VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    could you also introduce a feature where we can rate other members based on the quality of their advice...so newbie can tell who they can trust and not depend on the number of post counts or joined date?
    hacking the Net using typewriter :D
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So even if he gets lucky and gives the correct answer to a problem, we can dismiss it out of hand because he has a bad rep.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not a good idea...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Probably not the best idea in that form.

What about giving the Original Poster the power to nominate an individual post in the thread that solved his/her query ? Kinda like highlighting the answer to save everyone reading countless posts.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit:

could you also introduce a feature where we can rate other members based on the quality of their advice...so newbie can tell who they can trust and not depend on the number of post counts or joined date?
    ...terrible idea, at least on this site
    W.
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko

What about giving the Original Poster the power to nominate an individual post in the thread that solved his/her query ? Kinda like highlighting the answer to save everyone reading countless posts.
    How about trying all suggestions, then posting which one worked?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    EDITED ... user error
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought popularity contests ended ith high school ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I thought popularity contests ended ith high school ?
    Where ya been, Slick? Beauty pageants, fashion, make up, body building, policical elections, the list goes on and on. High school was only the warm up drill.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker

It seems that the simplest solutions are often the best

Pity reality doesn't reflect this.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Excellent suggestion.

Wait ...hey We already use that system
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster

Excellent suggestion.

Wait ...hey We already use that system
    That's why this entire thread has me rolling on the floor.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by d_unbeliever

Bad idea.

This has 'Popularity Contest' written all over it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont like this idea like everyone else said it is like a popularity contest and only the cool ones wins ( I was never one for coolness ) I am just here to help and to be helped ...and there is no stupid suggestions as long as an individual honestly tries.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Worst. Idea. Ever.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, it could become a revenge/"I hate you" tool. Kind of like how there are shills on both sides of the Tools comments. You end up getting Naked Geek-type situations.
    Quote Quote  
  16. How about using their avatar to rate their level of experience...oh wait Baldrick did away with avatars.
    Quote Quote  
  17. https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1035454#1035454

Avatars are back. Baldrick didn't remove them - they were lost in the move to the new server.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what are u afraid of
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually a user rating system similar to what www.experts-exchange uses (or similar to) could work very well here.

Basically when you join the group you get a certain amount of points.
    When you ask a question you assign some of your points to the question - depending on how complex you feel the question is depends on how many points you allocate it. There are min/max limits on the number of points you can assign to a question.

Other people answer your question as per normal- when you get a answer that either works or most suitably answered your question you close that thread and award the points to that poster.

The more awarded points - and you earn points be correctly answering questions - the higher your "level" I think experts-exchange uses levels like master, guru, wizard, genius, etc. This gives people a reason to trust the person is giving them good information - because they have lots of points means that they are giving out good information and not just posting "me too" posts to clock up their count (not needed anymore) or they joined up a long time ago but made few posts (like me )

This could cut down thread jacking, and hopefully some of the abusive comments that are really just personal opinions - because people wouldn't get awarded points unless they provided good technical information.

Granted that this system isn't perfect - I'm not claiming it is, after all video is slightly different to networking or programming - after all network people rarely have arguements about whether to use a particular brand of network card as people here argue over a dvd player or worse media but I think that in some forums this would solve a number of problems. You could have certain forums "no points needed" areas - such as OT and feedback to name but two...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that the rating already exists in the minds of frequent vistors of the site - at least it does in mine.

There are certain members whose opinions I value and respect.

Of course, I have a few other names in mind and I sometimes make a post search by poster name for "entertainment".
    The more I learn, the more I come to realize how little it is I know.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SaSi
    I think that the rating already exists in the minds of frequent vistors of the site - at least it does in mine.

There are certain members whose opinions I value and respect.

Of course, I have a few other names in mind and I sometimes make a post search by poster name for "entertainment".
    Agreed. I think any kind of rating system would be ignored anyways. We all have our favorite posters here ....the ones whose posts we always look at first.

We're all theoretically equal here anyways. I treat excellent noob posts the same way I would treat one by adam or rallynavvie. Good technical information ...regardless of who posted it. "Weighing" posts by a member's perceived value to the site is just silly. Baaaaad idea :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yup D_Knife i was thinking of the rating system used by www.experts-exchange, it's very good and very helpful.

D_Knife said:
    This could cut down thread jacking, and hopefully some of the abusive comments that are really just personal opinions - because people wouldn't get awarded points unless they provided good technical information.

EXACTLY my point, things for pointing that out! D_Knife

i knew already people whom i can trust their opinion here and those who talked too much nonsense(sometimes misleading) that i ignore reading their useless comments...
    but for those who are new to the site and who don't know the people here i think this is good for them...

it's for the Administrator to decide anyway ...i'm will be happy if this is not implemented or implemented.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MAYBE some of us don't like this idea because they know that they will not get any points or good rating by other members because they talked too much nonsense most of the time, they don't have nothing good or productive to say, their are very abusive of their freedom to say anything and does not care how the others would feel about their comments and/or they feel happy just being able to vent their angst at somebody...this may also limit their freedom to say anything they want in anyway they want so they don't like the idea...just my theory...I could be VERY wrong
    Does these kind of people exist here? I don't know

i will gladly give a very HIGH rating to those who could help me with my questions as a way of saying thanks and this will give the person the Number of "Thank you, you helped me" given to him by other people. It's like a form of reward to that person for being helpful and other people can see it...

i know personally, you feel happy that you helped other people and they can just say their thanks and that's enough(i think most of the most helpful persons here feel this way)...but i think other people should also see how helpful and informative you are. Since we can't pay those HELPFUL individuals ...let us give them ALL the necessary credits that they deserve in EVERYWAY we can...They deserve to be IMMORTALIZE 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MAYBE some of us don't like this idea because they don't care too much about what other people think of them. Also, as seen by the post whoring fiascos, giving people a running count is only going to result in "Top ten points-scorers for September 2004" threads and the like.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Good concept, but I don't think it would work here. Lots of non-professionals, transients, etc. Not to mention the fact that a large percentage of posters never bother to inform the group which, if any, of the offered solutions worked. These people would be unlikely to fill out any rating info, either.

As others have mentioned, you kinda get a feel for who is knowledgable in which areas, and who just tends to spew BS. Then there are those who mean well and truly do not know that they do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I voted for you Supreme

Quote Quote  
  27. I suggested something like this before years ago...

It probably isn't as easy to implement as it sounds. Especially if we want to create a system that won't get abused by "post whores"...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    I suggested something like this before years ago...

It probably isn't as easy to implement as it sounds. Especially if we want to create a system that won't get abused by "post whores"...

Regards.
    Rating whores. *shudders*
    Quote Quote