking that when you vented
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was just thinking you missed the point, regardless of what fell out of your hat wardrobe this morning, but you must have missed my post
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    We're people, and not just DVD-burning machines,
    Personally I am a worn out old Pioneer A03 with hacked firmware providing my AI (though some may argue with the I) .

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ... but since 65% of my posts fall into the OT category, the "pathetic" comment was aimed squarely at me.

Closer to 66%, I'd say :P

Not to be outdone, here's a few more interesting breakdowns. I'll omit the names so as not to offend anyone:

Interesting.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bugster
    Personally I am a worn out old Pioneer A03 with hacked firmware providing my AI (though some may argue with the I) .

Then I owe you an apology
    I had you down as an x1 Panasonic LF-D311 with a faulty drive mechanism.
    Again, sorry
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Will Hay

Then I owe you an apology
    I had you down as an x1 Panasonic LF-D311 with a faulty drive mechanism.
    Again, sorry
    Will
    Apology accepted.

:P
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Will Hay
    I was just thinking you missed the point, regardless of what fell out of your hat wardrobe this morning, but you must have missed my post
    Will
    No I read your post. I read all of your posts - even the old ones

I think "what we have here ....is a failure to communicate"

Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Closer to 66%, I'd say
    Thanks Jimm ..

Personally I am a worn out old Pioneer A03 with hacked firmware providing my AI (though some may argue with the I)
    I knew it. And we all thought tgpo was the only mod-bot

I'm riding the cotton pony today. It should pass soon ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    The OT is the socializing forum here. What's pathetic about cultivating friendships? What's pathetic about wandering over there because you get tired of reading the same "OK. I've got these files ...how do I get them on the DVD?" for the thousandth time and are so bored you want to scream?
    Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I simply meant that I find it rather pathetic using your post count as a symbol of status, especially in the "off topic" forum. I didn't mean to come off as some sort of "elitist".

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  12. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    The OT is the socializing forum here. What's pathetic about cultivating friendships? What's pathetic about wandering over there because you get tired of reading the same "OK. I've got these files ...how do I get them on the DVD?" for the thousandth time and are so bored you want to scream?
    Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I simply meant that I find it rather pathetic using your post count as a symbol of status, especially in the "off topic" forum. I didn't mean to come off as some sort of "elitist".

Darryl
    Understood. And no apology necessary.

Now I see it wasn't an attack on the OT regulars ...just the folks who post for posting sake. I agree that it's pathetic. I've said as much several times in the recent OT discussions.

When I was newer here and saw Will Hay's post about wishing he could get his post count reset to zero, I thought "what, is he nuts?" Now I understand.

I've never equated post count with knowledge (once I got past my noobishness) because I have seen so many exquisitely accurate and perceptive technical posts by folks with relatively low post counts. In fact, I think that a low post count might just be as good an indicator as a high one ...as in "There's someone who doesn't post often, but when he does ...people take notice"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like seeing the post counts, it gives me a gauge of what the poster has been up to (yes, I know I just ended a sentence with a preposition, but everyone else does it). I cannot imagine someone who has a post count greater than 500 to have made 500 useful posts (well, maybe one or two of the regulars). I high post means to me that this poster love to BS in the forums, and their posts may reflect that fact.

I'm no expert at any means, but I've solved some problems and I enjoy sharing them with a post when its appropriate. Thank god for all the other posters who do the same. IMHO is irritating when a thead that started with good intentions turns into a post whore orgy. I wish such individual would use PMs to tell their sorid tales to each other rather than wasting the forums' bandwidth with such useless junk.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    I wish such individual would use PMs to tell their sorid tales to each other rather than wasting the forums' bandwidth with such useless junk.
    I think you'll find that PMs use the same bandwidth as forum posts, so either way ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan
    I wish such individual would use PMs to tell their sorid tales to each other rather than wasting the forums' bandwidth with such useless junk.
    Hmmmmmmm. That uses bandwidth too. I guess you did not think about that.

Just because we bs, does not mean we don't help. My areas that I help out in are dvd-to dvd-r, file conversion, computers, and audio.

I love to hang out in the Off-topic forum, but that doesn't mean I am not helpful.

I think you should rethink things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I knew this would happen.....

I was not trying to attack having some fun on the forum. I voted for "a place to hang out..". BS was not to be taken in a negative sense...maybe small talk would have been a better term. My point is that for me, a very high post count signals that the poster loves to post, and MAY be posting only for that very fact. I was not generalizing that all such posts are useless. Each post stands on its own merit, regardless of the post count of the poster. But FOR ME, I watch out for some posters with high post counts for their post may be a subtle way that they toy with forum posters. As always, large grains of salt are (usually) required...
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  17. I like post counts. They remind me of just how big my penis really is.

(A humorous reference to Hardcoreruss's old signature line...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I like post counts. They remind me of just how big my penis really is.

(A humorous reference to Hardcoreruss's old signature line...)

Good to see you back, Indo. Your ability to drop one-liners is unrivalled.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blah ..... Forum is fine, has been fine, will remain fine.

Well lookie here 1000.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    I liked someone's suggestion which said to deduct the off topic from the post count...giving people here a chance to banter without clogging up the other categories is actually a good thing - keeps the community sense, which is one of the reasons this board is so good and is what it is ... post count is only a measure of activity, not of skill or knowledge .....
    You said yourself that the post count is not a measure of skill or knowledge. Then why remove it? A post count is merely a counter that shows how many times you have hit the "submit" button, whether it's the technical gem of the century, or a sarcastic observation on whether or not Britney Spears is the hottest thing going.

Whether the count stays away or comes back ....who cares? It's just a counter. So is "Joined Date". Is someone who joined in 2001, then forgot all about the site until 2004, when they put up 5 posts about DVD media any more valuable to this board than someone who joined this year and has been an active daily member since joining? Joined date is just as meaningless as post count. Leave them both, take away one or the other ...it doesn't matter to me since neither means anything.
    yes
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just get rid of the post counts altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holistic
    Blah ..... Forum is fine, has been fine, will remain fine.

Well lookie here 1000.

Noob!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I want my post count reset to zero.

I care more about helping and socializing than my post count.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A Fun Board To Hang Out And Have Fun, But Not Waste Server Space With Pointless Crap.

I used to visit here everyday and enjoyed discussing things with the other members but lately it just seems like there is so many pointless discussions. You can open up alot of topics with a large number of replies and check out the last few replies and it won't have anything to do with the starting post or topic.

Just take a look at where this thread has gone.

I like joking around with friends that I have made here but it seems as though that is all that is going on around here.

And I am not bashing threads started in the off-topic forum, I understand that forum is for any type of open discussions.

Sorry guys, I sound like and old grumpy man.

SLICK RICK
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLICK RICK
    You can open up alot of topics with a large number of replies and check out the last few replies and it won't have anything to do with the starting post or topic.
    That is why it is called OFF TOPIC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gitreel
    You can open up alot of topics with a large number of replies and check out the last few replies and it won't have anything to do with the starting post or topic.
    Come-on now, I don't know who you are trying to fool but we both know it is not only happining in the off-topic section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this thread in the off-topic forum?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I was replying to you. The threads that get jacked are usually in the off-topic section.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was replying to you. The threads that get jacked are usually in the off-topic section.
    Maybe that are the only ones you notice because that is where you spend majority of your time here.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I do stray from that to the other forums.
    Quote Quote