VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I understand that most DVDs are authored in a 16:9 aspect ratio, thus you can see black bars when you playback on a 4:3 TV.

However, there are some movies which are originally produced with black bars, meaning that even if you buy the VHS tape of that movie, you will see black bars during playback. Allow me to call these "original black bars".

QUESTION : How can I understand if the black bars in a DVD are created by the different aspect ratio or if they are "original black bars" ?

I am asking that because if a movie is originaly created with black bars, then I want to keep those bars in my SVCD when I rip the DVD.

Thx in advance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iparout on 2001-11-22 15:35:36 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hollywoods movies come usually with 1:1,85 or 1:2,35 aspect ratio. DVD MPEG is usually encoded with 16:9 aspect ratio. That's why these movies have black bars.
    Play the DVD with a software dvd player like WinDVD and you will see, what is "original".
    Quote Quote  
  3. but there are still some 4:3 widescreen DVDs out there....
    Quote Quote